Possible Radiator upgrade

Any radiator that fits will work well, with exception to the use of a SIC or DIC. That looks pretty darn close to the stock configuration.

Good price, too.

Any radiator that fits will work well, with exception to the use of a SIC or DIC. That looks pretty darn close to the stock configuration.

Good price, too.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.It's actually a little narrower then the stock one which would give us guys with dbl i/c a little extra space.Plus it suppose to cool better than a 4-row cooper/brass rad and I think our cars only have a 2 or 3 row.So this should keep it a good deal cooler.Even though it's a downflow versus a crossflow but it looks to be way more efficient.

Jay

Very similar to the one I have on my car. I live somewhat close to summit and scored a griffin floor model for $50 for a Ford. Just made some custom brackets and it works perfect.

Sorry I don't, Im actually remaking the entire lower brace that supports the rad and intercooler. I can take a few pictures when Im working on that, maybe it will give you some ideas.

How does it cool compared to the stock rad? WHat type of climate do you experience? A floor model for what vehicle? Can you "score" any more? Maybe for a small monetary compensation....nudge,nudge, wink, wink.

I really don't remember, but im pretty sure it was for some year mustang. I live in Ohio and only drive my car in the summer, it never gets above 190 even on some of the hottest days.

I doubt you would be able to get another for that price. This was just something summit did when the were renovating their showroom. They had alot of floor models going for cheap prices, you just had to be lucky and you had to be there lol sorry...

I think I'm gonna have to buy this rad and do a thread on how to fab the mounts to mount it and bolt up the stock fan.So we can all have a little cheaper rad upgrade than the griffin 5 bill one.

Jay

Jay,

I have seen those rads go on Ebay for about a hundred bucks less man. If you are trying to save money, why not take it to the max.

Jay,

I have seen those rads go on Ebay for about a hundred bucks less man. If you are trying to save money, why not take it to the max.

Do they still have the bungs to bolt up mounting brackets on them?That's one of the things I liked about the summit rad cause they are already there so it'd save time not having to take it to a welder to weld on some mounting brackets.

Jay

Jay,

No big deal. Just search under aluminum radiator for anything listed and you can sift through 40 pages of rads. Most list dimensions and if not you can ask until you see something you think will work.

You can also search by specific rad manufacturers as well. You can choose between crossflow and downflow depending on what you want to try. Let me know what you come up with

I'll probably end up buying one of the summit ones later on this month.I've bought their al rads before and had good luck with them plus they're easier to work with if I receive it and there is a problem with it.If/when I get one I'll post up pics and specs on how to fab the brackets to mount it and mount the stock fan so anyone wanting to do the same thing will know exactly what they are getting into and what they'll need to get it bolted up.I'm not looking to use the cheapest rad I can get my hands on I just can't bring myself to spend 5 bills on one already set up for our cars.Especially when I don't even need one with a i/c bracket since I have one of Ken's sweet dbl i/c's.

Jay

Jay,

What do you mean you don't need the brackets with Ken's double IC? I thought only the boot gets tossed? How does it mount if not with the brackets from the rad?

Jay,

What do you mean you don't need the brackets with Ken's double IC? I thought only the boot gets tossed? How does it mount if not with the brackets from the rad?

It just mounts to the i/c tubes which as you know already have support bolts to help support them so it's all good to go.None of my buddies with dbl i/c's have them bolted to anything but the i/c tubes and no one's had any problems so far.

Jay

the only thing that bolts to the IC from the rad is the boot, and thats just to direct the air in, not to keep it in place or anything.

On both of our cars due to the raised tops, those sopport bolts no longer line up. The tubes are fairly rigid so I don't believe it would matter anyway.

Back