Coolant in Intake tubing

95_XR7

I've searched and didn't come up with anything pertaining to this.
But tonight while getting ready to take the car to search for a nice exhaust leak that popped up, I checked all the fluids and I noticed the coolant was low. I decided to fill it up, drive it a few miles and see if I could find where it was leaking. When I got to my brother's shop (can't beat a heated shop with a lift.) I hadn't lost any coolant. I decided to take off the intake tract and clean the filter. and noticed the whole inside of my CAI is coated with oil, and coolant.

The car is definitely not burning the coolant, and there is no white smoke at all. So how could coolant get into the intake tubing?

Btw, the leaking antifreeze was at the upper radiator hose.

I've searched and didn't come up with anything pertaining to this.
But tonight while getting ready to take the car to search for a nice exhaust leak that popped up, I checked all the fluids and I noticed the coolant was low. I decided to fill it up, drive it a few miles and see if I could find where it was leaking. When I got to my brother's shop (can't beat a heated shop with a lift.) I hadn't lost any coolant. I decided to take off the intake tract and clean the filter. and noticed the whole inside of my CAI is coated with oil, and coolant.

The car is definitely not burning the coolant, and there is no white smoke at all. So how could coolant get into the intake tubing?

Btw, the leaking antifreeze was at the upper radiator hose.

If the PCV valve is not functioning correctly, the PCV breather on the driver's side rocker cover will allow oily mist to enter the intake tube, from the hose that connects to CIA tube from the breather. Don't know how coolant got in there unless there is an internal leak on your motor and it came through the same breather hose the oil did.

David

If the PCV valve is not functioning correctly, the PCV breather on the driver's side rocker cover will allow oily mist to enter the intake tube, from the hose that connects to CIA tube from the breather. Don't know how coolant got in there unless there is an internal leak on your motor and it came through the same breather hose the oil did.

David

I appreciate the reply Dave. I decided to order a PCV through Ford, but they won't get it till possibly Monday. The weird thing about the coolant is that I just changed the oil the other day. Haven't even put 50 miles on the oil.

When I changed it, I did not notice any coolant, and it didn't smell like fuel. But when I get home, I still have the drain pan out there. I'm gonna check it again just to make sure.

Btw, I know it was coolant because as soon as I took apart the tubing, green liquid kinda came out, and it smelled exactly like antifreeze.

--------------------------------------

I checked the old oil just a few minutes ago, and it is completely free of antifreeze. Oil is fine now, completely topped off, same as coolant leak.
Now, anyone have any ideaS?

Last edited:
its only a breather on the driver side valve cover, not a real pcv. unless mines wrong.

i dont know if a real pcv will solve your problem.

but this has got to be the wierdest thing i've ever heard of.

Upper radiator hose leak and CAI filter very close together. You do the math, one is leaking and one is sucking.

You could have a leak from the intake manifold (common problem) into the cam valley and some of that is getting sucked up into the valve covers and through the breather tube from the drivers side into the CAI?

Just replacing the PCV valve may stop it, but I'd still be very concerned as to where that coolant is coming from... don't mask the problem, find it and fix it.

Upper radiator hose leak and CAI filter very close together. You do the math, one is leaking and one is sucking.

While that sounds good, you can see where it was leaking down the side of the radiator.

You could have a leak from the intake manifold (common problem) into the cam valley and some of that is getting sucked up into the valve covers and through the breather tube from the drivers side into the CAI?

Just replacing the PCV valve may stop it, but I'd still be very concerned as to where that coolant is coming from... don't mask the problem, find it and fix it.

This is the oddest thing. I went outt here tonight. As I ended up taking the SC today, even in the 20* weather. :(
Put about 70miles on it, and nothing but a slight oil mist in the intake tube. Not even really enough oil to worry about, but I do know I'm getting a blowby filter. Strangest thing I've seen yet. I'll drive it the next few days and keep close watch on it. See if I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Off topic, but found my exhaust leak. The flange where the manifold bolts to the downtubes is busted somehow. :(

If there is coolant getting into the intake, you might also want to check the throttle body itself. There are coolant lines that run through it.

re:

i had the same problem but minor way back in the day, turned out to by my overflow line from the overflow tank, to the pressure cap had a small tear in it. and wasn't clamped properly

Back