Automatic Shifter Handle Broken?

ThunderTurkey

Today as I shifted into Reverse, the button on the side of the leather-wrapped shift handle popped out. :eek: I hadn't noticed until trying to shift to Drive, my thumb went into the spring inside. :mad: After finding the button on the floor, I inserted it into the handle, shifted to Drive and as I released my grip, it popped out again. :( WHAT exactly holds the button in? Did I break or crack something?? :confused: Is there a "fix", or do I have to tape the button to my thumb now?? :( Thanks! :eek:

odds are the little piece of plastic that retains the button got old,...wore...and broke off innocently:p leaving you with mixed feelings:D
but really i bet it could be fixed, but im sure you can get one cheap off here

Tony

I always had the problem of my shifter being able to turn a bit each way and will up and off, cant see how its retained, maybe some kinda C clip. Makes it hard to shifting as ya got to turn it just right.

On the 89 to 93 cars, you have to pull straight up really hard. Be careful that you don't knock yourself out when it comes loose.

I got this information from an ebay seller when I bought a shifter from him after my SC was broken in to - It was very helpful

Here is some info on working on the shifter.

Put you emergency Brake on. Open your console lid door. Remove the 2 screws from the edge of the console cover (Console cover is the one that surrounds your shifter). Put your shifter in neutral. Carefully pull up on the console cover. Start from the end you removed the screws from and work your way towards the radio. The cover snaps in place, but if you are not careful it can break. Once you pull the cover up and if you have an ashtray/lighter in your console cover you can disconnect the wires by pressing the big white connector and pulling the connector apart. The white connector is mounted on the hump on the floor. This way you can get the console cover out of the way. You can close your console lid now. The next thing I would do is disconnect the connectors for the shifter and shifter slider. They should be mounted on the hump. You will either have a combined connector for this or it might be seperate for each. There might be a rubber band holding the wires together (remove the rubber band). Next - Remove the 3 bolts from the shifter slider. Do not try and take it out yet. Put the shifter in the lowest drive position. You should see a small slit on the back side of the shifter. There is a small c type clip where the slit is. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the clip all the way out of where the slit is. Once the clip is out twist the shifter a little bit side to side. You don't want to twist the shifter all the way around just side to side once or twice. Once it is loose slowly pull up on both the shifter and shifter slider but not all the way just a small amount. There might be a couple of clips holding the shifter wire in place from under the shifter slider Use a flat head screw driver to remove the wire. Now you can pull the whole thing up. You can install a new light bulb in the shifter slider before you install the shifter.

To install the shifter - Without the shifter on put the shifter rod all the way towards the radio (park position) Put the shifter wire though the hole of the shifter slider. Make sure the shifter indicator on the shifter slider is in the park position before you place the shifter and slider in place. You will need to place the shifter slider indicator on top of the white plastic piece connected to the metal base of the shifter. Be very careful not to break the white plastic piece and make sure it is in the park position. Once you feel it is lined up. Place the shifter and slider into position. Make sure your wires are coming out from where they were removed before you bolt the slider in place. Make sure the shifter is all the way down and positioned straight before you put the clip back in place. You can bolt the slider back into postion. Connect the shifter and slider wires. Make sure the shifter it is moving correctly. If it is then you can open your console lid and put the console cover on. It just snaps in place. Make sure you connect the wires for the lighter before you put the console cover on. Put the 2 screws on the edge of the console cover and close the console lid.

I think the long instructions are for the 94-97 cars. For the 89-93, birds4us is correct, but he left out that you have to should push and hold the button in very firmly before you pull up. That should make it come off without too much trouble.

On the 89 to 93 cars, you have to pull straight up really hard. Be careful that you don't knock yourself out when it comes loose.
No kidding. I've smacked myself more than once doing that. :rolleyes: But don't forget to also push the button in fully.

This is a pretty common problem on the 94-97 MN12's. I've actually never seen this occur with the 89-93 shifter.

-Rod

What year do you need? I have the 89-93.
EXACTLY! :D I need the '93 ! Also, I tried to find the little "metal clip" on the front, but it must be hiding! :confused: The handle is leather-wrapped, the button plastic, and there is a leather jacket around the shaft that fits really tight and meets the leather on the handel. I'll post a pic in the morning! At any rate, the button fits, but it's really loose and ocasionally pops out. :(

See my post above. It is the correct information for your year vehicle. There is no clip in your shifter handle as a retainer.

EXACTLY! :D I need the '93 ! Also, I tried to find the little "metal clip" on the front, but it must be hiding! :confused: The handle is leather-wrapped, the button plastic, and there is a leather jacket around the shaft that fits really tight and meets the leather on the handel. I'll post a pic in the morning! At any rate, the button fits, but it's really loose and ocasionally pops out. :(

The one I have the knob is separated from the stalk but it goes together just fine once you put it on. The button works fine.

Back