PDA

View Full Version : Rear torsional braces

CougarXR/7
12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Well......I'l start my own thread and get away from the thread where a member scammed others.

I build rear braces using 1/4" x 3" x 4 1/2" Flat stock and 1" I.D. tubing/pipe.

I bore a hole to help add strength and so the tube/pipe is not mounted in shear.

I arc weld them together using 309 Stainless steel rod.

I am not a business, just a born Ford man filling a need and having fun.

We have tested these on our cars and those of friends as well, with no problems.

I had been drilling 5/8" mounting holes, but have decided that a 1/2" hole is fine.

There is not much need for a larger hole for mounting alignment.

I include grade eight bolts/washers and zinc plated nylon lock nuts.

I am charging $75.00 plus shipping.

I have posted some pics of them painted and not.

I have been painting them a maroon/burgundy color.

Any questions? let me know! The first one sold will be boxed up and on it's way soon.

CougarXR/7
12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Here is a pic of one of our early designs/ideas on my oldest Sons 94' 4.6 LX.

I used 1" x 1" stainless steel box tubing for the first few.

I have changed over to a heavier round 1" I.D. tubing/pipe.

I may also start to buy up the aluminum axle covers and drill and tap them for drain plugs.

It is a lot faster and cleaner way to drain your axle. I did this modification to my 92' S.C.

THE BIRDMAN
01-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Glad to see you made you're own posat Ron it's a good call you don't want you're name mixed up with Kevin's at all that ~~~~ stills owes me a 140 or some parts and it's been a couple months.Looking forward to geting you're product.Do you have any plans to make anything else?

Jay

CougarXR/7
01-01-2008, 02:08 PM
My Sons and I have been discussing other braces/etc. for MN-12s.

Each of us drives one, oldest Son a 94' 4.6LX, youngest Son a 95' 4.6LX and my 92' S.C..

I've been thinking of the example I saw for a brace from the K member to the
torque box/frame rail.

We've discussed buying rocker panels in bulk and selling them as well.

Also a rear shock body brace as well. This would add strength between each fender well/shock mount. My youngest Son could use one inhis 95'. I have not made up a template/or test piece yet.

Also, for some reason neither of our cars has a second strap/support for the gas tank. I'm in the final stages of installing a stainless steel 1" x 1" brace on my car.

I did make up a 1/4" x 3" x 6" "L" bracket to mount my remote oil filter mount to existing holes behind the front bumper channel. Youngest Son had another idea that worked for his 4.6. I made a stainless bracket to mount his filter.

For your brace, I decided to use a larger box to give it added protection during shipping. It's ready to go.

Thanks, Ron

THE BIRDMAN
01-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Sounds good looking forward to receiving it. Keep us all updated on any of the new braces you may or may not be offering.You might want to get up with Duffy about the braces he has trying to get when he too got screwed by Keith.It might be something you could build and sell.just a thoought.

Jay

XxSlowpokexX
01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
My 95 4.6 SC car has a crack in teh firewall. Anything to prevent excess flexing up front would be great. And yes the braces mentioned I may be interested in..Not sure this one will work with my exhaust

CougarXR/7
01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Where is the crack in your firewall? I'll take a look at our cars and see if an idea hits me.

There might be an opportunity to come up with another idea there.

The X - Brace that ....uh.........some one else didn't deliver?

Right now it's at or below zero here, so maybe this weekend I'll take a serious look under our cars.

I'm thinking of a bolt together "X" brace type of idea there.

Shipping a welded X would be a mess and costly.

I'm hoping to finish up the stainless steel gas tank support on my car too.

The trunk/shock base brace will be developed on my youngest Son's car.

It has some rust and we're looking to kill two birds with one stone there.

Add strength and prevent or reduce any stress/torsional forces.

At the moment, I have four rear braces painted and ready to go.

I usually build two or three at a time.

CougarXR/7
01-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Jason...............did some overtime today. Got home and the check had arrived today. I'll get over to the UPS Store and ship the brace Saturday!
I'll send you the tracking number/etc. from the store.

Damon...............how large a set of exhaust pipes do you have? I could make up one for you with a 5" deep plate to clear it.

My youngest Sons' 4.6 P.I. 95' LX has a cracked firewall too. I'll see if there is something we can do.

I have four here ready to go and parts for another two started.

I need a more reliable source for 1/2" grade eight bolts at the moment.

All are painted with the burgundy/maroon color. (it's different, too many black or yellow suspension parts out there)

I'm hoping to get my stainless gas tank piece finished this weekend too.

THE BIRDMAN
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Sounds good Ron I'll let you know when it gets here.

Jay

CougarXR/7
01-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Jason.............I was told it should arrive on Wednesday. Thanks, Ron

THE BIRDMAN
01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Jason.............I was told it should arrive on Wednesday. Thanks, Ron

I'll let you know as soon as it gets here.

Jay

CougarXR/7
01-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Damon............what diameter pipes does you car have?

