where can i find these differential clutch pack shims?

91supacoop

Shorter story: Does anyone know where i can order/buy the differential clutch pack shims shown in the diagram below? I need them .025

Longer story: OK, so i pulled apart my diff, to do a full rebuild, and install 3.55 gears. I am doing the alternate stacking method for the clutch packs. the differential clutch pack shims (shown in the diagram below) that were in the differential case were too thick fo use with the alternate stacking method. In fact, even when i tried the normal stacking method, the shims were still too thick. I put them on a table grinder and tried to grind them down , but they got hot and warped, so i ruined them (the edges were brought down to about .009 and the centers are still at .033. I need two shims @ .025, does anyone know where i can order them?

I went to a few local auto parts stores, and even the ford dealership. No one seems to carry them.

Attachments

• TracLocExploded.jpg
    TracLocExploded.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,459
Yiou will never need them with the alternate stacking method. I am sure I have some around.
Alan

I have it set up F-S-F-S-F-S-F. Each stack is .020 taller than the normal stacking method. The total height of the shims that were in the two stacks was .100. They had a .045 in one side, and .055 on the other

I read a few threads that said there was no need for any shims with the alternate stacking method, but when I assembled without shims there was too much backlash in the spider gears.

I stuffed some shim stock into the stacks, and .025 on both sides appears to be the appropriate thickness. (it may have been slightly too much, as there was zero backlash)

If you have (2).025 laying around, or (1).025 and (1).020, or even (2).020 that would be awesome.

Sorry i didn't see your reply, shuld have om'd me I have a bunch of the shims. I'd venture to say your carrier is getting a little worn out. I have seen that before.
Alan

it's no problem, it was kinda fun making them. I wonder how the carrier gets worn out. The outermost plate in either stacking method is a friction plate which is captured in the carrier so it should never abrade it. Perplexing......

This is my first rearend, so i'm taking my time with it, and making sure i do everything right. Any pointers?

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes.

They wear a little in the sidegear area usually. I have juinked quite a few for it. If you got it stacked ok you should be fine.
Alan

ahhh, that makes perfect sense. I need to pick your brain now though.

You'll have to bear with me as i don't necessarily know all the correct terms for the different bearings and stuff...

To set the pinion depth, i need to add shims between the head of the pinion gear and the bearing that goes right there. Does this mean that as i adjust the pinion depth i need to pull that bearing off after every single adjustment??

Also, how much torque do i apply to get the proper pinion bearing preload?

Unfortunately that is exactly what it means. A good bearing that has been honed out so it doesn't need to be pressed on is a helpful tool there.
The preload is 16-20 inch lbs.
Alan

I finished!! woohoo. It wasn't as hard as people make it out to be. Time consuming, but with the right tools there isn't anything too difficult.

Thanks for your help.

Back