Ok - what's the deal with the cam sensor?

Bacondoggy

This is my only question. if the sensor is bad, will it affect your car at ALL times, or just having problems starting? I know there can be 2 issues - #1 MISALIGNED sensor, and #2 a BAD sensor. I know at least one of these will cause the car to not start some of the time until you keep cranking it. This is NOT the issue here. I have heard 2 things here, one being that this sensor only affects the car at startup, and the other is that the cam sensor will affect the car while its running, and can create missing, hesitation, etc. WHICH IS TRUE??

Thanks guys

There's a very good FAQ in the members section on how to do the alignment without using the alignment tool.

First, I am not a member, but I was curious if the cam sensor would create missing/misfire/hesitation. I know it could make the car not start, but this is not what I want to know. I know you can:

Have the cam sensor 180 degrees out of alignment

or

have a bad sensor

I am not talking about TACH or starting problems - only if under EITHER conditions, with the car starting every time (conditions being bad sensor or miss-aligned sensor) WHILE it is started if it will create problems while driving. So do I have to be a member to get the answer to this question?

All I know is I have heard both sides more then once that the cam sensor is ONLY used for startup, and then I heard "I fixed/replaced my cam sensor and my car ran alot better". Its one or the other. What is the deal here???

The cam sensor is a supplement to the crank sensor for quicker starting, it also times the injectors. The cam sensor can cause a long crank if its bad, but will not cause a no start, by itself. It can cause a CEL and/or poor fuel economy/rough running if its misalined (the injectors will not fire at the proper moment.

Back