powerstroke intercooler?

super red91

I want to put a front mount intercooler in my 91 sc. I know that magnum powers is making one but it is probably going to be like $900. Ive seen some gn guys using the powerstroke intercooler and they have been very happy with it. i was wondering where i could find a place to buy it at. I saw a couple on ebay brand new for $230 but their not there anymore. Is there any other intercoolers out their that work well but are not alot of$ ?. Has anyone ever used a powerstroke intercooler on thier sc before?

Wait a couple of days those IC's show up all the time. No one has ever put one on an SC to my knowledge. You will probably have to modify the end tanks to make it work, go for it.

Another good one I have seen on there is for the Isuzu NPR trucks, I think there are 3 different types, but they all look like good candidates for a front mount.

Jeff

I doubt the stock end tanks (with inlet and outlet) would be a easy thing to hook up. Look at the pictures, and see how you would put the thing in your car, then you will see what I am talking about.

Jeff

PS Intercooler.

I have one of these installed in my car right now. You can see pics at the address below. Click on the tbird to get in. Fitting the intercooler wasnt the hardest part on the project, but it wasnt easy either.

www.unnaturallyaspirated.net

Really nice fit, looks like the A/C condensor was deleted as well. Is that a sacrifice you want to make?

intercooler

do i have to make it smaller to fit, because i want an intercooler that will fit in their without cutting it smaller

Just FYI, the Powerstroke intercoolers are about 33" wide by 18" high, I'm not sure if they would fit in the front of a T-Bird. I've seen pics of guys putting them in Fox Mustangs with some cutting, but they have a taller hoodline than an MN-12 Bird I think.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

The sacrifice has already been made. A/C hasnt work in years anyway. The 134A conversion I done didnt work for crap, so no loss really. And its not my daily driver. I originally decided to make it a convertable, like that prototype 90 couger picture thats floating around, but have concerns about altering the structure ad loosing needed strength and all that. Plus I cant run faster then 13.00 at the track with a convertable.(so im told). But, it'll still be fun at the track and weekend stuff without the AC. Plus, the AC never made cool noises like the turbo does lol!

"Just FYI, the Powerstroke intercoolers are about 33" wide by 18" high, I'm not sure if they would fit in the front of a T-Bird. I've seen pics of guys putting them in Fox Mustangs with some cutting, but they have a taller hoodline than an MN-12 Bird I think.
"

The height is not a problem, however the length is. It must be shortened by about 10 inches to fit between the frame rails. IF you want to keep your AC, u will also have to shorten the height, as u have to mount it right behind the bumper. If the height is not altered in that case, then u run into problems with the headlight(as the mustang guys do). I wasnt willing to alter the exterior look of the car, so the AC went bye bye.

for some reason the link wouldn't work for me. I'd love to see pics though. If you ahve any lying around could you send um to SHartDO@aol.com? I had thought about running one of these in the truck seeing as it could be easily done. Has the SC been running cooler w/ the larger IC? I figured you'd have much more surface area for cooling. Steve

convertables can't go faster than 13s ?? That is wrong my cusions convertable 5.0 is running high 13s at 4500 elavation just wanted to let you know incase that is what was restricting you from completeing youy convertable goal

I think that anything under 13 flat has to have a roll bar. I have a friend that got kicked off the track after warning him he ran 3 12.4's. They told him not to run it again until he had a roll bar.

sccoupe 30, How did you shorten the core?

Jeff

powerstroke intercooler

My dad has a powerstroke diesel v8 f-350 with a gail banks turbo system and intercooler. The thing is gigantic, not only in length but also in width. I don't even think it would fit under the hood of a thunderbird. Plus, with an intercooler that large, you'd have to decide whether to front mount it or put it behind the radiator. And if you put it in front, you're going to be worrying about cooling efficiency of a already horrible cooling system (assumung your running a stock radiator). I'd junk the air/air intercooler idea entirely and invest my time and money into a air/water system like on the Cobra-R and ones used with the F-150 lightning. A lot smaller, easy to adapt to race conditions, and way more efficient than an air/air core (especially since you'll see a larger pressure drop the larger the air/air core used). You could get similar cooling from a small air/water core as a large air/air core without the pressure drop of and area. Anyway, that's my input...
Late!
------Dylan

One question to those with the front mounts....Does the IC being infront of the radiator block air flow. Does it raise temps enough to worry about? Thanks for the info!!!

Its actually 13.99 or faster you must have at LEAST a 4pt roll bar. Most tracks would like it to have a 6pt, but you can get away with having a 4pt if your running high 13's.

That is a very nice Turbo setup you have on their, im thinking about building another SC motor and dropping it in a Mustang or something, that will be very nasty (my machine shop said they can go to a 4.000" Piston in that motor :D :D ).

Powerstroke intercooler

Well you can always rent a truck with one in there, and swap the sc intercooler with that one, no one will know....

I'm just joking, lol

Back