locked my self out...how do I open my hood from the outside?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
:eek:, locked my self out of the 95 and I dont have a key to the doors and I had the battery unplugged. I figured I could just pop open the trunk (for which I do have a key) and go in through the back, but I forgot this is the only car I have with no folding rear seats :mad:.

If I can open up the hood I can re-attach the battery and use the remote to open the doors. Any suggestions? thanks

Jack it up and try to get to the hood latch from underneath the car. Don't know if it can be done but its worth a shot.

Well, actually...and conveniently...the car is already elevanted in ramps. I was pissed off so I didnt really fiddle with it...just moved over to the 89 and I actually managed to get the heads back in there (Yay!:p).

Usea slim jim on the door to unlock it and be done with it. Or you could try one of the keys from one of your other cars to see if it will unlock the doors. If you pay me for fuel I will come up there and get it open for you;).

now's a time when having AAA pays off, that's one of the best $89 a year I've ever spent.......:D

If a friend has AAA have them come over and call and they'll come out and unlock it.

didnt try the other key idea, but i'll keep that in mind. Also AAA...I have AAA but I typically only use them for towing.

In any case, I ended up unbolting the latch from the rad support. You can do that from the front bumper, and that let the hood pop up just enough so I could plug the battery back and use the remote. Thanks for the help!

What about feeding 12V from a battery charger through the cigarette lighter? Shoudn't that give the electrical system a chance to operate for a few seconds? That short amount of time will probably not harm the wiring in that circuit.

Isnt this the second time youve posted about locking yourself out ??

I think now is the time to add an external backup electrical wire to your solenoid, or a manual release cable.

- Dan

What about feeding 12V from a battery charger through the cigarette lighter? Shoudn't that give the electrical system a chance to operate for a few seconds? That short amount of time will probably not harm the wiring in that circuit.

Yep, just plug right into that cigarette lighter, unlock the power locks and bam, you're in.
Now if I can remember where the external cigarette lighter option was located :eek:

:DBwahahaha second time around wow.... Sorry just do what i did Break the window like your trying to steel it and watch a somone call the cops and ask why your trying to steal a car you own LOL:D

for me, yeah...actually way more...but on the 35th i've kinda mastered how to open it up!! :) I just got so used to the remote or the keyless entry pad. The last few cars I've bought dont have them so...:rolleyes:. Live and learn.

oh ya...and this wont be my last im sure

Yep, just plug right into that cigarette lighter, unlock the power locks and bam, you're in.
Now if I can remember where the external cigarette lighter option was located :eek:

If you can get to the cigarette lighter then you can just open the door no need to unlock it. If the door is locked you can still open the door from the inside

If you can get to the cigarette lighter then you can just open the door no need to unlock it. If the door is locked you can still open the door from the inside

That's my point exactly... I was only commenting on the quote in my post.

Sorry, my brains fell out of my ear for a moment.

LOL when i read it i thought for sure that you were kidding. You definitely should have just played it off as a joke...

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

LOL when i read it i thought for sure that you were kidding. You definitely should have just played it off as a joke...

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Umm...okay a simple "wrong" would have done just fine, buuuttt.......

I thought it would be impossible to lock myself out of my car with the keys attached to a remote - UNTIL I locked the remote WITH the keys in the trunk today. Fortunately all it took was a ride home to get the spare remote -which Discount Tire generously provided.

Not Breaking and Entering

For next time. Carefully work a wooden block (Like a doorstop) to slighyly pry the window away from the door seal then get yourself some banding material (The kind that holds stuff to pallets) work a loop through the window and around the inside door handel and pull. The angel isn't good so you have to pull hard but it will open. (pulling the inside door handel will unlick the door)

For next time. Carefully work a wooden block (Like a doorstop) to slighyly pry the window away from the door seal then get yourself some banding material (The kind that holds stuff to pallets) work a loop through the window and around the inside door handel and pull. The angel isn't good so you have to pull hard but it will open. (pulling the inside door handel will unlick the door)

That won't work on an MN12. The window rides in a glass run; it can't be pryed away from the run. You might be able to wedge the door away from the roof or "B" post, but be prepared for damaged paint or weatherstriping. Honestly, you're better off to just break the door glass. Cover it with duct tape and use a spring-loaded center punch to pop the window. It will fall out in your hands without covering the car in glass shards. You can pick up a replacement for about $20 at the Pick-n-Pull. Not ideal, but better than paint damage. At any rate, the BEST plan is to spend a couple of bucks at Wal Mart for a duplicate key.

JD

Back