cutting out when accelerating

myles

HELLO ALL!!!
i have bought my first SC, and wanted to ask a ? about my car. when i accelerate easy the car sounds like its missing slightly and has a rough sound and feel to it, when i accelerate hard it totally starts cutting out like someone was turning the ignition off and on really fast. it will do this a few times as it accelerates. some of the things i know the car had done to it- solid rubber mounts, bhj balancer, 75mm maf, new spark plugs and wires, EGR valve, DPFE sensor, cold air intake, short throw shifter, free flow cat, new 02 sensor, throw out and pilot bearing, the block is from a 90 xr7, with the original 95 top end on it (the old blocks harmonic balancer went out i am told this is the SC's achilles heel). it seems like when the guy i bought it from rebuilt it he did a good job on it but who knows...oh ya the car is a 95 manual. i really like the car but want it to run right. so if anyone has any ideas that would be great. my mechanic friend thinks its a THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR......
thanks
myles

Since you mentioned that the spark plugs were just changed, I'd check the gap on them. Your symptoms could be caused by running too large of a gap.

-Rod

Just realized that I should have mentioned what gap you should be running. With your mods, I'd recommend gapping the plugs at .045".

Also, if you accelerate lightly enough to stay out of boost, how does it run?

-Rod

well it runs ok it still feels like to me as if it were missing, of course this is how its always run since i had it, so i dont know if this is just normal as far as the engine feeling a bit on the rough side. and as a far as the backfiring there hasnt been any. also i had autolite double plat. plugs installed. i dont know what the gap was set at i will find out. it was running the same before i changed the plugs and wires as far as roughness goes. and the interesting thing about the cutting out is it started out as little hiccups and progressed into full coughing fits.

well it runs ok it still feels like to me as if it were missing, of course this is how its always run since i had it, so i dont know if this is just normal as far as the engine feeling a bit on the rough side. and as a far as the backfiring there hasnt been any. also i had autolite double plat. plugs installed. i dont know what the gap was set at i will find out. it was running the same before i changed the plugs and wires as far as roughness goes. and the interesting thing about the cutting out is it started out as little hiccups and progressed into full coughing fits.

mine was like this for a few drove it till i figured it out

mine was that a plug wire ended up on the exhuast and melted the wire up.. mine did this to a older one..

but with you saying you got new plugs and wires... maybe a wire was installed and touching the exhaust:eek::confused:

mine was like this for a few drove it till i figured it out

mine was that a plug wire ended up on the exhuast and melted the wire up.. mine did this to a older one..

but with you saying you got new plugs and wires... maybe a wire was installed and touching the exhaust:eek::confused:

also for got to add....a good way to check to see if that cyclinder is getting spark gound out your plug wires at the top of the coil.. somthing sharp so you could poke thru it..

Last edited:
had silimar prob

Like you said, it would miss under mild acceleration and fall on it's face under boost.

It was a vacum leak after the SC. It also didn't idle well.

Good luck, Lee

my 95 sc just recently started doing this too... i'm going to run some seafoam thru it to eliminate stuck injectors, i'm also going to check my vac lines right now... :)

tried seafoam.. fail.. got some autolite plugs, part number 2544. $1.59 each at autozone... replaced tehm, and bam... no more cutting out... :)

Check Coil

I had the same thing happen on my 94. Tried to accelerate and it would start running real rough and then die. When it started it ran rough. I had to baby it home but I got it there. I removed coil wires one at a time and determined the coil closest to the SC was not firing. Removed coil and looked on the bottom. It had cracked and white stuff was running out. I did not get any engine codes telling me it was the coil which I though twas odd.

Ed

im curiouse on this since i have the same thing happening when i produce boost. But when it isn't being boosted its a little sluggish. But drives good no spitting and spuddering or harshness. But as soon as i accelerate making boost it starts running rough like what was said in this post.

Ignition related for sure. Are you pulling in any codes? I wasn’t able too. Mine stopped doing it after I removed the performance coil and reinstalled the stock one.

If you are not pulling codes, first thing I would check is to insure that the spark is right. Insure you plugs and wires are good and connected properly.. If that doesn't fix it, try to swap out some of your ignition module with known good parts.

I did not get any engine codes telling me it was the coil which I though twas odd.

What codes would you expect from a leaking coil if the circuit is still intact...? I wouldn't expect any in this case.

Last edited:
On the code issue...unless the Primary or secondary coil circuit fails, it is unlikely you will get those codes. Functioning badly is not something that is "sensed" by the EEC/PCM.

Last edited:
Back