Xr7 wont crank or start

V8LTD

Ok im cheating the system here. Its a 97 XR7 V8, the section said xr7 and sc questions only, it didnt say no V8 questions.

So the car wont crank. You turn the key and noting happens. Car sta for one week and this happened. starter, battery, both good. Tried shifting gears with through the automatic in case neutral safety might be bad but nothing. Is there any common problem like this with the 97 v8 cougars/t-birds? Any ideas whats the prob. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I did but no help. I checked every fuse too. Is there a relay that would do this? what else?

soleniod in fenderwall maybe, try wiggling little wire on the slave soleniod, or jumping the 2 terminals to see if it engages the starter and if no go you starter may be fried...:(

My mother in law had a 95 tbird, V8 as well, that did this. It was the neutral safety switch. On these cars its a Range selector. If its out, the computer wont know to start and other weird things. Have you tried turning the key to on, then jumping the solinoid? Also, are you getting power through the car? Lights work along with the other things? Basically, got any more info?

Well there is no solinoid on the fire wall because its on the starter for the 4.6 V8, But the starter has been changed twice. So the battery is charged, everything works fuel pump comes on, headlights, radio everything eletrical works. But when you go to start the car nothing happens, Sure the fuel pump goes on but no tring to start, no ticking from the solinoid or any starter action.

The starter has 3 wires if i remember right: one ground thats good and tight one constant power thats got power, and one power that only has power when key is turned, which doesnt have power for me. Would the neutral safety switch do this? Or is it a fuuable link or relay.

My sisters 01 cougar with the 2.5 V6 had this problem and it was the starter relay but I could find a starter relay on this car, I only found a horn relay. I tried moving the selector while starting but nothing happened. Any way to jump the neutral safety wires so the car thinks its in park ? If not i'll try replacing that first.

try and jump the 2 posiive posts on the starter wih the key on and se if you can get to start, thats what id do,...in fact ive gotten bad starters outa the box

I have changed the starter 2 times. I did the positive post jump but oddy enough the starter cranked but the gear didnt jump out to turn the flywheel. Anything else? what about the other wire on the starter that should have 12 v's when key is on. What if you dont have 12 volts, what can be the prob?

well, Im no master but I do have a couple of suggestions. If you have the headlights on and you turn the key, do they dim? If so, your problem is probably not in the key ignition there. If its auto, there is a possibillty that its not fully alligning into the park position. Try turning the key, like your trying to start and hold the shift button in and wiggle the shifter around a bit. How do you know the starter is ok? The wires could not be contacting properly and iv had brand new starters last a couple of weeks and then just go. Hope something here helps!!

Battery is fully charged. And where is the ignition switch in the v8? Does the 4.6 V8 have a fuseable link or relay that would cause this? Thanks guys for the input somethings gotta work.

Here's the starting circuit diagram. Do you have the factory installed anti-theft?

Attachments

• Starting circuit 97 V8.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 60
If you jump the starter and it turned but the gear did not pop out to turn the flywheel, the starter is pooched. Had to replace mine on my 3.8 LX for the same reason.

i know late reaction here but I wanted to let the searchers know that it was the igition mod under the steering wheel that was bad.

Back