Exhaust manifold gaskets.

SC Spyder

My gasket set came with exhaust maniflod gaskets .... My manual(s) don't not refer to gaskets.

I searched the forum and only saw reference to using RTV.

Help!!!

Doug

Use the Copper RTV it is the highest temp silicone . I put a bead on both side of header gaskets let it cure overnight then install. Used it in racecars for years NEVER had an exhaust leak.

Use the Copper RTV it is the highest temp silicone . I put a bead on both side of header gaskets let it cure overnight then install. Used it in racecars for years NEVER had an exhaust leak.

I install them while still tacky to get a better seal and to fill in surface imperfections.

David

I never use them. No leaks, but I also am not running 20 psi of boost. :) If I used anything it would only be the copper RTV.

Guys,

An alternative to using the RTV is a better gasket. Fel-pro used to sell the ultra seal material in sheets so that you could make your own header gaskets. The stuff is almost indestructable and will actually "burn" into shape around the ports.

The only drawback is that it is so hard to cut that you need to dremel the edges to make them smooth once the rough shape has been cut out.

Ford didn't install gaskets on some of the engines at the factory, but the manifolds warp and so they are a must when reinstalling.

Back