These should clear 2 1/2" without a problem.

If you have say a 3" exhaust system, I'll make up one with a 5" side plate for you.

We're looking into a brace design to reduce flex AND firewall cracking.

CougarXR/7
01-08-2008, 09:34 PM
My oldest Son, had a suggestion...................we buy a clunker MN-12 and strip it.

This would be to examin ALL areas that may need a brace and develop them from there.

I have a few ideas for the firewall AND k-member support.

I may try to make up a test brace shortly and check the results.

Any other suggestions? We're also working on a rear shock/body brace too.

THE BIRDMAN
01-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Received my brace in the mail today.What a good feeling I ordered the brace paid for it and received it man this is how this buying something is suppose to work out LOL.But really I got it today and it looks like a quality piece looks noce and sturdy with good welds.It was also packaged nicely and even came with the grade 8 hardware to install it.I would definetly do business with Ron again he shipped everything quickly and took the time to package it right also.Plus he sent a tracking # as soon as it was shipped.Great guy to do business with.I'm looking forward to him designing more parts.

Ron I added you to the good sellers list.

Jay

XxSlowpokexX
01-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Yah I got ripped on those other braces as well....

Damon...............how large a set of exhaust pipes do you have? I could make up one for you with a 5" deep plate to clear it

They are 2.5 inch duals but I think its more the way they are routed. The kenny brown brace didnt fit

As for teh firewall maybe I can take some picturs to show you. I dont think I am the only one that has had that problem. Car has no rust and no moonroof and has never been hit..So its flex

CougarXR/7
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks Jay................glad you are happy with the brace.

It was a pleasure to do business with you as well.

I'll make an addition to the "Good Buyer" thread Mannysc started in your name.

Damon................duals? Could you send me or post a pic? I can make up a brace for you with a 5" side plate that should clear your exhaust with ease.

My youngest Son has the firewall cracks too. I have an idea that I want to try on our cars first.

I PROMISE that when I develop an idea we will test it on our cars first.

Then when we are happy...........will offer the brace/part to members on SCCoA.

Does your car have headers?

XxSlowpokexX
01-10-2008, 01:54 AM
the 4.6 has jba shorty headers and one sc has full lenght kooks and the other shorties

CougarXR/7
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Knowing you have headers, will help in setting up an X type brace support for the K member/etc.

I have an idea in my head closer to an H or a ladder.

This way I can tie the K member front to rear and side to side.

It will also allow me to tie this in at six locations rather than just four.

It will allow me to use one or two cross members to add more strength.

We're still developing our rear shock mount/trunk/fender well brace too.

I cut two 5" plates if you wanted a rear brace to clear your duals.

Right now I have four braces ready to go and pieces to build another three.

CougarXR/7
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I got a p.m. from TCCoA about the braces.

There is NO drilling and NO welding required.

The braces use the two 1/2" holes in the rear suspension member that are already there.

CougarXR/7
01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
The development of the shock brace contiunes.

I am leaning towards a design that is simple and effective.

However...it would require drilling two holes in your car.

I want to avoid costly welding to install them, or drilling excessive holes as well.

THE BIRDMAN
01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
The development of the shock brace contiunes.

I am leaning towards a design that is simple and effective.

However...it would require drilling two holes in your car.

I want to avoid costly welding to install them, or drilling excessive holes as well.

Keep us posted.

Jay

CougarXR/7
01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Jay..............I'm "on the fence" at the moment............one idea has two
1/2" bolts to secure the brace....................the other has four 3/8" bolts.

I will use 1" I.D. tubing/pipe for this piece as well.

I want to minimize the number of holes required, yet gain a soild and balanced mounting surface.

I also want to keep it low to the trunk surface. It could fit under OR over the trunk mat.

I may primer them in gray, then use trunk spackle paint on them so they match a bit better.

The front "H" brace may have to be made from 3/4" I.D. tubing/pipe to maintain sufficent clearance (ground/headers/etc.)

I may also begin to drill and tap 1/2" holes for magnetic drain plugs in the rear aluminum covers.

This will allow much faster and easier gear oil dranage and will catch loose metal particals.

There will be NO need to remove all those bolts and reseal the cover to the carrier.

Jeremy_K
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Do you guys have any plans of fabbing up something to make the rear diff more solid. I'd be very interested in something to help with my horrendous wheel hop. I think the ones that have been developed are a bit pricey for what they are.

CougarXR/7
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Driving style has more to do with wheel hop that a brace intended for cornering.

I am not aware of a brace that will cure wheel hop.

Jeremy_K
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing will totally "cure" wheel hop. I just figured with your abilities that you could make the parts that move to cause wheel hop more solid thus minimizing it. There used to be a brace for sale from SCP that mounted to the pumpkin but I can't find it on there now. As far as driving style, I'd just like to dump the clutch without breaking something that's all... I'm simple:)

CougarXR/7
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
The first design of the shock area/trunk brace is about to change again.

