Trans cooler concerns, converting to 4R70W

92bird

I'm coverting from a 5 speed to a 4R70W in my '92 SC with a stand alone controller.

My question is, will a large stacked plate trans cooler with fan be enough for proper cooling without the radiator cooler?

I already have an aftermarket griffin radiator in the car now, but its for a 5 speed and doesn't have an internal cooler. I don't want to have to buy another radiator if I don't have to.

I will be using a stock 2004 mustang mach 1 torque conveter (same stall as mark VIII converter), so the stall will be mild.

This is the fan I had in mind:

Derale Cooler

Appreciate your thoughts!

Jeramie

Lentech suggests a 14,000 BTU minimum when using a cooler. Most suggest running it in a series. :eek:

The bigger the cooler the better .. like a B&M 24000 or Hayden 26500 GVWR cooler .. there are bigger coolers out there also like 28k or more.

- Dan

The one I posted is 30,000 GVW :D

But lentech's recommendation is in addition to the factory cooler, I believe.

I won't have a factory radiator cooler, only this one.

I guess the best thing to do would be to wire up a trans temp gauge and just keep an eye on it.

Jeramie

If you use a high capacity cooler with a fan you shouldn't have a problem with it not going through the rad for cooling. They generally suggest that because in stop and go traffic the only thing that would keep the tranny cool is the rad cooler because of no air flow through the other cooler.

IMHO anways

You might want to use an aod I remember reading about numerous guys having issue of the trannies burning up that were run by a standalone control box.So you might what to check into that.I think Kurt K might have be one o the guys with the issue but I don't remember.

Jay

The one I posted is 30,000 GVW :D

But lentech's recommendation is in addition to the factory cooler, I believe.

I won't have a factory radiator cooler, only this one.

I guess the best thing to do would be to wire up a trans temp gauge and just keep an eye on it.

Jeramie

Jeramie,

Both my cars run non lock up converters and both have the transmission coolers isolated from the radiator. You won't have any problems with heat using that large of a cooler.

David

You shouldn't have any problem at all keeping it cool. I'm just running a 28,000 GVW B&M cooler on my 90 XR7 without a heat exchanger in the radiator. I see 145-155 degree transmission fluid temps in 60-95 degree weather. The only issue you might run into is trouble getting the fluid to warm up in cold weather. I don't drive that car in the winter, so it wasn't a concern for me, though I have noticed that it takes a bit to get the trans fluid temps up in cool (30-45 degree) weather.

-Rod

I'm coverting from a 5 speed to a 4R70W in my '92 SC with a stand alone controller.

My question is, will a large stacked plate trans cooler with fan be enough for proper cooling without the radiator cooler?

I already have an aftermarket griffin radiator in the car now, but its for a 5 speed and doesn't have an internal cooler. I don't want to have to buy another radiator if I don't have to.

I will be using a stock 2004 mustang mach 1 torque conveter (same stall as mark VIII converter), so the stall will be mild.

This is the fan I had in mind:

Derale Cooler

Appreciate your thoughts!

Jeramie

I run a similar size cooler with the radiator bypassed in my 95 SC although without the fan and have no problems here in Texas keeping the trans cool with a 9.5 inch 3500 rpm convertor so I would say you will be ok. Also keep in mind that the 4R70W doesn't generate heat because of a higher stall like an AOD would because of the clutch lock up at cruise.

Charles

Exactly how do you propose to use a small pattern 4r converter on an early SC engine? Did you have in neutral balanced, if you didn't it won't work.
Alan

You might want to use an aod I remember reading about numerous guys having issue of the trannies burning up that were run by a standalone control box.So you might what to check into that.I think Kurt K might have be one o the guys with the issue but I don't remember.

Jay

Jeramie is planning on using a completely different stand alone controller than the Baumannator. This controller seems to have great results although, I don't think any SC guys have tried it yet.

Exactly how do you propose to use a small pattern 4r converter on an early SC engine? Did you have in neutral balanced, if you didn't it won't work.
Alan

Alan,

All 89-95 Thunderbird SC engines are neutral balance, unlike the base 3.8L offerings. With that in mind, I believe a 96-98 4.6L Mustang GT flexplate and Mach 1 converter will do the trick.

The stand alone controller I plan to use is the Powertrain Control Solutions controller. PCS controller clicky clicky

Jeramie

I read somewhere that 89-93 had a weight offset. I just researched it and that isn't the case they are neutral. You can use a markVIII flexplate just fine then.
Alan

My brother used to run 1 mid size trans cooler on his car and trans was overheating on hot days.He's running 2 trans coolers without radiator trans cooler now and he doesn't have any problem,temp stays around 150*. He's running bone stock 92K mile 4R70W trans with J-mod.It's holding up fine, so far Video. Remember that heat is a killer for auto transmissions.

Back