Poly diff bushings

fturner

Hey guys,

Just read a couple of posts where it was suggested the poly diff bushings are not lasting long and get torn up real quick.... whats the general consensus on these as I am looking at getting a set of new bushings.. but just wondering which are the best to go with.

I had no luck with them whatsoever. The problem being the rear mount is flexing more then the poly front mounts. Make a solid mount out of the rear and buy the aluminum front ones and youll be in buissness. Or just get rubber again

I put a set of Steeda urethane diff bushings in and they lasted weeks. But I've had SCP diff bushings in my LX for 3-4 years now with no problems. But then again that car doesn't make nearly the power an SC does, so take that into consideration.

Edit: the car is a 95 4.6 LX automatic. I installed the bushings at maybe 120,000 miles tops, and the car now has 145,000. I'm also using an aluminum pumpkin in case that makes a difference, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I believe the ones in the supercoupe I just purchased were less than 2 years old and the passenger side was trashed.

This is how I found it:

DSC01467.jpg

This is what it looked like when I took it out:

DSC01470.jpg

Ouch!!!!! and do the light bulbs help keep them softer so they last a little longer ;)?

Sorry couldn't resists :D

Since I'm not a huge power monster, it looks like I'm going to look at getting the rubber ones. Does Ford still make these or should I go see the local Car Quest?

Didn't do my car any good. I had the rear mount shimmed solid and mine still scattered just like the above ones.

Personally I wouldnt of gone solid/ rubber or poly for fear of cracking something.

Steeda sells an adjustable aluminum front mount setup that if you do solid up the rear mount you can adjust the pinion angle. I havent done that but thats how I would go

Fraser, I put the set of front bushings for the diff in from MN12 Performance about 4 years ago, when I took my diff out this past summer to rebuild it, I inspected them and they were still new looking. You know yourself how hard on my car I am, still working fine for me.

I have gone through 4 sets of poly diff bushings since they came out. I even have the front pinion brace and shimmed rear brace, they still collapsed.

I'm hopeing that when I swap to the automatic (no wheel hop) they will last longer.

the differental has bushings? haha yea i couldnt find them last time i swapped the diff. :rolleyes:

mine were gone no rubber at all. electrical tape works really good in a pinch.;)

yea the poly bushings suck. the stock ones arnt that good either. so i just put it on my consumables list.

Auto and 200,000 plus miles. on my third set of bushings. car is also driven everyday and not to lightly.

Last edited:
Fraser, I put the set of front bushings for the diff in from MN12 Performance about 4 years ago, when I took my diff out this past summer to rebuild it, I inspected them and they were still new looking. You know yourself how hard on my car I am, still working fine for me.

and considering yours is a 5 spd which would be harder on them than an auto I would think.

Is this a manual vs auto problem? It could also be how hard the car is driven.

Everyone please post or edit your post if you have an automatic or manual and estimate the mileage.

Personally I wouldnt of gone solid/ rubber or poly for fear of cracking something.

Steeda sells an adjustable aluminum front mount setup that if you do solid up the rear mount you can adjust the pinion angle. I havent done that but thats how I would go

Can you give a link?

Back