What would be better/cheaper/more reliable?

SCUPERCHARGED

After my engine is pulled (spun rod bearing) how should I go about fixing it?
Should I......

1) Find a used engine from a junkyard?

2) Get a machine shop to rebuild (The heads only have 12XXX miles)?

3) Try to get a reman. engine?

4) Any other options that you can think of?

Im looking for reliability and wanna do some bolt on mods (Catback exhaust/Supercharger Pulley/Intake/etc.)... Are spun rod bearings common in these? When its rebuilt it will be like a new car correct? Run just as good as new? Anyone know around how much itll cost to get rebuilt? Take the complete engine to the shop?

*ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

This is my opinion, others may have a different view based on their experiances.

If you want a total rebuild

1-motor from a junk yard is a crap shoot
2-get a shop to rebuild it-If you can have a good shop do it, this would be the best for an engine that you want to do modifications to. This will also be the most expensive option.
3-A remanufactured engine from a reliable supplier will save you some dough over a Shop rebuild--but if your going to hop it, not the best choice.

Here is another solution that will save you some labor cost.
Tear the engine down, take the componets that need rebuilt to the engine shop for service. Then put it back together with new and rebuilt parts yourself.

Last edited:
rebuild 3.8

i just rebuilt my 95sc motor and it cost me about 2 grand between the rebuild kit and a couple of performance adders(cam, valve springs, lifters and the really good head gaskets.) Talk to dave dalke (xr7 dave), and he will set u up with everything u need to do the rebuild. i would advise u to have the machine shop put together the bottom end for u. It will save u some headache's in the end. If u have done a rebuild before then it might not be too bad, but i hadn't so i ran into some problems. hope this helps. Don

My short block with spun rod bearing cost $750 parts and labor for a machine shop to rebuild... so far so good..

Junkyard motor shouldn't even be an option here....lol....im not a big fan of the hit or miss thing with my money....

Good choice

Rebuild is the only reliable way to go if you're doing upgrades. :cool:

Hey Ira - a V-Dub engine won't mate up to an SC trans! :D

Lee

Common Lee, you should know better than to post that kind of nonse on here....... of course Ira meant use the tranny from the krout mobile as well.

Back