Double IC Pro's & Con's (?)

ThunderCoupe94

Wasup ya'll,

I am pondering upgrading my IC to a Double IC system that a lot of members on here have done already. I would go with the MP FMIC but I want to try to stick to the Stock look under the hood so I have decided against the FMIC. Although being a VERY nice piece it is not what I want at this moment with my SC.

I am just curious what the Pro's and Con's are for the Double IC's that are on the market. I am def. going to run an IC fan w/ this set up I am just looking for some input from people who have the Double IC's installed.

What should I expect?

Jason

Properly made double IC's work great. They should be made for proper airflow and always pressure tested for leaks. Usually 1 fan is enough, but many people have suggested running 2, a pusher and a puller. The only major issue I can think of is the way your AC condenser blocks the intercooler. You should really get a shorter condenser or just get rid of it. My double IC works great. After a 1/4 run I am still able to touch the lower IC tube, while the upper is to hot to touch.

A double IC is a good way to go. There really aren't any negatives to a well built double IC. One common problem is if they aren't built well they will leak out boost between the two cores.

pro:
car will run cooler (DBL doesn't block the radiator air flow) than some FMIC's
easier to install
cheaper
keeps the stock look

cons:
stock intercooler pipes (pain to work with and the lower pipe is next to exhaust manifold)
double is to thick which requires a IC fan to run 100% of the time to get the most out of it. (some FMIC setups have restrictive air movement as well and require a fan to run full time to keep it cool)

Pros is you get slightly better flow with less pressure drop.
More surface areas for cooling. Cheap

Cons. Doesnt flow all that much better then stock. The thickness of the double cores makes for airflow over that extra surface area more difficult. Without the extra surface cooling you are only getting the slight improvement from the pressure drop and flow.

There has been testing in the past flow wise and pressure drop wise but I dont think I have ever seen any testing in regards to drop in ACT..Although if you can get air to flow over the cores it should do that as well

Pros is you get slightly better flow with less pressure drop.
More surface areas for cooling. Cheap

Cons. Doesnt flow all that much better then stock. The thickness of the double cores makes for airflow over that extra surface area more difficult. Without the extra surface cooling you are only getting the slight improvement from the pressure drop and flow.

There has been testing in the past flow wise and pressure drop wise but I dont think I have ever seen any testing in regards to drop in ACT..Although if you can get air to flow over the cores it should do that as well

Pressure drop and flow numbers are of minimal impact on a roots supercharged application.

Testing has shown that a properly implemented double IC can perform very well compared to other IC's. I have logged many testing hours both with a stock and double IC. It is a huge improvement over stock but you have to make sure you have airflow through it as the cores are very thick and don't want to allow air through them hence the need for a fan(s).

Wasup ya'll,

I am pondering upgrading my IC to a Double IC system that a lot of members on here have done already. I would go with the MP FMIC but I want to try to stick to the Stock look under the hood so I have decided against the FMIC. Although being a VERY nice piece it is not what I want at this moment with my SC.

I am just curious what the Pro's and Con's are for the Double IC's that are on the market. I am def. going to run an IC fan w/ this set up I am just looking for some input from people who have the Double IC's installed.

What should I expect?

Jason
I would agree had a double ic and it worked wonders

Removing my AC condensor & insulating the lower IC tube worked awesome for me, I have the IC fan on a thermostat, but it only turns on in city traffic.

Pressure drop and flow numbers are of minimal impact on a roots supercharged application.

Testing has shown that a properly implemented double IC can perform very well compared to other IC's. I have logged many testing hours both with a stock and double IC. It is a huge improvement over stock but you have to make sure you have airflow through it as the cores are very thick and don't want to allow air through them hence the need for a fan(s).

They are? I'm pretty sure flow numbers and pressure drop are important in ANY forced induction intercooler setup. Intercoolers with lower pressure drops will obviously push more boost into the engine, boost the SC is already making, helping the supercharger not to work as hard as with a restrictive stock intercooler, and the same goes for flow. The more CFM an intercooler can have an effect on, the more cooled CFM will enter the engine.

They are? I'm pretty sure flow numbers and pressure drop are important in ANY forced induction intercooler setup. Intercoolers with lower pressure drops will obviously push more boost into the engine, boost the SC is already making, helping the supercharger not to work as hard as with a restrictive stock intercooler, and the same goes for flow. The more CFM an intercooler can have an effect on, the more cooled CFM will enter the engine.

I'm well aware of the basic principles of supercharging and intercoolers. However the effects and benefits of the various elements of the aforementioned in respect to the layout of the induction system on an SC are not so well understood. I give basic advice based on empirical evidence which I have in abundance. Agree with me or not, it's cool either way. :)

I'm well aware of the basic principles of supercharging and intercoolers. However the effects and benefits of the various elements of the aforementioned in respect to the layout of the induction system on an SC are not so well understood. I give basic advice based on empirical evidence which I have in abundance. Agree with me or not, it's cool either way. :)

Being around these parts for close to 8 years now I will agree with your input. You have never steered anyone in the wrong direction and your knowledge of these vehicles it second to none. I appreciate all your information & I have agreed on a Double IC that is made by Ken Wagner.

Thanks for all your guys input on this. Its much appreciated

Jason

Ken Wagner has one for sale now, I highly recommend looking at purchasing it. It an extremely well built double IC and you won't be dissapointed with it. A fan shroud is built into the design and works extremely well.

Ken Wagner has one for sale now, I highly recommend looking at purchasing it. It an extremely well built double IC and you won't be dissapointed with it. A fan shroud is built into the design and works extremely well.

I have already been in contact with Ken about his IC's and I will be getting one sometime @ the beginning to the middle if next year. He informed me that it is not just a one off & he will be continuing to produce these.

hey guys--can someone tell me how to get in touch with Ken Wagner about one of these double IC's? Dont know where to find him, and I will be needing an upgrade in the next month, thanks!

Jon

Wasup ya'll,

What should I expect?

Jason

Jason

I run a doulbe IC with stock IC tubes with a fan and custom shroud I like it PSI levels are perfect we are the only one using it and the top runner. Mine was built by Carls Customs in Napa Calif and pressure tested and ported for max flow

Removing my AC condensor & insulating the lower IC tube worked awesome for me, I have the IC fan on a thermostat, but it only turns on in city traffic.

Interesting thought. How did you insulate the lower IC tube from heat?

Well I don't know if he would have taken photos of the unit prior to install or after. I can't see why you wouldn't post them if you had them. No secret to a double IC that we haven't already found out about. Just curious to see if the quality is as good as Ken's.

Back