Belt Dust.......

ecyrbh

Alright,new question.........Why am I getting so much belt dust all over everything in the front of the motor.I dont have but about 10 miles on the new motor,and it looks like 50k with all of the black dust.I dont have any belts slipping or squeeling.Every pulley appears to be lined up correctly,All of the belts are in the center of the pullies,whats up with this,is this common??

You have the common supercharger belt slip. You can either clock the tensioner or replace it. I used a larger idler pully once and the fixed it. Do a search for belt tensioners.

Changing to a larger Dayco 89016 76MM pulley will help. The best would be to rebuild the tensioners with Magnum Powers springs.

I know you guys wont steer me wrong,but this engine has seen more idle time then anything,Be sure though,I've jabbed the throttle to hear the whine a few times but this dust seems excessive.All my pullies are stock except for the crank(which is a stock size aluminum one).I do plan on swapping out the blower pulley after some more break-in time.I bought the power pulley from Vic @ SpinningWheels that came with another belt.If I use the Dayco 89016with this pulley,will I still need to play with belt size or adapt the tensioner some how?

Changing to a larger Dayco 89016 76MM pulley will help. The best would be to rebuild the tensioners with Magnum Powers springs.

Will doing both work? I'm in the process of installing my MP springs now, and looking for steel idler pulleys to get rid of the worn out stockers.

If I use the Dayco 89016with this pulley,will I still need to play with belt size or adapt the tensioner some how?

No, you will not. The stock 39.3" belt will be harder to get on, tightening it up some.

Will doing both work? I'm in the process of installing my MP springs now, and looking for steel idler pulleys to get rid of the worn out stockers.

Yes, they will both work. That is the tensioner setup I am running now. The Dayco 89016 pulley can be used on all 3 tensioners as a replacement for the stockers.

Thanks for the help again,guys.........I'm going to check things out a little farther as far as pulley alignment goes.A mechanic friend of mine has a Gates laser alignment tool that I can borrow to check it out with.More than likely it is belt slip.....

I had some belt walk and dust on mine, and checked every thing, and found the crank to idler was perfect, but the SC pulley was out from the others. You need to align every thing to the crank pulley. The straight edge must contact both sides of each pulley

pulleys-aok.jpg

Crank to Idler

pulleys1.jpg

Not aligned

pulley2.jpg

The Fix.

perfect.jpg

Since I trimed the SC pulley, I have 0 belt walk, and no sign of belt dust at 15 psi, even with white engine compartment.

Last edited:
Back