idle.......

stephens89sc

ever since i have had my sc its had a weird idle after the engines warmed up it usually sits at 800rpm about that but the weird thing is that the idle goes up and down
like the engine is revving itself.

like itll go up to about 1500 then drop back down slowly and keep doing that ....... anyone know what the hell my car is doing?????

Could be the IAC control is failing or the sensor responsible for ECM engine speed readings is failing.

The IAC controls the idle based on signals from the ECM which get's RPM's from some sensor. (Cam or Crank.. can't recall)

Start with gently cleaning the IAC and throttle boddy to see if it's just some crud built up.

First the IAC, then the cam sensor. My cam sensor failed as the temperature of the engine warmed up.

I had to replace both. When the IAC goes, it makes a goose-like honking sound when you shut-off the ignition. Generally, there is a code to indicate that the IAC is going. The cam sensor and crank sensor do not show codes.

If you can start your car ok, then its likely that your crank sensor is ok.

Good luck!

can anyone tell me what the IAC look like ??????????? is it the black part attached to the trottle body ??? that has the gasket with 2 holes going in ??????

if thats not it then what is it and where do i find it ?????

thx 4 all the help.

Back