I may stay with using two 3/8" bolts per side to secure it.

It maybe mounted level with the top of the shock mount area.

This would prevent it from being hidden under the truck mat.

The first testing results didn't seem to show any dramatic difference.

I am confident that raising the mounting location will yield better results.

I'm going to try both flat stock and angle stock for a comparison.

I may begin to make changes to the rear brace and try to address wheel hop using the brace and additional pieces.

More welding and testing.

I can custom make a deeper rear brace to clear your exhaust at NO extra charge.

CougarXR/7
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Suddenly everyone is building braces of some type.

My first few shock/trunk braces are made from stainless steel.

Should I continue to build them, I'll be using 1" I.D. tubing/pipe and mounting pieces that use the maximum surface are possible.

The difficulty is in getting a standard drill motor and bit in that area.

I have an idea of including a template for drilling the holes from the wheel well area.

I will contiune to use ONLY grade eight bolts to fasten the braces.

CougarXR/7
03-01-2008, 01:15 AM
I turn 57 on the 2nd of March.

Interested in a brace?

Mention my birthday in a pm/e-mail and I'll reduce the price.

Fastronald@ameritech.net

CougarXR/7
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I'll be building FINAL DESIGN shock/trunk braces for testing shortly.

I'll be using 3" x 3" x 8" x 1/4 " mild steel and either 3/4" or 1" I.D. tubing/pipe.

They will use four grade eight bolts PER SIDE to mount them.

They will be either gloss black or gray primer and have trunk spackle paint on them.

Trimming the mat for them will be required as well.

I am also working on a "patch" to weld in place IF your car has rust just above the shock mounting area.

These "patches" might be set up to offer additional support for the shock braces.

I may package the shock and rear braces as a set.

They will be at a reduced price as the economy really sucks right now, and I'm looking to help members out.

Doug Franklin
03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't intend to run any exhaust through there. can you make me one that the cross bar is as high as you dare? I'm talking about your original post on the lower bar.

I'll send you and email.

Thanks

CougarXR/7
03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi.............I should have a brace here that will meet your requirements.

With the economy so bad, I'll offer it to you at a reduced price plus shipping costs.

Thanks, Ron

CougarXR/7
03-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll be making the first full production run of the shock braces.

I'll also be adding new Tokico Illumina shocks to the rear as well on my 92'.

So far, five will be 3/4" I.D. tube/pipe and one 1" x 1" stainless steel box channel.

CougarXR/7
03-17-2008, 05:33 PM
I donated a rear brace as a door prize at the Chicago area March meeting.

I'll do the same at the April meeting.

I may have some braces of each type to sell if attendees are interested.

NO shipping costs that way, due to the poor economy I've reduced the price as well.

Rear braces are now $30.00 plus shipping and shock braces are $40.00 plus shipping.

The first production run of shock braces are spoken for. I'll begin a second production run soon.

I have four rear braces on hand and will build more as needed.

CougarXR/7
03-30-2008, 09:33 PM
As of today, there are 11 rear braces.

The second run of 5 shock braces are again promised, I have not finished the sixth shock brace.

I am getting ready to build stainless steel shock braces to fill three needs.

Beyond that I have found that one modification I've made to three lines/machines at work are not and never have been on the market.

I may move into pieces for industrial equipment shortly Much less work and much more opportunity.

CougarXR/7
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
The local U.P.S. Store is happy to see me walk through the door.

Another shock brace is on it's way to a new home.

427Cammer
04-03-2008, 11:56 PM
IF you decide to tackle the task of designing/creating a better K-member, I recall a thread somewhere on this board where the discussion centered around wanting to raise the intake manifold height without bumping into the stock hood line -- one suggestion made was to consider placing the motor LOWER in the chassis, by modifying the motor mounts and/or K-member -- of course, header clearances and oil/tranny pan considerations would need to be contemplated carefully.

Just a thought.

Scott

CougarXR/7
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
The design and assembly of a K member is just too involved for me.

Too many variables to contend with.

Currently.........I have 5 rear braces and 1 shock brace left.

Ironsam63
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
CougarXR7, Can you explain all the benefits of your rear braces? Does it help to stop wheel hop in any way or is this more for handling? I've heard that everyone is happy with them and I'm interested to know exactly what it improves. I should be there on the 20th so maybe we can go into detail at the meet. Thanks, Sam.

CougarXR/7
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll be happy to explain any questions you might have. See you there!

The rear braces help reduce stress and flexing of the rear suspension. Those of us who tested them, feel they help the car corner and handle better.

I am working on a combination brace and carrier - pinion support to reduce wheel hop.

I've built a few shock braces already from mild steel.

I'll try to build a stainless steel "hidden" shock brace. It will be under the trunk mat.

I honestly hate the idea of cutting up a good trunk mat to fit the brace in.

Also, I feel it reduces an already small trunk space.

CougarXR/7
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I left a new message about the stainless "hidden" braces in the parts for sale section