Which oil sending unit?

tinman_72

Months ago I got my SC all tore apart, replaced the head gaskets and got the heads and intake on. Then it got too cold to work on for a while. So finally today is sunny and warm enough for me to work on it.
I had bought many things that I figured I should replace. One of which is the oil pressure sending unit. The original is the right one in the picture. Autozone had two different units listed. One for electronic gauges and one for non-electronic. So I made a guess and bought one. It looked just like the original one except the yellow highlighted part was one half as tall as the one pictured. I figured it must be the wrong one and took it back and exchanged for the one pictured on the left. (Duralast p/n PS164) Now I just want to be sure before I put it all back together and find that I have the wrong one. The only reason I am unsure is the difference in the hex part. The other part had the hex like the original.

Attachments

• oil_sending_unit.jpeg
    oil_sending_unit.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 97
Check for electrical continuity across the switch. The one that is open with no pressure applied is the one you want to use.

Might have been a good time to replace it with the variable pressure switch, instead of the on/off type of dummy switch.

- Dan

Thanks for the info guys. I considered doing the oil gauge mod but I just want to get the car running.

Most cars had the resistor on the circuit board on the gauge cluster. As mentioned some of the cars had it in the wire not far from the sensor itself.

If you ever swap your gauge cluster out and you've done that mod, you will need to check on that resistor.

My 90 as well as the 2 others I've stripped down had the resistor in the cluster.

from ur picture, the one on the left is the right one.

u dont wanna go with a variable pressure switch instead of the on/off stock one ?

from ur picture, the one on the left is the right one.

u dont wanna go with a variable pressure switch instead of the on/off stock one ?
Actually, in the picture both are the correct. The one on the left is the original.:)
I am really just trying to get the car running before going through any kind of trouble with mods. I finally got the car running yesterday afternoon but there are still some issues that have to be addressed. I have an exhaust leak somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. There is a sound coming from the front side of the engine that sure doesn't sound right. I heard a sound clip from someone's car that made a similar sound that was supposed to be the coupler in the snout, so hopefully it is not more serious than that. The car runs smooth but it doesn't seem to have as much power as it should. It runs strong but not as strong as the stock SC that I drove a few times back in the mid 90's.

Back