View Full Version : Raised top

12-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to report the completion of my raised top fabrication and the results. I've been working on it on and off for the past few weeks and finally installed it last night. I used Loctite 518 gasket eliminator on the flange. It's been almost 24 hours and it's still pretty wet. Temp in the garage is only about 40 degrees though. Anyone had this problem?
I could definitely feel and see a differance during the test run. At about 30 degrees it pulled just shy of 15 lbs, up from about 12-13. I also noticed that it continued to pull with increasing rpm, not taper off. I'm happy with the results and damn PROUD! We'll see what it does at the track!

12-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I use permatex copper rvt and it's great

12-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Looks good man. Any more pics? How did you increase the height? From those pictures you can hardly tell that it was not cast that way.

Jim Cook
12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Loctite 518 is an anerobic compound, meaning that it sets up under conditons w/o oxygen. Any 518 that has oozed out of the flange will never set up because it is exposed to air. It has likely set up within the flange by now so I'd say wipe off the excess and road test.

12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
whats a raised top?

12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Manny are you asking seriously?

12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Cant remember where I read it, but I thought the anerobic was recommended. Thanks for the tip.

To get the raise I bolted a 1" block of aluminum to the original flange. Second step was to cut out the inner material, so it could get welded from the inside. I then shaved off the excess metal on the outside in a milling machine, which geve it the factory flange look. Last step was to cut out the old restricted throat and weld in a new piece made from a scrap tube. I was too into the progress to stop and take pics, but heres a couple more close ups. It's definitely not a perfect milling job, I made a couple mistakes here and there. Another mistake was I didn't take into account the angle for the tube connection, which is why I used a silicone coupler. When it warms up I'll need to double check for leaks, but the inital test drive tells me it's ok.

12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Well the milling machine definitely allows the top to look natural. With a 1" addition, you must have an aftermarket hood on the car?

12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey JJ - what's up? Did you get the e-mail about the meet in January in Lincoln? If not, let me know and I can get the details to ya :D Hope to see ya

whats a raised top?

lol :D


12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
when I make mine I cut at base add 3/4 or 1 inch depends on whats wanted.
weld and grind like forever i now have new cast bottoms and just cut top off just below rounded part and weld onto the taller bases,

have a high school make em for me they just cant make complete tops for me they only do basic foundry. my son is working on new raised top castings
he makes jewery and other catings so he has small over and smelter.

yours looks great. i like the stock apearing shap thats how i make mine .

Ive converted a few fast freddy tops to look like this its easy when you have the right tools to cut it down and shape. on the angle its hard on a 1 inch the taller the top the harder it is to get it toline up. geast job dude.

good looking as they get
here is mine http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24833&d=1171212889

12-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey JJ - what's up? Did you get the e-mail about the meet in January in Lincoln? If not, let me know and I can get the details to ya :D Hope to see ya

lol :D


Man, it's tough to get out. Wife works nights and her schedule changes daily. Someday I'll make it to another meet. I had to pull teeth just to make it to the track last summer. I do get your e mails, soon as I can make one I'll let you know!

Still have the original hood. It doesn't appear to hit, yet. Hood closes just fine.

Thanks for the compliments fellas,

Jim Cook
12-31-2007, 11:02 AM
518 is recommended. It's not that hard to find and I'll continue to use it to seal the top and the plenum to the supercharger. We use it at work to seal 3-stage centrifugal compressors that put out 125 PSIG so it's good stuff. What I was trying to say is that the 518 between the SC and the top will set up because it is not exposed to air. The excess that you can see will never set up. So, you can't use that to gage whether or not you have a good seal. In fact, the last time I used 518 on a top was '97 and the excess was still soft after 9 years when I pulled the top last year. The 518 that actually made up the gasket was hard and brittle, just as it should have been. Go out and play with your new handywork, which looks good BTW.

12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Chris Lazzo posted on here a while back that he has "make your own" raised top bases for sale as well. Or he can weld it up for you. I just wanted to mention another SC-er who might be helpful.

12-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I have heard many good things about the rasied tops Manny has made. My thoughts were to cut a second top off and join the two. Then open it up as needed. One of these days we'll get to the local U - Pull - It BEFORE all the blower and related stuff is stripped off the occassional S.C. there.