PDA

View Full Version : need trans help

BigPurpleBird
12-23-2007, 01:35 PM
i got a 95 4.6 and was curious if anyone here knows enough about transmissions
my trans is strange when its cold t goes through all gears but shimmys 3 to 4
when its hot it doesn't use 1st and slips 2 to 3 and still shimmys 3 to 4 i aint worried bout the shimmy yet i just want my first gear when i show up at the track

TbirdSCFan
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
With shift problems, about the only thing you can do is pull the pan off and take a look around. You'll probably find pieces of metal in it. You could try some Lucas trans fix, but eventually you'll just have to rebuild it.
With the 95, the tranny is electrically controlled, so there is a chance that some wiring or connectors might be loose or dirty. Inspect and clean the connectors, and check that the wiring isn't pinched, crimped, or melted. :cool:

BigPurpleBird
12-25-2007, 05:00 AM
i changed the fluid recently and it was dirty but no metal shavings so you think it might be a connector r something i just dont get why 1st gear stops when the trannys warms up it just goes straight to 2nd when i start off the other thing is i know engines!! i cant make sense of a trans if anyone could give me a link to a video or something of them rebuilding one so i could know what to look for cause i dont know what i am going to be looking at as far as what the parts are called i know what the trans filter is and thats about it just noticed where i dallas are you TbirdSCFan im in alliance maybe you could help me

TbirdSCFan
12-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Not sure how much I can help with the newer trannys, but I 'd suggest you pick up a Haynes transmission rebuild manual. They sell them in all the parts stores for $20 or so. They're good reference books even if you never actually rebuild one. You want to look at the 4r70w and/or AOD-E.

I would be tempted to pull the valve body off and just look around to see if anything looks odd. I'd also try to find a spare tranny from somewhere and swap out the valve body to see if it made any difference. The valve body is the piece with all the ridges, bumps, holes, etc. with about a dozen small bolts holding it to the trans. You can do all this w/o having to remove the tranny and you have about a 50/50 chance that it will fix the problem. You will need 1 or 2 new valve body gaskets. After that, you can reuse them a few times as long as you're careful. If you can't locate one, I recommend Transmissionpartsusa.com. They have no minimum order and stock most all soft parts down to individual clutch plates.

Let me know how it goes.

BigPurpleBird
12-31-2007, 03:56 AM
im going to do that with the valve body?! but tbirdscfan im in north ft worth it would be cool to meet up with you or something one reason, ive never seen a SC in person two who knows every sat me and some others go out maybe you could come with my email is shane6310@hotmail.com let me know plus its always nice to have someone who knows as much or more as you about your own car as a friend

Ddubb
01-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Sorry im not from Texas, just bored and thought id chime in.

The 95 tranny isnt very good to begin with. The only parts I would salvage to re-use is the electronics and the output shaft.

There is more information at tccoa.com. Goto the Technical articles link on the front page, and then Transmissions 101, by Jerry. It has alot of information on upgrading / modifying / diagnosing problems with the 4r70w transmission.
ALOT of information is available online if you do a search, here, tccoa, on the internet, etc ..

Sounds like you're going to need a new transmission soon. The 3-4 shudder can usually be helped by switching to Mercon V fluid and adding a cooler. But if you are slipping 2-3, the Direct clutch may be on its way out.

Im not too sure on the No 1st gear .. could be the 1-2 accumulator has a crossleak or an internal problem.

The earlier transmissions are very very prone to failure for many reasons indicated in Jerry's thesis. The 95 isnt worth rebuilding, you'll want to start off with a newer case and internal parts.

My guess is that you want this transmission to last a while, and strong enough to hold up at the track.
Would be good to do some upgrades, like a new Torque converter while you're at it.

If you can pull it apart and rebuild it, you have many options and this would be the best way to go.

If you want a somewhat direct swap, you'll still need to change a few things to work on the 95, but that isnt too hard.

Ive gone through quite a few of these 4r70w's .. I did a couple 94/95 Tbirds with 00 GT Mustang tranny's, just swapped the electronics and J-modded the valve body + new speedo gear. I pulled the pump cover and welded the snap ring for the mechanical diode. Would have been better to tear it all down and replace the output shaft, but I wasnt getting paid for that and they most likely wont use differential gears higher than the stock 3.27 anyways.
These cost about $400 shipped with @ 30-40k miles.
I also added a higher stall Maurader TC from 04 .. about $250 more

A good one would be from a 5.4L F150 truck, 99-02, but you would need to use a Car valve body from 99+ tranny .. They are stronger internally, but tend to cost a little bit more.

I personally recently re-built a newer 05 tranny to my own specs, picked up a damaged core return $250, rebuild kit from Ford, and a couple more parts, Fluid, etc .. @ $250 more, plus some more spare parts I had sitting around, and a Dirtydog Torque converter @$700 I think.

... anyways, you have options. :D

Hope this helps or points you in a good direction.

- Dan