Gas

Chambers

Alright filled my car with 15 gallons worth 92 octane 190 miles later filling up again. The car is stock accept 3.73 gears and its an auto. Whats up with this? Smells like its running really rich sometimes. :confused: Thats about 12.6 miles to the gallon.

Last edited:
What was it getting before for MPG? Has it been cold in your area? Is that when you noticed the drop in MPG? Are you running a 180 degree F thermostat? Sure your ECT sensor is working correctly?

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. If the engine is stock you are definately losing gas mileage somewhere. My thoughts were if the ECT is not functioning correctly but has not failed open it is not telling the computer you have reached normal operating temperatures thus you are staying in cold start strategy which is like running around with a choke on all the time (in the old days that is...now they are electronic) If the sensor failed open it would throw a check engine light. The sensor you want to possibly change is the one on the passenger side front of the engine block to the side of the thermostat housing (NOT the one mounted on the thermostat housing which is for the coolant temperature gage itself)

Sure it could....it could be a wide variety of things causing the problem. But based on what you described it is my best SWAG at this time. Also relatively cheap to try and something that will eliminate one potential reason that could be listed.

Old & new Bosch Oxygen sensors can give bad gas mileage.
Try NGK's from sparkplugs.com
I got an extra mile or two to the gallon. around $35ea

Last edited:
Back