Supercharging 3.8 N/A

Lookin4aLinc

Hey Guys Im new on this Forum. I have a 95 T-bird LX 3.8L N/A. I emailed the guy, and said he will sell this supercharger too me for 100 bucks if I pick it up asap. It doesnt come with the belts or anything. Do you guys think its cheap? Should I go for it? Or not? And is it possible for a regular 3.8 N/A motor to handle a this blower without the engine blowing up itself. Ive been told yes, and no, since you guys are T-bird guys you must know!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1855949478

Last edited:
You see the part where it says "will fit anything you really want it to..." what that means is it would be pretty hard to fit it on anything other than the car it came off of. First off, you would need the intake manifold, an intercooler and tubing, the belts and i think the tensioner and pulley configuration is different on n/a 3.8s. Second, your compression (3.8 n/a) is different from that of a SC 3.8. Ours is made lower (8.2:1 or 8.6:1) so we can handle the boost. Plus our pistons are hypernutectic (sp?) and other internals are a bit stronger so the engines can handle it. In other words, it wont be a simple swap and just cuz u can get a blower for 100 bucks, doesn't mean that the swap/installation into another "similar" engine will be as simple.

Al

Here is the problems...

Not only the information mentioned by AL would probably discourage you but like he said the compression on a N/A 3.8 is around 9.5. Combine that with 12PSI boost without any proper computer tuning etc. and you're asking for trouble.

IF you wanted to go through the bolt on nightmare, I would suggest you get a custom supercharger pulley machined that is LARGER diameter. This way it will turn the supercharger SLOWER and therefore limit boost to about half that figure. It'll increase HP but not to the levels of the Super coupe. When your efforts would be all done, I would only expect you to be making around 180hp with proper tuning of course.

For the effort that you would be going through, you should either consider a complete supercoupe engine swap, a N/A build up on the stock 3.8L or just buy a complete supercoupe. There is really no easy answer and certainly no real "easy and cheap" HP with these engines no matter what route you decide to take.

Thanks guys! Is there anything I can do? Like a MAF screen removal? Where is it and how I do it? Anything cheap? Like spark plugs and wires? Anything just to beat these little hondas! I hate my 3.8 :(

Hey Lookin4aLinc

Go to GTBIRD.com or TCCoA.com or any other site that focus's more on the N/A V6 and N/A V8 T-Birds. You should be able to find some decent info on buliding up your HP a bit. I don't know how worth while it would be for you to do it on a 3.8 but there are a handfull of guys that do. You will probably pick up quite a few pointers and save yourself some $$$ though! SC ya

-Steve:cool:

Chip it, get a CAI kit, open up the exhaust, shift kit, and if you really want to beat ricers, a 50 shot of nitrous :D

Al

Try also super6motorsport.com I think it's called. He specializes in putting Vortec blowers on 3.8L Mustangs. It doesn't stress the crank like a Roots blower does and is much easier to configure and install.

Consider....

Consider the Stock exhaust manifolds of a 96-97 Tbird N/A 3.8.

For 96-97, Ford used a Tubular Steel exhaust manifold that flowed better than the Cast Iron manifolds used in previous years. I know for 96-97 the Tbird 3.8L had a SAE Net HP rating of 145hp vs. 140hp from previous years.

They should be cheap from a wreaker 96-97 bird and should "bolt" up to your heads.

Like Al said, Consider doing a custom Cold Air Induction system. (Get some PVC pipe and a K+N cone filter). And build one cheap. That would be good for a few HP.

Also, check to make sure Bolt patterns are the same, but a bigger Throttle body would help with that Cold Air intake. Not sure how the N/A responds to spark plugs. We've discovered that the stock platinum spark plugs work the best and last the longest without misfiring. Others have also had good results with the iridium plugs, but that isn't going to "increase" hp. Just stabilize combustion.

Roller Rockers from the 351w that supercoupers uses will also work on the N/A 3.8. If you don't mind turning some wrenches and lifting the valve covers, you could do it yourself and free up some HP in the engine by reducing internal friction. Underdrive pullies would also help too. I beleive that the ones for the SC would work on the N/A as well.

Hi. I have a Ford Mustang V6 and I installed a eaton supercharger on it with out any mods. Like AL said my pisotns blowed out (melted). So I changed my pistons for a 0.030" over Ross forged 8.5:1 C/R pistons. I worked my heads (ported and polished) and machine .020". So If you are thinking to install a supercharger on your car, please buy forged pistons and moly rings first. Also work your car exhaust and verifies you have 30lph or over injectors. That is all I can say about my experience.

I would be interested to see if your crankshaft holds out. Hey, I've been to Guanacaste, Costa Rica before. I actually stayed at a beach front hotel in Puntarenas (I think I spelled that right) over a weekend while on a business trip. Interesting black sand beach.

Hi Mike. By now thw crankshaft is ok. I am using SC pullies and brackets. I compare the crank from SC with mine and it is not looks so diferent. But anyway I am going to describe all the stuff I have so you can help me If I am wrong. I have .216, .226 camshaft, 30lph injectors and MAFS calibrated for them (73mm C&L), fuel regulator at 50-55 psi, forged 8.5:1 C/R Ross racing pistons, Total Seal rings, K&N air filter, Eaton M90 supercharged witn 5% underdrive pulley, dual exhaust with just two at of four cats, 3.73 rear end, diablo sport chip, 1.890 intake valve and 1..710 exhaust valve (some like that i do not remember well), ported and polish heads, polish lower intake and superchager inlets, supercoupe head gaskets and a SC 65mm TB. Right now I am making (machine shop) a superchager underdrive pulley (2.5" diameter) to use just in 1/4 mile race. By the way, Puntarenas is another province (or state) that is locate next toi Guanacaste. Both boder with tha Pacific Ocean. But Guanacaste is nicer than Puntarenas and we have better beaches. If you are planning to come here you can email me at jorgehernan_1999@yahoo.com .
Gracias
Jorge:cool:

Back