Gettin rid of about 15 to 20 Lbs off the SC, write up "batt"

ricardoa1

Well first take a drive up to autozone and purchase a miata battery, they have them behind the counter so you cannot steal them. Also grab the plastic battery hold down and a set of hold down rods, L shape. The battery was about $84 bux but carries a $12 core charge. You can bring back any battery it does not have to be the same size.
This is a rebadged battery for autozone so you are getting the same battery you find at the dealer. It has a 3 year free replacement warranty and pro-rated for 5years.

Specs,
Part Number: 8AMU1R
Weight: 24.0 lbs. House scale showed 22lbs
Warranty: 8 YR
32AH RESERVE CAPACITY
Note: Optional
*** 370 cold cranking Amps (460 cranking Amps) *** Battery is vented to outside of vehicle -> 3 year free replacement <-
MEASUREMENTS ARE 6 13/16" HIGH TO THE TOP OF THE POST 6 5/8 TO THE TOP OF THE CASE , 7 11/16" LONG, 5 1/4" WIDE

I weighed my battery next to he Miata battery and I am dropping about 19lbs, I used a house scale and the 65 series battery I had in my car came in at a heavy 39-40 lbs. Chances are you have a 65 series under your hood since in the catalogue it the lighter 58 series was only recomended for some 5speed models. Some say the 58 is about 34lbs~.
The miata battery came in at 22lbs on my scale. New hardware is about less then 1lbs. For my case I am saving around 18-19lbs.

Now the fun part begins.

Remove the old heavy battery "terminals etc". This will reveal your battery tray. It is held down by three bolts two on top and one on the side next to the IC. I guarantee you will snap the two top bolts because they are probably corroded and seized from the age and battery acid. So drill the remaining part and tap if necessary. If you are lucky you will remove the tray and keep on trucking, if you are unlucky and snap them then proceed with the dremel use your imagination for getting the broken bolts out. Or drill new holes on the tray and body of the car and put new bolts and nuts. The other side of the bolt can be seen by removing the fender splash shield.

Once you remove the tray you will be surprised by corrosion under the tray, seal and paint if you would like.

Then drill holes on the tray see picture for reference, One large for the rod and two to wrap around zip ties so it does not spin when bolting down in the end. If you have a better idea feel free to improvise on my design.

Put the tray back in and cut the rods down to a reasonable size.

Place the battery in the tray see pics for orientation.

Grind the adjustable hold down see picture that way it gives you a little more adjustment and make it smaller.

Bolt down the battery

Try to untangle the battery cables so the positive will get the most reach, and replace the terminals.

You just made the SC loose 15lbs to 20lbs. :D ;) You also made room for a Snow pump or reservoir.

Battery012.jpg

Battery009.jpg

Battery008.jpg

Battery013.jpg

Battery002.jpg

Battery001.jpg

Battery011.jpg

Battery006.jpg

Battery005.jpg

Battery007.jpg

Battery003.jpg

Last edited:
Damon,
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95474

Ken,
You can too :p
I take weight off the car to offset all of the other performance/enhancement items that add weight to the car.
I would not be surprised If I am at the same weight as a stocker SC.
Between braces, sways, exhaust, M112 and FMIC....etc, all I want is not to make the pig heavier. :D

Damon,
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95474

Ken,
You can too :p
I take weight off the car to offset all of the other performance/enhancement items that add weight to the car.
I would not be surprised If I am at the same weight as a stocker SC.
Between braces, sways, exhaust, M112 and FMIC....etc, all I want is not to make the pig heavier. :D

Move the battery to the trunk, put the weight where it will do some good;). After porting my M112 it is probably lighter than a M90:D I am in the same boat, Im sure my 13" rotors bigger calipers and misc improvements didnt lighten the car. But the fiberglass hood, battery relocation, and throwing out the AC compressor evens things out. It would be nice to weigh it someday

Ken

It is more useful at the rear of the car. But the extra cables to rear would add about 10lbs. If not more :(

It is more useful at the rear of the car. But the extra cables to rear would add about 10lbs. If not more :(

Use wireless technolgy:D:D:D I only have a positive cable running forward. Negative cable grounds to the body. Doubt it weighs 10 lbs;) Regardless removing the battery from under the hood frees up a lot of space for other improvements

Ken

Last edited:
Back