PDA

View Full Version : Restoration Road

Cobra85
12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, finally started the repaint of the 91 this week. Should proceed without too much fan fare. Luckly it has no rust to repair (eat your hearts out northern boys :D ) and not many dents to fix. Pics below ammounts to about 2 days of work. Will finish removing the 1/4 windows & mirriors tomorrow.

coolhand
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Have fun with this. Make sure its done correctly and it will be like a fine peice of jewellry.
And not all the northern cars are rust buckets!!!!!!!!!

Matt

garsc
12-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Glenn its nice to start out with a fairly nice car, looks like you are going about it the right way. Good Luck looking forward to seeing it when its done, I am kinda partial to red SCs.:cool: I need to repaint mine soon, can you save me your old paint? Its better than mine.:D NICE car.

Flip
12-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Glenn,
Looks nice, I'm sure it's going to turn out great. Post some pics when you get it done. What brand of paint are you going to use?

SuperChicken89
12-30-2007, 10:04 PM
I like the custom duct tape look. Gives it that special Red/Green Show appeal. http://www.redgreen.com/
http://www.3m.com/intl/CA/english/centres/home_leisure/duct_tape/

Bryan

Cobra85
12-30-2007, 11:01 PM
A few more pics.

Cobra85
12-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I need to repaint mine soon, can you save me your old paint? Its better than mine.:D NICE car.

Gary,
The paint looks good in photo's only. The clear coat is pealing off the top surface.

garsc
12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Figures that is the same problem I have. I am thinking about repainting mine in single stage paint instead of basecoat/clearcoat. Clearcoat dont seem to last long here in Fla.:(

SuperChicken89
12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Clearcoat dont seem to last long here in Fla.:(

That isn't correct at all! If the proper amount of clearcoat is applied in the correct proceedure, the finish won't fail. Ford didn't apply the correct depth of clear on these cars when they were painted. They tried to save a few bucks when these cars were manufactured. Also when color sanding the clear try to sand off as little as possible. The UV stabilizers in the clear are mainly at the surface. It is something like the upper 10-20% of the clear. I know someone's black SC that is daily driven has a 10+ year old base/clear which looks like it was painted yesterday.

Bryan

garsc
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Factory finishes are garbage at best. I repainted the hood roof and decklid and spoiler 2 years ago using DuPont materials as directed {I know what I am doing painted my first car in 1972} The clear is already trying to lift. I painted the bumpers grill and tonneau cover on my truck 4 years ago in single stage and they still look perfect.

SuperChicken89
12-31-2007, 10:25 PM
I repainted the hood roof and decklid and spoiler 2 years ago using DuPont materials as directed {I know what I am doing painted my first car in 1972} The clear is already trying to lift.

If the clear is delaminating from the base coat already, then you did something wrong or had defective supplies. When the process is done correctly, they won't separate.

By the way, I painted my first car in 1976:D You don't have much of a head start on me. As of last count, I've painted 24 vehicles in all different finishes. Base/clearcoat is by far the best process I have ever utilized. It is almost idiot proof.

Single stage urethane paints are great for nonmetallic finishes. They can be color sanded and buffed to look fantastic.

Bryan

garsc
01-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Defective materials would be my guess.I always buy name brand quality materials but I guess you can have a bad batch of anything. I saw my old 69 mustang yesterday I painted back in 2000 it still looks brand new {b/c} and it sits outside all the time. I literally have painted a couple hundred cars over the years and can count the flops on one hand.I will probably go B/C with a different brand, that wont be till next year tho.

Brad Klein
01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=garsc;699358]Defective materials would be my guess.I always buy name brand quality materials but I guess you can have a bad batch of anything. QUOTE]

I would guess the same we painted my wifes Altima(now mine) with Sikkens she then wrecked it twice within a month and I got some free DuPont from our paint guy at work. The Sikkens looks great but the DuPont is gone the clear is cracking and flaking and turning yellow. It was a batch they were experimenting on and I guess it didnt work. It makes me mad now cause one side of the car looks great but the other is total crap.

garsc
01-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Funny you should mention Sikkens. I painted a buddys drag car with it about 15 years ago I saw it New Years Eve it still looks good no problems. Its a bit pricey but worth it and sprays great, very forgiving. The company I used to buy it from is gone away but if I can still find it I would consider using it.

Cobra85
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I have considered Sikkens as well. I've heard a lot of good things about their paint, especially the clear coat. I used DuPont BC/CC on my Mustang almost 9 years ago and it still looks fantastic.

garsc
01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
I just found out that Dupont and Nason {real cheap paint} have merged or Dupont bought them and a painter friend says that since that happened he has had problems too. Nason is what Econo and those cheap paint job places use on the cheap jobs.My buddy likes Sherwin Williams says he uses it all the time and he can get it from NAPA.

