Project PI Complete in 95 Cougar (SC related info inside)

BlackbirdSC

So, after 18 months of procrastinating, I finally did the swap of the 4.6 motor in my '95 Cougar. Everything I'd read from TCCoA and other PI/4.6 information sites said a 95 swap would be a 'little more difficult' than a 96 or up swap. Well... those that say a little more difficult have obviously never done it before. If I didn't have a '96 Tbird 4.6 core motor complete from air intake tube to wiring harnass, it would have been close to impossible without alot of extra parts.

Here's a link to pics I put on a quick webpage detailing the 10 day, 60-70 work hour adventure. Cougar PI Swap This was also the first 4.6 I'd machined and built, so I was taking my time. The 4.6 really is an interesting motor. I did everything but the block boring and seat cutting in the heads myself.

Check out the pics with the shock tower decay. I was surprised how badly they were rotted on the bottoms. The rest of the car has minor decay around the front of the rear wheel wells, bottoms of the doors and corner of 1 front fender. I never expected the engine bay to be in such bad shape. Might not hurt for all SC owners to take a peak at their's since most SCs are older than my Cougar. I've noticed much of the popping and snapping from the front suspension has stopped since welding the patches in. At least in the 350 miles on the new motor I haven't heard the pops pulling into parking spots like I use to.

Here's the skinny on what didn't fit for those with 4.6 MN12 cars. This is not counting the items listed on the TCCoA article. I will say the 96/2001 hybrid motor really kicks compared to the beat 95 oil guzzler. If the 01 Stang was 260 horse, I figure this one's pushing 280 all things being equal. I just need a better exhaust setup now to get the last couple hp outta it.

1. Fuel Lines - Note the pics where I bent the hell out of the 95 car side lines to make them connect to the 96 fuel rail. It looks pretty ghetto right now, but some AN fittings and pushlock hose will take care of that this spring.
  2. Alternator Bracket - I made the 96 brakcet work by cutting it in half, then cutting the spacer off, redrilled the hole and put the spacer back in. It's basically a 1" tab now bolting to 1 of the intake bosses.
  3. Wiring Harness - the 95 harness doesn't just need modified for the MAP, IAC and TPS sensors, it plain doesn't fit. The 95 harnass has a flat plastic sheething in the injector wiring area. This worked perfectly on the 95 intake, but doesn't bolt down to any of the 2001 PI intake locations. It also barely fits around the EGR without melting. There's about 3 or 4 places around the intake area it barely works. And the 96 harness can't be used in the 95 car as the engine to car harnass bolts in differently and probably has all different pinouts anyway.
  4. Air Intake, Breather and PCV lines - Hope you got them from a 96 car if you have a 95. The upper intake plenum and TB are only part of it. The air tube and all the plastic crossover lines for the PCV and crankcase breather are completely different as well.
  5. Throttle Cable - Oh this one was the best. On Day 6, I get the motor in and figure out there's no way to hook up the gas pedal. The 96 bracket is too small for the 95 cable to slide in and bolt down. And the 96 cable seems to be unavailable. So, cut half the 96 bracket off, half the 95 and at least I have a pedal now. If you look close you'll see the cable wrapped around the brake booster and back to the engine. No cruise, but I'll deal with that in spring too with a trip to the pick-a-part. I'm sure I can find a 96-97 tbird with an intact cable and find a bracket from a PI motor somewhere.

So.. now it's on to the bodywork and repainting of the car. Then I can get back to the plans for a new motor for the SC that will up the ante a bit from what I have now. :D;)

Looks good. Transplanted a PI motor in the 95 Cougar before it got totaled. Only regret was I wish I had looked into it a bit more before I did it so I would've had everything absolutely ready.

The PI swap makes one he*l of a difference doesn't it? Drop in a new tranny out of a 01+ Mustang, and put some 3.27's in it and it'll really waken the car up.

That rot doesn't look good at all. Surprised me. The cougar had rocker panel rot from the sun roof, but the engine bay was only surface rust. :confused:

Ya, I'm still out here. Works been ridiculous lately (last 12-18 months), so some of my projects haven't moved along as expected. Decided it was time to suck it up and get something done. :) I've already fixed the rich condition in the SC (coolant sensor thought it was -30* all the time). And the truck's had the headers replaced and the Gibson SS exhaust put on that layed in the garaged for 8 months.

The Cougar already has a rebuilt 8.8 with 3.55s and a rebuilt trac-lok out of a 90 SC. I also did the J-mod to the tranny using the 98-up modulator springs. It shifts pretty decently for now. When it fails, I'll pick up a 99 4r70w from the truck wrecking yard right up the street. I've heard the truck tranny has a slightly different main body, but I drive by the place everyday which makes it a perfect fit for the Cougar. :p

Now I have to get the SC to pass inspection (it's been out since August) so I can drive it while the Cougar comes back in the garage to be repainted. Somewhere in there the dirt tracker (in the background of 1 of the pics) has to get a new motor and reskinned/painted. THEN it's on to the SC and it's new motor. :D

Looking good Steve. Glad to see your still around and good luck with all your future projects. Also Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and yours.:)

Back