1990 Cougar XR7 No start when hot??

Plums72

hey guys, bought a 90' XR7 supercharged cougar saturday, its a great car, the only thing i can find that is wrong with it is that after the car has been running a while, after it gets up to operating temperature. if you turn the engine off, it wont start back up!? if you wait about 15 minutes, after a long time it will start. This really concerns me cause, its kinda not safe to put gas in a vehicle thats running! so any help would be appreciated!

[edit] the motor was washed, this seems to be when the problem started. thanks again[edit]

1990 Cougar XR7 Supercharged V6
162,587 miles
thanks

Last edited:
Just fixed that problem.

Replaced the starter.

The front bushing on the starter shaft wears on the side away from the flywheel. After it becomes oblong, when the starter heats up and expands, the shaft will bind up in the bushing.

I'd start with the easy stuff 1st tho - clean battery terminals, tighten selenoid & starter connections.

Good luck, Lee

i think my problem is different than yours, my car will turn over fine, it just wont fire!

but thanks though!

does it turn over very slowly? like the battery is dying out if so it may be the ground strap on the pass side. Also if its a dis or coil pack I have hundreds of SC parts left over that are in new condition for cheap

It could be, how would you go about checking it?

Take the DIS module to Auto Zone and have them check it out on their machine.....

Or, you could bring your car up to me in Charlotte and I can swap out a few DIS modules that I have on hand.....

haha

well e, what part of charlotte do you live? :) im up in the blue ridge mountains of SC right now so...

Sounds like the DIS to me too man. Had the same thing happen last year right up to where it quit entirely. Use Arctic Silver when you install the new module.

My SWAG would be a crank sensor going intermittent. My 89 did this for a few months back before I knew anything about what to look for. No CEL light or stored codes either. Since you did not mention getting a CEL light it makes me suspicious that it could be a DIS Module. My car would not start or quit running intermittently...then run fine after letting it sit.

Unless you have a BHJ Damper make sure you change the sensor without removing the OEM damper. NOT the suggested way to be done in the Ford Manual but it can be done and should be to prevrnt pulling the OEM Damper which will increase the likelyhood of it breaking later.

Duffy,

I din't get a CEL when the DIS module quit. I even pulled codes with a code reader and nothing DIS related came up.

hey duffy, i think you might be right, i have an 89' Supercoupe that does that, so i appreciate all the help.

thanks guys!

I know of a guy that had the same issue as you except sometimes his would stall while driving and you would need to let it sit to restart it. It turned out to be either the crank or cam sensor. Hope that helps

haha cool, though i doubt i will be able to visit since im leaving for low country SC tomorrow.The car is really weird, most of the time when you park it down hill it will start back up, but parking it uphill seems to hurt it somehow? Like i said before though, there is absolutely no hesitation when you punch the accelerator. Its really confusing, especially since me nor my dad have a clue about how to really "dig" into one of these things.

that would be a blessing, seein how my dad was goin to put an ad in the iwanta for a knowledgeable SC mechanic!

got any info on how to reach?:D

but yeah, i dont know, i love the car but im broke, daddys broke and just having to wait 15 minutes after i go into walmart is very irritating:mad:

Back