Rear torsional braces

CougarXR/7

Well......I'l start my own thread and get away from the thread where a member scammed others.

I build rear braces using 1/4" x 3" x 4 1/2" Flat stock and 1" I.D. tubing/pipe.

I bore a hole to help add strength and so the tube/pipe is not mounted in shear.

I arc weld them together using 309 Stainless steel rod.

I am not a business, just a born Ford man filling a need and having fun.

We have tested these on our cars and those of friends as well, with no problems.

I had been drilling 5/8" mounting holes, but have decided that a 1/2" hole is fine.

There is not much need for a larger hole for mounting alignment.

I include grade eight bolts/washers and zinc plated nylon lock nuts.

I am charging $75.00 plus shipping.

I have posted some pics of them painted and not.

I have been painting them a maroon/burgundy color.

Any questions? let me know! The first one sold will be boxed up and on it's way soon.

Attachments

• braces1.jpg
    braces1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 234
  • braces2.jpg
    braces2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 198
  • braces3.jpg
    braces3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 136
  • braces4.jpg
    braces4.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 163
  • braces5.jpg
    braces5.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 169
Braces

Here is a pic of one of our early designs/ideas on my oldest Sons 94' 4.6 LX.

I used 1" x 1" stainless steel box tubing for the first few.

I have changed over to a heavier round 1" I.D. tubing/pipe.

I may also start to buy up the aluminum axle covers and drill and tap them for drain plugs.

It is a lot faster and cleaner way to drain your axle. I did this modification to my 92' S.C.

Attachments

• 94'.jpg
    94'.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Glad to see you made you're own posat Ron it's a good call you don't want you're name mixed up with Kevin's at all that ~~~~ stills owes me a 140 or some parts and it's been a couple months.Looking forward to geting you're product.Do you have any plans to make anything else?

Jay

Braces

My Sons and I have been discussing other braces/etc. for MN-12s.

Each of us drives one, oldest Son a 94' 4.6LX, youngest Son a 95' 4.6LX and my 92' S.C..

I've been thinking of the example I saw for a brace from the K member to the
torque box/frame rail.

We've discussed buying rocker panels in bulk and selling them as well.

Also a rear shock body brace as well. This would add strength between each fender well/shock mount. My youngest Son could use one inhis 95'. I have not made up a template/or test piece yet.

Also, for some reason neither of our cars has a second strap/support for the gas tank. I'm in the final stages of installing a stainless steel 1" x 1" brace on my car.

I did make up a 1/4" x 3" x 6" "L" bracket to mount my remote oil filter mount to existing holes behind the front bumper channel. Youngest Son had another idea that worked for his 4.6. I made a stainless bracket to mount his filter.

For your brace, I decided to use a larger box to give it added protection during shipping. It's ready to go.

Thanks, Ron

Sounds good looking forward to receiving it. Keep us all updated on any of the new braces you may or may not be offering.You might want to get up with Duffy about the braces he has trying to get when he too got screwed by Keith.It might be something you could build and sell.just a thoought.

Jay

My 95 4.6 SC car has a crack in teh firewall. Anything to prevent excess flexing up front would be great. And yes the braces mentioned I may be interested in..Not sure this one will work with my exhaust

Brace

Where is the crack in your firewall? I'll take a look at our cars and see if an idea hits me.

There might be an opportunity to come up with another idea there.

The X - Brace that ....uh.........some one else didn't deliver?

Right now it's at or below zero here, so maybe this weekend I'll take a serious look under our cars.

I'm thinking of a bolt together "X" brace type of idea there.

Shipping a welded X would be a mess and costly.

I'm hoping to finish up the stainless steel gas tank support on my car too.

The trunk/shock base brace will be developed on my youngest Son's car.

It has some rust and we're looking to kill two birds with one stone there.

Add strength and prevent or reduce any stress/torsional forces.

At the moment, I have four rear braces painted and ready to go.

I usually build two or three at a time.

Last edited:
Braces

Jason...............did some overtime today. Got home and the check had arrived today. I'll get over to the UPS Store and ship the brace Saturday!
I'll send you the tracking number/etc. from the store.

Damon...............how large a set of exhaust pipes do you have? I could make up one for you with a 5" deep plate to clear it.

My youngest Sons' 4.6 P.I. 95' LX has a cracked firewall too. I'll see if there is something we can do.

I have four here ready to go and parts for another two started.

I need a more reliable source for 1/2" grade eight bolts at the moment.

All are painted with the burgundy/maroon color. (it's different, too many black or yellow suspension parts out there)

I'm hoping to get my stainless gas tank piece finished this weekend too.

Last edited:
Brace

Damon............what diameter pipes does you car have?

These should clear 2 1/2" without a problem.

If you have say a 3" exhaust system, I'll make up one with a 5" side plate for you.

We're looking into a brace design to reduce flex AND firewall cracking.

Braces

My oldest Son, had a suggestion...................we buy a clunker MN-12 and strip it.

This would be to examin ALL areas that may need a brace and develop them from there.

I have a few ideas for the firewall AND k-member support.

I may try to make up a test brace shortly and check the results.

Any other suggestions? We're also working on a rear shock/body brace too.

Received my brace in the mail today.What a good feeling I ordered the brace paid for it and received it man this is how this buying something is suppose to work out LOL.But really I got it today and it looks like a quality piece looks noce and sturdy with good welds.It was also packaged nicely and even came with the grade 8 hardware to install it.I would definetly do business with Ron again he shipped everything quickly and took the time to package it right also.Plus he sent a tracking # as soon as it was shipped.Great guy to do business with.I'm looking forward to him designing more parts.

Ron I added you to the good sellers list.

Jay

Last edited:
Yah I got ripped on those other braces as well....

Damon...............how large a set of exhaust pipes do you have? I could make up one for you with a 5" deep plate to clear it

They are 2.5 inch duals but I think its more the way they are routed. The kenny brown brace didnt fit

As for teh firewall maybe I can take some picturs to show you. I dont think I am the only one that has had that problem. Car has no rust and no moonroof and has never been hit..So its flex

Braces

Thanks Jay................glad you are happy with the brace.

It was a pleasure to do business with you as well.

I'll make an addition to the "Good Buyer" thread Mannysc started in your name.

Damon................duals? Could you send me or post a pic? I can make up a brace for you with a 5" side plate that should clear your exhaust with ease.

My youngest Son has the firewall cracks too. I have an idea that I want to try on our cars first.

I PROMISE that when I develop an idea we will test it on our cars first.

Then when we are happy...........will offer the brace/part to members on SCCoA.

Does your car have headers?

Last edited:
Brace

Knowing you have headers, will help in setting up an X type brace support for the K member/etc.

I have an idea in my head closer to an H or a ladder.

This way I can tie the K member front to rear and side to side.

It will also allow me to tie this in at six locations rather than just four.

It will allow me to use one or two cross members to add more strength.

We're still developing our rear shock mount/trunk/fender well brace too.

I cut two 5" plates if you wanted a rear brace to clear your duals.

Right now I have four braces ready to go and pieces to build another three.

Braces

I got a p.m. from TCCoA about the braces.

There is NO drilling and NO welding required.

The braces use the two 1/2" holes in the rear suspension member that are already there.

Last edited:
Braces

The development of the shock brace contiunes.

I am leaning towards a design that is simple and effective.

However...it would require drilling two holes in your car.

I want to avoid costly welding to install them, or drilling excessive holes as well.

Back