cam synchronizer part ?

quicktsi

I have tried 4 brand new Borg Warner cam position sensors and still having the same problem. I am swapping the latest Borg Warner for a brand new Ford cam position sensor.

If this does not help I am tempted to try a new cam syncronizer. I am having trouble finding the part # for cam syncronizer. My local parts store did not have a part # either.

The problem I am having is my tach drops out and flags the CEL randomly, and then just randomly starts working again. I have already regreased the DIS with silver stuff. When the tach drops, the car does not run rough. It does have trouble starting from time to time.

A1-Cardone does show a part # for the syncro assy.When I was working at an auto parts chain,I bought one and to my amazment it was a totally new unit in a reman box.If I remember correctly it was listed as a distributor but was definately a syncro....:D:D

The cam syncronizer is strictly mechanical. If it was no good, you would not have any oil pressure as it is what drives the oil pump. Maybe you have a gauge or wiring issue. I have seen several tachs go bad.

Have you ever remove the cam sensor bracket? You would know it as that part is held to the timing chain cover with a special tamper-proof torx head bolt. It is not possible to change the cam sensor alignment without having loosened that bolt.. which you would definitely remember.

That being the case, the synchronizer tool wouldn't do anything for you as the 1/2 moon cup is already in the correct location.

You should try driving it around for a week with the cam sensor unplugged to see if its really the cause of your problems. Please do a search on "unplug cam sensor" for further details.

When I had the problem that you describe, it turned out to be my DIS. I swapped it out for a different one (not new) and it fixed it up.. no drop out anymore. I labelled the old one as "working. bad tach" and the date and threw it in the trunk just in case.

Last edited:
I do have a spare DIS and will try driving with sensor unplugged for a couple of days. I had seen that part but since it said crank angle sensor and not cam sensor, I was not suere even thought the image looked right.

Back