Thermostat opnions

SC Spyder

I am about to buy a new thermostat and would like to know what the opnions are using a stock vs colder thermostat.

I understand the potential performance difference but what has experiance shown you?

Tks.

Doug

Whatever you buy,ask for the "failsafe" kind.Got mine at O'Reilley's.If or when it fails,it stays open to still let the coolant flow.I think they are made by Murray.

Dave, The car will be used in Florida. Does that change your opnion?

Doug

Depends on how many mods you have and how good your cooling system is. I don't think the radiator is large enough for a stock motor, if you start doing mods that increase HP, it won't keep up no matter how soon the t-stat opens. Just being in Florida would be reason enough for me to get a bigger radiator.

A griffin or similar aluminum radiator with a 180 t-stat should do fine in Florida, but there are probably a few people who would rather run a 160 degree. I think that is too cold and may cause the car to stay in cold start mode or whatever it's called resulting in an overly rich condition for extended periods.

David

Dave,

The engine is .030 over with a 93 cam, the exhaust manifolds have been bored and the exhaust system is 2.25 through high flow cats, 2.25 cross over and dynomax 3 chamber mufflers, over driving the blower 5%, K & N air filter and 94 windage tray and driving through the 93 AOD with a final drive of 3:55.

I am running a 4 core 1966 Mustang radiator. Thats what my chassis is set up for and it turns out to be the same physical size as the Thunderbird and I have fitted the thunderbird fan to it. I'm confident there is enough capacity there.

I've gone ahead and picked up a 180 degree fail safe thermostat based on the recommendations.

So unless I am mistaken, the thermostat will modulat at the loser temp and the EEC will modulate the fan around the 210 temp based on the collant temp.

I'm picking up the transmisison after Christmas and as soon as I have the rolling chassis, l post some photos.

Doug

Last edited:
I would recommend some method of getting the fan on sooner. I believe the stock setting turns on low speed at 220* and hi speed at 228* then turns it off at 212* or so. What this means is after initial warm up, the t-stat will stay open constantly and not modulate anything if you put a 180 in. If memory serves, the stock t-stat is a 197* even though all the aftermarket companies call for a 192*.

Whether with a cool fan switch or tuner of some sort, get the fan to come on around 195 and shut off at 188 or so.

Back