E85 and High Boost

392Bird

have been trying to decide on which way to go with my Bird. I am running a 393 with a Vortech YSi at 15 psi now. It does great on 93 octane by pulling a lot of timing as the boost goes up. The YSi is extreamly good at making boost with out excessive heat (95 % of the NMRA Renegade cars run it because there rules do not allow any type of cooler). I want to up the boost, and be able to drive it on the street in the Summer, so needed to add meth, or a big cooler, or both, or look at E85 closley.

My Bird is a weekend play car, and we have several E85 stations in Tn, so I am going with E85. Here is some information I have put together.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/e85.htm

Read it all, and watch the vidio with Dale Banks and Jay Lenno at the bottom.

If I was fuel injected, I would get a flip chip to be able to use either. Since I am carbed, I am completly converting to E85.

Interesting. There are a few E85 gas stations around the Knoxville area and with my setup it may be the way to go if there are no ill effects on the fuel system due to corrosion.

Mike

You'll have to get a e85 carb or mod yours to flow enough fuel since you need to dump a good deal more e85 in the motor than standard gas.You would definetly be able to run more boost/timing with the e85 plus the engine should run a little cooler also.Might need to upgrade you're fuel pump also depending on it's size.

Jay

I got a station about 10 miles from me, that is almost tempting.

Whats the deal with people saying that it is corrosive though?

Well, I drained the gas out of the car yesterday, poured in 4 gals of E85, and hit the pump to leak test and check the float level. No leak, and float level is close enough for now. This morning I fired it up, and drove it to the local Shell that sells E85, and filled it and a extra 5 gal container. I have not touched the carb since converting it, and reinstalling, and the car fired right up, and drove fine. I noticed on the wide band the right bank is a little leaner than the left, but fine for now.

I pulled into the station, and they have the E85 and the diesel on a seperate ile, so I pulled up and filled the cell and 5 gal container. Before I could leave, 5 guys had walked up and asked me about the E85. 4 of them were local racers, :)

I have the SC disconnected for now, and running on only the primaries till I am sure they are jetted correctly, and the power valve circuit is close, then will connect the rears and get them in the ball park, then check it with boost. My wife says the garage does not stink like gas now, and smells more like a bar. Has a slight margareta sent. :)

I located a local source for E98, and will get some of that to bring my Winter blend of E85 up to Summer specs, then do the final settings.

I added a E85 Carb section:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/carbtech.htm

You know, I've always liked your car. Ever since I seen the side exit exhaust I've made random searches to see the updates and I'm impressed on how far you've come.

It's good to hear it fired right up, and glad you didn't run into any problems. Can't wait to see the car pushed to it's limit though.

Back