oil pump replacement

tydlwavs

I picked up a 95 engine with 80k miles. I'm having a BHJ installed, the main bearings replaced and a rear main installed.

Would it be a good idea to get a new oil pump for the engine before dropping it into the car? Are they still available from Ford?

I'm looking for any possible advice for dropping a 95 engine into a 90. I will be converting to manual brakes before summer too.

You can buy a Melling M246 Pump which is the aftermarket equivalent for the 94-95 oil pump. I had one installed on my 92 last Jan. by Dave Dalke when the seal between the originally installed pump and block failed. I bought it from Summitt for around $90.00. At the time I did not know for sure where the leak was coming from and it seemed prudent to replace the pump since he had to diassemble "stuff" to find the leak.

The normal 3.8 pump is so simple in its design, other than something such as impact damage, there's almost nothing that can go wrong with it. The seal between the pump housing and the block is a large O ring and that can shrink and harden with age and allow leaks, but a new O ring or a bead of RTV sealant usually fixes it up. Dissassemble one and you'll see there's almost nothing to it..

Tip: it must be primed upon reassembly to close the air gap between the gears or it will not displace the air from the pump body and pickup tube... in other words, it will just spin and not pump. A tablespoon or 2 of oil should do it. Or, coat the gears with vaseline.

What I'm asking is if this is a good thing to add to the list of parts. I found that pump on Summitracing a couple days ago, but I was undecided if I needed it.

A new oil pump is always a good idea. it will come with a new housing and impellers and a new pressure relief valve. This will allow for tolerances to tighten back up, improving oil pressure. Check the wear on the timing cover surface that the impellers work against. You may want to get it machined if there are deep grooves, or even replace it.

Todd,

I have a brand new in the box, Melling oil pump for an 89-93 SC that I would sell you for $35 shipped if you wanted to save money over buying a '95 pump. The only difference is the '95 pump has an extra fin to provide slightly higher oil volume potential. Both pumps are interchangable.

PM me if you are interested. I bought one of these, then lost it in my storage, and bought a second one, then found this first one, haha. So I don't need it.

Jeramie

A new oil pump is always a good idea. it will come with a new housing and impellers and a new pressure relief valve. This will allow for tolerances to tighten back up, improving oil pressure. Check the wear on the timing cover surface that the impellers work against. You may want to get it machined if there are deep grooves, or even replace it.

Does the front cover need to be fully replaced or is this wear area a serviceable piece? I've never had the pump off and I'll have my engine shop do the install on my 95 engine.

THanks,
Todd

Does the front cover need to be fully replaced or is this wear area a serviceable piece? I've never had the pump off and I'll have my engine shop do the install on my 95 engine.

THanks,
Todd

Todd,

It's not a servicable area...when worn the timing cover needs to be replaced.

David

Todd,

It's not a servicable area...when worn the timing cover needs to be replaced.

David

Actually, the surface can be machined if its not too deep. There is a guy on Ebay who sells remanufactured timing covers for our engines. I think its right around $100. But it also includes a new relief valve and spring, new pump shaft bushing, and a freshly machined pump surface. A local SC'er had his front cover machined at an engine shop for $60 as well and is using it with no problems in his daily driver SC.

Jeramie

Back