fuel line at sending unit popped off.

mywhite89

I was driving the other day, and the car just dies on me as I'm passing someone on a two-lane road. I found a major fuel leak coming from the top of the fuel tank area. I think when I put it back together it seems that I may not have gotten the main feed line clipped in all the way at the sending unit.

Anyone ever made this careless mistake before? I was luckily a few miles from an uncles house, so I towed the car to his place and will be heading to Ohio tonight to fix it and bring it home.

Is it possible to clip this line back in by just lowering the tank a little and not having to drop the exhaust? I'm just trying to fix this thing as fast as possible and get it home where its safe and inside. No more wintertime trips on nice days. Car ran flawlessly on the two-hour trip to Ohio prior to this.

Last edited:
You should be able to access it without a total drop. & then make it right with a new clip. This can be done with one hand, or you can run a zip-tie but that will be a challange too. Try to get someone with E.T. arms too.

You should be able to access it without a total drop. & then make it right with a new clip. This can be done with one hand, or you can run a zip-tie but that will be a challange too. Try to get someone with E.T. arms too.

Hey thanks for the info. I figured I would have to take off the exhaust. The more I think about it, this wont be too bad of a job really. I can't believe I didn't get this thing clipped in correctly. I guess if you guys would have been their while I was doing this, you could understand how though. Dark, didn't have the back of the car high enough, and very late at night. Wish me luck...first for the job, second trying to get it home in this snow mixed weather were having that I said I would never drive it in.

Last edited:
Turned out to be just what I thought, the main sender line must not have been clipped in properly. Fixed it and drove it home with no problems.:)

Back