kicking problem...

blazzn

I'm finding this kicking problem with my car

it happens when I am going over 70km/h, and when I release the gas it kicks and when I press the gas it kicks

someone told me it could be the engine mounts...any ideas??

Kicking?

Are you trying to describe a heavy vibration? You may want to be a bit more clear when describing your problem bro...

Good Luck...I will be looking for the revision... ;-)

ok I'll try again

When I have my foot on the gas and I ease off it, it feels like the transmission kicks...maybe it is a heavy vibration

but when I press the gas again it does that same kick in the transmission

and it's not happening in between gears...it happens anytime over 70 km/h

I have experienced that, too....

I don't know what causes it, but I have also noticed that if I am accelerating in overdrive (like to get past some slower traffic on the Interstate) and I lift off the gas, I will sometimes get a slight bump or surge from the drivetrain. Could this be the tranny shifting from drive (passing gear) back to OD?

The "kicking" you are having would be becasue we have a "lockup" type torque converter. They all do this in OD, you just don't usually notice it.

If you say it is bad all of a sudden, it is probably because the rest of your suspension, or your motor and/or transmission mounts have worn.

I'd just check and make sure your mounts are half decent. There are solid replacements available for the stock hydraulic ones. A good indication of the motor mounts being bad, is if your oil pan is resting on the frame or close to it....

I have a set of solid engine mounts sitting in my garage waiting for me to put them on.....I just keep hoping that some elves will come in and take care of that task while I'm sleeping......so far, no such luck........

YEP, mine are sitting on top of the tool box, been there over a year now.... but mine aren't worn as bad as I thgouht when I bought em....

I have a similar problem with my 5 speed. I think it's mainly because my clutch it slightly unhappy. It usually depends on how I shift gears, but a lot of times when I let off the clutch in 1st my drivetrain will clunk, and then after shifting into second and letting the clutch out it will slightly clunk again. If I'm really gentle with the clutch I can avoid it, but I think it's mainly because my mounts are mostly crappy. I'm going to have my clutch and slave cylinder checked out in a couple weeks just in case that's part of the problem.

Johnny my 5-speed does exactly the same thing but I have benn driving stick for so long I just ease out the clutch between shifts and think nothing of it. It may be caused by worn/soft rear differential mounting bushings. I'll be putting in my new poly ones perhaps this weekend and see if that cures it...or not..LOL.

Back