Oil Cooler Bypass

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
I am currently rebuilding my 95 SC and was wondering about removing the oil cooler bypass thingy. No car of mine has ever had one on it before and I was wondering if this would cause any ill effects? Would make running new heater hoses much easier.

Any ideas?

Smitty

Hey Smitty!!!

I think you probably should leave it on there especially since your car is daily driver, I am sure the Ford engineers put it there for good reason.

I still have mine on there and plan to keep it.

Good question!

Is it really an "oil cooler", or a "oil warmer".......:rolleyes:

I have heard it is both depending on the weather conditions outside when you are driving it.

But my question is, does it really matter. I have other High HP Vehicles and none of them have ever had oil "Coolers" /Warmers", so why this vehicle.

But I really want to know if it will hurt anything, becuase this thing is so ugly and corroded, I hate to put it back on, and I think I have those hose leaking anyway.

Smitty

Normally I would agree

Hey Smitty!!!

I think you probably should leave it on there especially since your car is daily driver, I am sure the Ford engineers put it there for good reason.

I still have mine on there and plan to keep it.

I would normally leave well enough alone, but I have a hard time believing there will be any ill effects from removing it.

Has anyone actually removed it on a rebuild or using something else? Sure would make running the heater hoses easier wouldn't it!

But I really want to know if it will hurt anything, becuase this thing is so ugly and corroded, I hate to put it back on, and I think I have those hose leaking anyway.

Smitty

So clean the rust off and paint the thing Like I did. One thing is for sure, your not hurting anything by leaving it there. If you gotta ask the question, then you better just leave it on in this situation.

Ford mass produced these cars and I'm sure they didn't waste money putting thousands of these coolers on the things for nothing. More angles to this car have been tested and modified by the engineers then you will ever want to think about. Think about this piece of information and how simple of an add a cooler is on an SC.

Last edited:
Oil doesn't normally see 180* depending on the oil used, unless you are eating bearings up. I've never run an oil cooler on anything I have owned, even with filled block motors. Whether it be driving around for a half an hour or going down the track, never had any oil temperatures exceed 180*.

Most people here are running thick oils, too. If you run a synthetic, even more of a reason that you do not need the cooler.

It does depend on the weather conditions. If it's hot in the summer, it's an oil heater, if it's cold outside, the coolant actually sees a temperature below oil temperature and will cool the oil off. Either or, it's refutable and only there for insurance reasons.

Mine's coming off for those reasons.

You cant be serious, have you personally ever actually measured the temp of your oil during a cruise.

You cant tell me that the oil dripping back into the pan fresh from the heads is at or under operating temperature especially at high rev's. Your oil coolers rusty, so what..... Sand, prime it, reinstall it.

Oil doesn't normally see 180* depending on the oil used, unless you are eating bearings up. I've never run an oil cooler on anything I have owned, even with filled block motors. Whether it be driving around for a half an hour or going down the track, never had any oil temperatures exceed 180*.

Most people here are running thick oils, too. If you run a synthetic, even more of a reason that you do not need the cooler.

It does depend on the weather conditions. If it's hot in the summer, it's an oil heater, if it's cold outside, the coolant actually sees a temperature below oil temperature and will cool the oil off. Either or, it's refutable and only there for insurance reasons.

Mine's coming off for those reasons.

I think you have it backwards. If its hot in the summer, and if your coolant system is running right, it will cool the oil down. If its winter and very cold out, it has the advantage of bringing the oil temp up quicker and keeping it there.

I would say maintaining the oil temperature more consistent is better for the motor anyway, and considering how hot our motors run....

Back