Cruise Control failure on 1992 SC

Darth

Early this year I had my first CC servo failure. Seems there is a plastic part that attaches to the servo that breaks. Had to replace with a used part and 8 months later that one failed. Another used servo, and that one lasted for 4 days. Lucked out and found "the last new one in the country". Hope this will last the rest of MY life. This plastic is evidently deteriorating in the salvage yards, and evidently no one is making a replacement.

Help

Well! My "last new one in the country" just broke the same as all the others. The cable attachment on the diaphram breaks off. Evidently the plastic has deteriorated so another used one probably won't last either.

This servo looks like a million others that I have seen in engine compartments of various cars. Has anybody adapted a different servo?

My dad had to replace the 1 on his Crown Vic and was told by the stealership that they are pretty standard along the ford line. He ended up getting his from a Tbird and it works fine.

Is there something else that could be causing the breakage....

Maybe something is binding up and causing the premature failures.....

CC linkage

I spoke with a guy awile back that was having the same problem and it turned out to be something with the linkage needing adjustment. Might give it a try.

Randall

I can't understand why this isn't happening to everybody.

I have noticed that when it is working, and I go down an incline so the throttle backs off, when I start back up the incline, sometimes the throttle "bangs" back on. Maybe this is what breaks the servo. I'll try another used one, and see if I can play with the linkage adjustment to eliminate this.

These servos are becoming hard to find. The part number indicates they are used up to 95. I have found they are used on some probes as well as mercury and t'birds. Part number E5AF 9A827-AA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pretty sure the 87-93 fox body mustangs used the same style servo. Mounted in the same easy to get to location....

What does the servo amplifier do? Could this be the problem with the CC "banging" in too harsh?

Don't know if this what you are looking for ... Rockauto has them listed. I went to the Motorcraft.com site and put in the Motorcraft # DY588 and they list it being used on over 700 applications. Rockauto calls it a Cruise Control Sensor.
There is usually a Rockauto discount code floating around the site. It is not much, but helps pay the freight.

Later
dbd

May not be what you are looking for.

Attachments

• DY588.jpg
    DY588.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 99
Don't know if this what you are looking for ... Rockauto has them listed. I went to the Motorcraft.com site and put in the Motorcraft # DY588 and they list it being used on over 700 applications. Rockauto calls it a Cruise Control Sensor.
There is usually a Rockauto discount code floating around the site. It is not much, but helps pay the freight.

Later
dbd

May not be what you are looking for.

The part in the photo goes in the transmission. The speedo gear goes on one end. (I had mine out a bunch of times changing speedo gears in an attempt to get my speedometer to be accurate.)

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back