head lights shorting out!?!?!!

Riz06

..last i wanted to go somewhere, so as usual i got in my car and went to turn on my headlights (cuz it was dark). Well my headlights decided they didn't want to go on. This isn't the first time this has happened, most of the time i just flick my brights on really quick and my headlights turn right on....but this time no such luck...so i after playing around with my all my lights for about 30 min i got cold and gave up..when i was playing around with them they would turn on for a few seconds then turn off..so im guessing it is a short. but i have no idea where to look or what to look for..any help is great and thanks in advance.

It is quite likely the multi-function switch which is burned out. The same pattern has affected many of us. I replaced the switch with OEM from Ford and THEN put a relay in the fog lamp circuit otherwise it would burn out again. Great design - they ran full amps of the fog lamps through the multi-function switch.

thanks, i used "search" and couldnt find a single post about it so i figured it wasn't a common problem..but i guess i was wrong

jonroe is most likely correct, i had that go out on my 92 sport once. got 1 from the ford dealer at an ok price and fixed the prob. a philips screw driver and nut driver is all you'll need to replace it :D

Same here. I rolled the dice with a 5dollar junkyard switch. It's currently working fine with 80watt low beams

I agree with the above comments, but I would also check the headlight switch itself to make sure it hasn't overheated too. If the connector to the multifunction switch is melted, it may be wise to repair or replace it as well.

When I used the fog lamps and headlights at the same time, I would loose the headlights. Fix was relay harness for headlights from SCP.

Back