Brad Klein
01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I have Sikkens on my Bird got a gallon of black and 2 gallons of clear with all hardeners and reducers free :eek::eek: and its still looks good 10 years later. Right now I'm debating on using Sikkens again or going to Glasrit cause thats what the shop uses where the cars at so I can get a pretty good deal on it. Its hard to beat Sikkens black

Cobra85
01-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Boy howdy, you can't beat FREE !! I can't wait to purchase the paint for the car. 9 years ago I had almost 1000 for the paint that went on the Stang. red is one of the most expensive colors.

garsc
01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Glenn I know about that red, thats what really worries me. You spend so much money on materials, not to mention your time, its almost worth it to pay someone to paint it.Thing is I dont have 2-3k to spend painting my car. So for now it hides in shame in the garage.:(

Cobra85
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Two more weekends of work.

Brad Klein
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Boy that Florida sun really does eat red paint:eek::eek:
Since were giving updates here are two of mine
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30304&d=1201369937
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30305&d=1201369937

Cobra85
02-14-2008, 11:26 PM
More progress.

garsc
02-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Well I decided to paint mine, it goes under the gun next week. I sand and prep it and he masks and shoots it for $800.

garsc
02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Just got the car back from the painter this afternoon, paint needs to be polished out but looks great. He used the good Dupont paint and will guarantee it. Some assembly required:eek:

Cobra85
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Well,
After lots of prep work and two day spraying, finally completed the painting with my brothers help. The pics that follow are the final primer coat, block sanded. Then the paint shots just before I removed all the wrapping. Now the fun starts. Lots of wet sanding & buffing to make this red really shine.

Cobra85
05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
And more pics after spraying.

Flip
05-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Looks Great, must be nice to get that done. Little wet sand, little buffing, little assembly and it will be done. :D

SuperChicken89
05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Boy was that fun:D Now for the color sanding and buffing. Lets see... first 1000 grit then 1500, 2000, and ending with 2500 before buffing. Hope we put enough clear on there:D

Bryan

Brad Klein
05-26-2008, 04:36 PM
was there a reason you took everything off except the moldings they aren't that hard to take off and the are only on with tape

Sweet90SC
05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Man that wore me out!... Looks Great Glen, Looks like you and Bryan had a great time..:rolleyes: You should go ahead and seal your gagrage floor now too...Since its all bright red..

Cobra85
05-26-2008, 09:06 PM
was there a reason you took everything off except the moldings they aren't that hard to take off and the are only on with tape

Just didn't feel like it. Didn't want to try to line everything up again. Was easier to tape off then to try to remove the glue left behind on both the car and moldings.

Cobra85
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Man that wore me out!... Looks Great Glen, Looks like you and Bryan had a great time..:rolleyes: You should go ahead and seal your gagrage floor now too...Since its all bright red..

Na, when you use a HVLP gun you have very little over spray except when it comes time to clear it. Had a bit more then, but nothing like when you use a regular gun.
Oh yea, loads o fun. Cursing, fussing, wet sanding primer because the paint store sold you primer surfacer instead of primer sealer.

kamakazie_1
05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
That looks really nice Glen, my 90 Anny next please!!

Hi guys!!

RJ

Cobra85
05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks, RJ and everybody else that has commented. Still a long road to finishing. Wet sand, buff (don't sand or buff through the clear), glaze, polish with Zano, ect.
Hum, maybe I can talk the detail man into helping LOL.

Shined the top of the door frame tonight, boy howdy does it shine.:D

kamakazie_1
05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I was about to suggest the same thing there Glen, where is Dan'O lately, he is the best wet sander and polisher we have around here!! :) Lot's of experience!!

RJ

Brad Klein
05-28-2008, 12:29 PM
wait 2 posts in 2 days are you back RJ?

kamakazie_1
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
wait 2 posts in 2 days are you back RJ?

My cloaking device must have failed... I've been here dude, Just felt like TJ the last year, cars broke, cash gone.. secluded, left behind, BROKE!!:mad:

RJ

Cobra85
05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey, things will get better. Yer buds are always here :D

Cobra85
06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Wet sanding almost complete on the body. If all goes well, should finish all sanding in a few week ends. Then the buffing & polishing will comence.

kamakazie_1
06-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Can't wait to see it finished Glen, I'm sure it will look awsome! I still think Dan should get over there and help, he is the wet sanding king!! :D

RJ

Cobra85
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Yea, I tried the nekid dancing girls thing, but that didn't work. Um, maybe I need to ramp it up a bit. Any suggestions???

kamakazie_1
06-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Well we all know about Dan and his kind of "Nekid Dancing Girls"!! :eek::eek:

Cobra85
06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh yea, I forgot about the Upper Mongolian women.

onequiksc
06-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Mongolian women need love too. :)

They need a lot of things actually...

Good to see you here RJ.

