What does a stock oil press gauge look for ?

THE BIRDMAN

I was thinking of putting in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and was wondering what I need to do to make the stock gauge happy.Can I ground the stock wire that goes to the stock sending unit?Or run a positive lead to it?I just want to make it where the stock gauge reads a normal pressure and doesn't throw the check engine light.Anyone know how I can do that?

Jay

Since the original sending unit is an on/off switch it sends 12 volts to the gauge whenever there is sufficient oil pressure. When it drops below a threshhold (I don't know the actual number) it stops sending 12 volts. So I would think that you should be able to hook the gauge straight to 12 volts and it will keep the needle all the way to the right.

i have taken the resistor out of the wire coming from the sensor until the aftermarket sensor goes in.

whenever the engine's running it pegs to the right. so what tinman said is right.

i guess if it doesnt peg right while the engine's running, then i have to start worrying. ;)

And, the in-line resistor drops the reading to about halfway???

yup, which is better because that way you won't fry the coil in the stock gauge because it won't be receiving full power all the time.

For now I have an aftermarket installed, but I set up a T where the sender units go so both the aftermarket and the stock gauge sensor are installed.

Attaching the sender wire to ground causes the gauge to read the highest oil pressure.

David

I grounded the OEM line to the oil sender when I put in the Autometer sender and gauge- attached it to the nearest water pump nut.

With the OEM oil pressure wire grounded, the OEM gauge looks as if it's working.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

For now I have an aftermarket installed, but I set up a T where the sender units go so both the aftermarket and the stock gauge sensor are installed.

Do you have a pic? How did you fit both in that little a** space?

Thanks for the infom everyone Dave so I can ground it and be good to go?

Thanks Jay

so who has an aftermarket sender with the stock gauge ?

and do u like it ?

Im using a factory Ford oil pressure sending unit which is variable - you just need to bypass the resistor in the gauge cluster or inline with the wiring harness depending on the year.

Nothing special, you can watch the oil pressure fluctuate with engine RPM, etc .. better than the factory on/off style sending unit.

- Dan

I actually ran the car that way for awhile, but I was more curious as to what my actual pressure was so I returned the factory gauge to stock and installed an aftermarket. I'm going back to that setup now and removing the aftermarket because I know the oil pressure my car makes so I can get rid of the APillor gauge pod. I'm going to set things up so I can hook the aftermarket gauge up at anytime and check things.

Same thing for the temp gauge for me.

Jay
This is what I did so I could have stock and aftermarket.
It is tight but mine has been like this about four years. No problem. I did mine when I was changing the engine, but you can do in place by removing stuff.
It does clear everything.
Might give you some ideas.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24214&d=1167580364

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24215&d=1167580364

Later
dbd

Thanks that helps out alot.Did you get the fittings from the local auto parts store?What's there like 3 diffirent fittings put together?

Jay

Jay
I picked the fittings up at various auto stores. Home Depot & Lowes has a fair selection also. There are 6 or 7 fittings. They are all common brass fittings. The hardest to find is the tee. It is mpt on one end and fpt on the other two ends. It looks like a lot, but it really kept everything compact. The first fitting coming from the block is just a small extension to get out far enough. It is mpt to fpt same size both ends if I remember correctly. The white stuff you see is a liquid teflon. Usually used on hydraulic system, but works well here because of its resistance to heat and vibrations.

Here ia a couple more pics

Later dbd

Attachments

• PICT0018 (Large).JPG
    PICT0018 (Large).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 93
  • PICT0015 (Large).JPG
    PICT0015 (Large).JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the added pics I can see the set up alot better in those.I think I might set it up the same way you did.

Jay

Back