So a supercoupe has a curb weight of

Ryma

roughly 3701 lb's, now how much weight can be shaved off of the SC and still make it look like a screet car?

I was never a fan of rear seats Just keept people nagging on I want to ride too.

But the rear seats cant weight that much.

So I figure its got to have some really heavy front seats right?

Mainly iam looking for some idea of how much weight can be taken out of the car and still make it look like nothing has really been done to it.

I read something that its the IRS that really kills the SC in the weight department, is there any truth to this?

Does anyone know of a company that make's fiberglass or carbon fiber body pannels?

I know power and torque can be brought up really well( I was thinking of a sc take the roots off and put a f1 procharger snale on it).

Iam more worried about the weight, cause it is roughtly 1000lbs heavyer than say a cobalt ss.

Whats the lowest weight SC you guys have seen but still had door pannels, dash, heatbox, A/C and the sort.

roughly 3701 lb's, now how much weight can be shaved off of the SC and still make it look like a screet car?

I was never a fan of rear seats Just keept people nagging on I want to ride too.

But the rear seats cant weight that much.

So I figure its got to have some really heavy front seats right?

Mainly iam looking for some idea of how much weight can be taken out of the car and still make it look like nothing has really been done to it.

I read something that its the IRS that really kills the SC in the weight department, is there any truth to this?

Does anyone know of a company that make's fiberglass or carbon fiber body pannels?

I know power and torque can be brought up really well( I was thinking of a sc take the roots off and put a f1 procharger snale on it).

Iam more worried about the weight, cause it is roughtly 1000lbs heavyer than say a cobalt ss.

Whats the lowest weight SC you guys have seen but still had door pannels, dash, heatbox, A/C and the sort.

To be honest, I doubt you're going to really get as much weight out of the car as you want to. My SC has both power front seats, and I know for a fact, they are nowhere near light. Not sure how much they way, but if you put some lightweight racing seats, you could easily cut 50lbs. To save weight, you could put aluminum lower control arms on the car, and while you have it apart put an aluminum diff.

For the front end, I would add a fiberglass hood.

im switching to regular non-power thunderbird seats, since my leather is cracking anyway.

should save about 50 lbs. total

If you really wanted a non-power drivers seat, you could probably attempt to swap seat traacks from a passenger seat over to a drivers seat, but you'd probably haveta mate it to the frame so it'll still bolt on like it's supposed to.

-Melon

If you really wanted a non-power drivers seat, you could probably attempt to swap seat traacks from a passenger seat over to a drivers seat, but you'd probably haveta mate it to the frame so it'll still bolt on like it's supposed to.

-Melon

That wont work. I did the swap on mine and they are not the same. I had to ship them out of a junk yard near mexico. Mexican t-birds had a few of the manual tracks. good luck finding one. They are somewhat rare. MOre rare is finding a good switch panel side cover.
2134005_3_full.jpg

Last edited:
well that sux. now that it was mentioned i'ver never seen a manual driver seat in a Tbird.

well i should at least drop 20-30lbs from the pass seat. and going with a 3way power driver seat should save a lil bit too.

Manual driverside seat tracks do exist. I have one in each of my MN12's. While they are relatively rare, you can find them from time to time at the junkyard.

-Rod

Well I wouldent be using a factory seat of any kind, I need something that will hold my ~~~ in the seat more, A friend has a nice set of no namebrand racing buckets and are pritty comfertable and actually hold me in quite well. onlyu downside is part of the sidebolster sticks forward to far, Kinda hard for second and forth gear shifts. got to lean forward a bit to let my shoulder move right.

Do all SC come with eletric windows and locks? that could be some weight shaved off. Thanks for the link. very helpfull.

There are currently 2 manual LH tracks available on Car-parts.com. They are from a 96-97 bird. Call them up and see if they have it still, some one grab them if they have them they are hard to come by. One problem I have with it is that it does not have UP and Down Front rear Tilt. And the standard position is low and somewhat uncomfortable to press the clutch in. I used to have my seat tilted max in the front and a notch in the rear. Now it flat and low and I slide easy out of the seat, but the leather has something to do with it too.

Front Seat Track Only
Ford Thunderbird -LH MAN A 4313 $35 White City Auto Parts USA-OH(Hamilton) Request_Quote 1-800-354-4195 / 513-896-6672

Front Seat Track Only
Ford Thunderbird LH,2DR,MANUAL A 207033 $25 Albany Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Albany) E-mail 800-873-1669

Last edited:
Glass hood

If you get a good (check weight before buying) glass hood, you'll lose a good 45lbs off the front end.

This also gives you better weight balance, inproving handling & slight improvement in accelleration weight tansfer.

Moving the battery to under the right fender in the trunk does the same things.

Lee

Unless you guys are planning to completely butcher your cars apart to drop weight, you are wasting your time. A few pounds here or there will not help much. A hundred pounds may net you a tenth, if your lucky.

Your talking about an 8-900 pound difference. In order to try to match the weight of a little XXXXX box like that, your gonna need to go to town with a sawzall, not remove power seat tracks. A glass hood and battery relocation will help the car plant better. An aluminum driveshaft will reduce rotating weight and improve acceleration. The weight savings will do little.

Last I looked, a Cobalt SS wasn't capable of making 400 ft lbs of torque either. You want to give that little heartbeat skirt mobile a heart attack, throw on some horsepower mods. With only a few bolt ons, I was able to greatly improve the acceleration of my 91.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back