Roll cage-Placement of front door bars

Slysc

I'm wondering where to connect the front bars of the 8 pt. roll cage to the floor. They are long enough that I could put them on the firewall. I was considering putting them through the side cowl section and into the rocker panel.

Also, how high up on the loop side should I put it? There are lots of different ways I could do it and still comply with the rules.

Dan,

Chris Wise welded his onto a 6" X 6" 1/8" plate that was welded to the floor at the front of the footwell (a little past the dead pedal). To be legal the side bar must be positioned such an angle that the bar passes between the drivers shoulder and elbow before attaching to the main hoop. I may be necessary to do a little bending on the bar to obtain clearance for the interior door panels.

David

PS: Keep a fire extinguisher handy when welding that front bar.

I did swing out/removable door bars on mine, but the mounting can be done the same, or close to it.

alston-bar5.jpg

seatsin3.jpg

Full install
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/rollbar.htm

Roll Cage

2008 rules

Roll cage mandatory in full body car's running 10.99 or quicker or any car exeeding 135mph window net mandatory. Its best to get a 2008 NHRA rule book and get a scan from your NHRA division office (note) roll cage must be certified there is a lot to it than just installing one it has to be done right and with the rules

Last edited:
2008 rules

Roll cage mandatory in full body car's running 10.99 or quicker or any car exeeding 135mph window net mandatory. Its best to get a 2008 NHRA rule book and get a scan from your NHRA division office (note) roll cage must be certified there is a lot to it than just installing one it has to be done right and with the rules

So,they moved it from 11.49 to 10.99 in 08 :confused:

So,they moved it from 11.49 to 10.99 in 08 :confused:

NHRA 2008 rules

E.T classes, Sportsman, Pro, (section 5A) Roll Cage manatory in full body cars running 10.99et or quicker or 135mph or faster. Window net mandatory with full bady cars with roll cage

Roll bar mandatory full body cars running 11.49et or quicker you dont need a roll cage unless you go 10.99et or quicker or 135mph or faster

I think Dan's thread starter should say Roll Bar not roll cage adding a roll cage is a whole differaint deal with a lot of rules to go with it

Last edited:
Jim,
Thanks for the clarification and distinction between roll bar and roll cage. so its 11.49 for a roll bar and 10.99 for a cage. correct?

Rick

Jim,
Thanks for the clarification and distinction between roll bar and roll cage. so its 11.49 for a roll bar and 10.99 for a cage. correct?

Rick

Rick that is correct

On the roll bar all roll bars must be within 6 inch of the rear or side of the drivers head, extened hight at least 3 inches above the drivers helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at least as wide as the driver shoulders or within 1 inch of the driver door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to provent forward or lateral collapse. The rear braces must be the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 5 inches from top of the roll bar

Croosbar and rear braces must be welded to main hoop, sidebar must be included on divers side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow

392bird,

Your swing out bars look like the are mounted much higher on the loop than I'm planning to do. I figured I could put them at about armrest height and I would be able to get in and out without too much pain and suffering. Thanks for the picture.

Jim,
by any chance do you have pics of your old roll bar set-up. If I remember correctly, you had swing out door bars and I removeable rear cross bar. Pretty trick set up. Id Really like to see what your old set-up was like since mostly likely the most I'd need.

Rick

Jim,
by any chance do you have pics of your old roll bar set-up. If I remember correctly, you had swing out door bars and I removeable rear cross bar. Pretty trick set up. Id Really like to see what your old set-up was like since mostly likely the most I'd need.

Rick

Rick

Here is when it was installed before paint and interior was put back will post after pictures

Attachments

• Dcp_1052.jpg
    Dcp_1052.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Dcp_1047.jpg
    Dcp_1047.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 730
  • Dcp_1049.jpg
    Dcp_1049.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 950
  • Dcp_1048.jpg
    Dcp_1048.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 813
  • Dcp_1050.jpg
    Dcp_1050.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 996
Jim,

Rick

Rick

These are after paint and interior was put back in

Attachments

• Dcp_1054.jpg
    Dcp_1054.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Dcp_1057.jpg
    Dcp_1057.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 1,187
  • Dcp_1059.jpg
    Dcp_1059.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 1,387
  • Dcp_1060.jpg
    Dcp_1060.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 681
  • Dcp_1055.jpg
    Dcp_1055.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 756
Jim, in all seriousness, howcome you didnt put a cage in that would meet the goals you were shooting for ? That cage looks real nice, Im sure that it wasnt cheap. I just cant understand why do it twice, yahknow? Im sure you and your team didn't just overlook the fact that soon as you reached your goal youd need a new one...:confused:

Jim, in all seriousness, howcome you didnt put a cage in that would meet the goals you were shooting for ? That cage looks real nice, Im sure that it wasnt cheap. I just cant understand why do it twice, yahknow? Im sure you and your team didn't just overlook the fact that soon as you reached your goal youd need a new one...:confused:

Miller

When we built this roll bar in the pictures in 2002 we went thinking running 10's or 9's. The plan than was 11.50et now 2007 Chuck replaced two bars with 4130 chromoly to make it lighter thus still same roll bar. Now after running 10.65et we madechanges wanted to test it we wernt wanting to run 9's plan was 10.0's I did all I could I shifted way early to keep it in the 10's but it blew right into the 9's and into the NHRA tech hands :-( now we are changing over to full chromoly certified cage window net the works now thats high dollar let me tell you and all the rest of the SFI manatory stuff on the car and SFI protective clothing

This roll bar in the pictures cost in 2002 $1500.00 to have built and installed by a race car shop in Napa Calif Carl's Customs he did nice work

Last edited:
Does/did the down bars fit between the seats at the rear, or did you have to clearance it? Why not run the bars along the top of the rear and down the rear behind the rear seat over the rear axle?

Chris

I ran mine back to the trunk floor directly over the rear end to stiffen the rear part of the body as much as possable.

seatsin1.jpg

ready4cell.jpg

Miller

When we built this roll bar in the pictures in 2002 we went thinking running 10's or 9's. The plan than was 11.50et now 2007 Chuck replaced two bars with 4130 chromoly to make it lighter thus still same roll bar. Now after running 10.65et we madechanges wanted to test it we wernt wanting to run 9's plan was 10.0's I did all I could I shifted way early to keep it in the 10's but it blew right into the 9's and into the NHRA tech hands :-( now we are changing over to full chromoly certified cage window net the works now thats high dollar let me tell you and all the rest of the SFI manatory stuff on the car and SFI protective clothing

This roll bar in the pictures cost in 2002 $1500.00 to have built and installed by a race car shop in Napa Calif Carl's Customs he did nice work

Jim,

I must have missunderstood...thought you said the entire roll bar was replaced with chromoly to reduce weight :confused:

David

Yes, I thought you had replaced the whole cage to a lighter one... guess I misunderstood. that makes sense then

I will be replacing side swing out bar and back cross over bar with 4130 Chromoly to save some weight in preperation in setting up my car to reach the 10's this year

Last edited:
Back