Ford Am/Fm/CD No Sound

matt59

I just got a Am/Fm/CD unit. I have the JBL system in my 92 SC, this is a later model Stereo, It plugs in and lights up but there is no sound at all!
I put the old stereo in and it has sound.
what could the problem be?

Thanks...

Last edited:
did both connectors plug directly in? were you going from and aftermarket stereo to a "factory" unit? if so then the jbl amplifyer(s) in the trunk were most likely bypassed. you can check the wiring for the amps on the plastic rack under the rear window in the trunk. they should be right next to the ARC system controller and sub (if equipped). check to see if an amp bypass harness was used. By later model i can assume it was the optional single cd unit offered in 94-95's?

The car's JBL system is OEM, no modifications and everything is pluged in. The Single CD is Dated 1995.

next i would try fuses, and if they are all good i would test the head unit to make sure it works, other than that i have no idea, i did the same thing with my 93, i put a 94 crown vic unit in it and it worked pewrfectly normal with my 93 equipment. the cd player is from a jbl system correct? if the unit didn't come from a jbl or premium sound system it wont work.

The Fuse is good, the power comes on. I know the units are compatable but this unit has the CD in it - No external CD Player.

Did you use the little jumper plug in the upper right corner of the back of the newer Premium Sound CD player? It plugs in where the CD player harness would plug in to the old JBL radio.

You may need to look at the pinout of each radio harness connector to make sure that all of the wires correspond to each other in each vehicle. I am not sure that they were all the same.

I think that the 35th Thunderbird Registry has some info about this. I think there was one wire that needed to be swapped to use some of the later radios. If you find a solution, can you please post it? I may go this route.

I do believe you are correct! I put the unit in my wife 94 Explorer and it worked:D. I'm looking for the 35th Anniversary web sight to confirm this.

Thanks,

Matt

If you tell me what vehicle the radio came out of and what it is going into I can look the harness up for you.

If you tell me what vehicle the radio came out of and what it is going into I can look the harness up for you.

I got the stereo from a 1996 Thunderbird, it is dated 1995.
It's going into a 1993 Thunderbird w/Jbl sound.

I got the stereo from a 1996 Thunderbird, it is dated 1995.
It's going into a 1993 Thunderbird w/Jbl sound.

I did not think this could work, the 94-97 radios have to stay with that year.
and 89-93 stays with those. I think the pins on the harness are different.
Also think you have to match a JBL radio with a JBL system.

Switching the harness pins is possible, although I have not mastered it myself.

Also, I know that at least for 89-93, the Premium Sound head unit is the same as the JBL head unit. The change to the JBL includes the CD player, subwoofer amp, and different speakers.

Back