planning for re-install of engine

Peterdroy66

OK, my engine is out - question is - how far can I build it up on a stand with out making the re-installation too difficult?
I'm thinking - heads/valve covers/intake manifold for certain installed, and likely exhaust manifolds, but what about accesories and brackets etc?
Pete

You might wanna wait before installing your power steering lines, rad hoses, tranny cooler lines, wiring harness, engine mounts or it could get very tricky. trust me. i learned the hard way:eek:

I had to leave the PS assy off but was able to bolt up the AC bracket, but I left my compressor on the car and didn't disconnect it.

Of course I installed the intake but left the blower off.

what to have on the engine

I am getting ready to re-install now...
It sounds like the Pass side acc bracket can be in place. Yes my Compressor is still on the car.
My power steering pump is still in the car, wondering if that acc bracket can be in place, or will it be too difficult to get the motor mount bolts into place?
Also, with the blower inplace - might be too difficult to access the upper bell housing bolts, and the intake manifold inlet (pressurized area) might interfere with the wiper cowl/wiper motor parts?
I'm trying to do as much as I can on a stand without cause grief when it comes to the install.
My rad is still in the car, if it matters, it could come out very quickly, wasn't a problem in the removal.
any other comments on this?

I left the accessory brackets and accessorys off till I got the motor mounts in. Life is a lot easier if you remove the wiper assembly, then you can bolt the intake plenims and blower on in one piece and you can get to the upper belhousing bolts a lot easier.

If you leave the PS assembly bracket on during install make sure the return IC tube is placed roughly where it'll be normally. Otherwise you'll have to loosen the bracket considerably to sneak the tube behind after the fact.

i put everything on,
INCLUDING THE M5R2 hehe
pics...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 127
  • aAunTkZC-OU38WMxdlP+RKN4MWkR-4Bb0300.jpg
    aAunTkZC-OU38WMxdlP+RKN4MWkR-4Bb0300.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 116
method

Did you not have trouble getting at bellhousing bolts, motor mount bolts etc?
looks like you removed the wiper cowl assembly - that is an easy trade off if the motor can go in more complete.
Did you have any trouble engaging the inputshaft, and getting the bellhousing aligned to the engine and mated nicely?
These are the things that concern me, also as for the intercooler lower tube and all its hardware interfering with the motor mount pin.

Pete

get that rad out. it can be tough to mate the tranny and the motor together. you will have some trouble because the tranny and the motor fight each other so you gotta get them as close together as possible and thread in the bell housing bolts like half turns at a time to prevent from tearing out the treads

i put my tranny and engine bolted up, cowl off yes!
And i left the radiator in too

EVEN tho XR7 dave said it couldnt be done:rolleyes:

-Tony

Great news...Another install in progress....Yippee....Good news..

All my motor swaps have been nice.None done on SCz yet though...

I never bolt the tranny up to the motor and drop it in....But from pics on this forum it looks like the easiest way....Ill try it when I finally rebuild my lower end.....

With the radiator....I always like mine out if its easy enough.....Everytime Ive left mine in Ive always brushed or gouged the fins..But we have no fan blades to deal with....Just a big crank pulley.......

Bell housing bolts and motor mount bolts...My experience is to have about 2-3 foot worth of extensions and a nice tight swivel...But there seems to be plenty of room if your cowl is off..

If it were me and I had 3 buddies around Id bolt up everything and have everyone help guide her in slowly and one running the cherry picker...And another to get pizza/parts/and liquids.......Good luck and great news...

F1

It is in now

OK this afternoon I installed.
I removed the lower intercooler tube because with the hood on, and my chain I could not quite get it high enough to clear the rad support. With this gone I was able to get the motor in, and start going down as I moved back.
It has BOTH accessory brackets on, but the steering pump is not in place.
Motor mounts were not a problem, the return air plenum into the intake was in place as well.
Was a bit difficult getting it to align with the tranny and at the same time get the motor mounts 'over' the perches on the subframe. two of us jockey'd it around and got things engaged and set up. Did it in about 1.5 hrs taking our time.
Button up time now!
I took the wiper cowl off completely as I figured it is not hard to do and is easy to replace, probably worth doing.
Pete

Back