Glenn, I here good things from Bryan on the paint job. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

kamakazie_1
06-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Good to see you out here to Dan, I believe Glen has invited you to see the paint job up close and personal... :D

RJ

Cobra85
06-25-2008, 01:31 PM
With buffer in hand?? I'd offer beer, but I don't recall you being of a drinking nature :D

Sweet90SC
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Percocet?:rolleyes:

Cobra85
06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
No offence ,Rick, but I want a coat of paint left when I'm done :D

INDANGERED_BIRD
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
hey i was hoping to see more :) is it all shinny yet ????

chris

Cobra85
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Yea, I know. Y'all are hanging in suspence. And I've been slackin' off from taking pictures. Seems the weather sometimes has not cooperated. :D
But I promise to take pictures & post later this weekend. Reassembly is going slow, but steady. Car & all loose parts have had the wet sanding completed, almost all buffing is done, and some parts have been reattached. By the end of the weekend, I should have the outside completed. Then remove all seating, steamclean the entire inside, get new headliner & driverside seat bolster repaired.
Should be ready for the first show in October.

Cobra85
09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok, here are some new pics. Outside is mostly back together, just needs the stripe back on and a really good detail. hope to have the new headliner installed within the next few weeks as well as repairing the driver side bolster.

Flip
09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Glenn,
It is looking really nice, great job.

I have a nice Black Leather interior for that thing, you know everybody wants black. :D

INDANGERED_BIRD
09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
wow glen it looks great i only hope mine comes out half as good when i paint it i do see one thing you have taken all the pics in the garage now that it looks so good are you not going to take out :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris

Cobra85
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Flip.
Chris,
Thanks and the reason that the pics are all in the shop is the ground outside of the door is still very soft from all the rain. If it dries out mor this weekend, I'll pull it out Sunday and take some more shots.

Cobra85
09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I have a nice Black Leather interior for that thing, you know everybody wants black. :D

Yea, black & red would look great, but I only need the driver seat repaired :eek:
Maybe on the next one. Still looking for a drk blue metalic one. Then I can be patriotic. :D

SuperChicken89
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Still looking for a drk blue metalic one:D

I know where there is one that only need a little work:D

Bryan

Cobra85
09-05-2008, 09:18 AM
I know where there is one that only need a little work:D

Bryan

Only a little work? By now it might need LOTS of work. Could be stamped pretty flat :eek:

Brad Klein
10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
I figured I would update as I will have new pictures tomorrow of the car in the spray booth finally there is still a little work on the front bumper but the guy helping with that needs the car so it will be painted later

SuperChicken89
10-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I figured I would update as I will have new pictures tomorrow of the car in the spray booth finally there is still a little work on the front bumper but the guy helping with that needs the car so it will be painted later

Look forward to finally seeing the car in color. It has been a long time coming. Post pictures when you can.

Bryan

superdadsc
10-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Glenn

The red looks awesome! Beautiful SC! Looks like mine will need a little bodywork. Very little but a good reason to paint:D

Stephen

Brad Klein
10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
so we ran a little behind they had a car that needed painted Friday so we didnt get started till 1ish and finished around 2 today. I will say I liked the old school flames but I never cared for the way they looked there were to many weird spots that bugged me on the way they were laid out. these I love I know there are some funny spots but I think they will go away. the bumpers ground fx and mirrors still need paint and Im gonna need new moldings for the top of the front and back windows and I should have it back to the house by mid week :D:D:D

what do you guys think about pin striping it I was thinking of doing purple on the black and black on the purple but I kind of like it the way it is

sorry for the camera phone pics they didnt want me going in and out cause it was still wet

Kurt K
10-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks awesome Brad.

Flip
10-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Brad,
Looks great, take some other photos once you get it back to the house.

I would without the pin striping for now until you get it outside and look at it for a few day.

Waiting to see that front bumper cover. :D

Nice Job.

SuperChicken89
10-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Looks good Brad! I bet it feels great to finally have the paint laid down:)

Bryan

Brad Klein
10-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Waiting to see that front bumper cover. :D

Nice Job.

Thanks guys it should be home early this week they have a couple spots where the clear got a little heavy and they want to sand those out then I get to wet sand a buff the whole thing

Im waiting to Flip it was the whole reason the car was sitting down there for so long but once I get the car home I can get it out to the in laws and finish it

Cobra85
10-31-2008, 09:47 AM
WOW Brad, it looks fantastic! Makes mine look bad :rolleyes:
Hope to see it soon.

Flip
12-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Ok Brad,
Whats the update "pics" on the SC? I have seen Glenn's SC and it looks great. Since we have them combined here whats the update? Inquiring minds want to know??:D :D

INDANGERED_BIRD
12-11-2008, 08:13 PM
yea what Flip sad:D:D

Chris

Brad Klein
12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I wish I had something for ya I've been working with a buddy on an internet site and its been taking up at least one day on the weekend and I need to paint the jams before I can go any farther. I did put my wheels on it and clean what was in the interior and my father in law said to bring it over when I'm ready and we can do the bumper. So until I get the jams done I got nothing I wanted to do it this weekend but Pam is bugging me to get the lights on the house

It will get done soon and you guys will be the first to know
I'm still happy its painted and home