Head gasket ?

skeem187

Here's the scenerio. I changed my belts & installed teflon seals on ic tubes & blower top. When installing the serpentine belt you have to disconnect coolant tube to the engine. I changed the oil & refilled the coolant. About two days later I notice the temperature gauge is a little higher than normal. Checked the coolant level & it was low. Filled it up & continued driving with no issues. The next day on my way to work I noticed my temp gauge needle was right in the middle after only driving approx 2 miles. On my way back home the needle got all the way to the m on norm, checked coolant again & again it was low. No smoke is coming out of tail pipe but where is the coolant going? BTW if anyone in the Austin, Tx. knows a good SC mechanic that doesn't charge an arm & a leg let me know. Last one charged my $850 for a clutch job & I furnished all the parts. Oh, I forgot also installed a 10% pulley but I do have an aftermarket exhaust from the cats on back no headers. TIA

i dont think all the air had gotten out of the system. when u fill the system up theres a relief valve that should be open its right next to the coil pack.

u dont see any puddles on the ground when u leave a parking spot do u ?

you would probably notice moisture in the exhaust or a milky color to your oil. I agree with the guy above. the system needs to be filled with the plug removed or it will vapor lock

when u fill the system up theres a relief valve that should be open its right next to the coil pack.
I actually found out about this plug today and i've had my bird for 12 years :D my friend pointed it out to me when i was refilling my radiator. i told him i've noticed it before, but never read it... you see, the writing is in red and it looks like a warning sign so my brain just ignored it. anyhow, thats probably what your problem is, i had the same problem today. turns out there was a huge air bubble in my system.

good luck!

90% of people never ever notice it. they should've painted it bright yellow or something :p

you dont notice it because you wouldnt expect it to be cooling related..

they should have put a sticker by the rad cap saying what to do and all..

not that my car has any of the stickers under the hood anymore?? owell

The motor is locked up. Gonna get a big breaker bar & a couple of friends and try to break it loose. If that doesn't work I 'll have to hope Santa brings me a new motor for Christmas

Back