Universal Hurst T-handle

Ben999_

I just got a Hurst t-handle shifter from ebay. From what I've read the shifter thread is the same as a mustang, 12mm x 1.75. Now when I put in the B&M shifter yesterday I noticed in the instruction sheet that it says the thread is 12mm x 1.25 (See second page - http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/50.pdf). I know it should be the mustang thread but my problem is that the adapter for both the mustang thread and the 12mm x 1.25 do not thread into my shifter handle. I don't want to force it on there, because I don't know if I'll be able to get the stock knob back on. Has anyone else had a problem using the Hurst handle? It's this one - http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_953676_-1

I don't want to force it on there, because I don't know if I'll be able to get the stock knob back on. Has anyone else had a problem using the Hurst handle? It's this one

I got mine to start and it would stop after a turn and a half or so. I did force it and it ate the thread right out of the thing making it a great paper weight. I only paid three dollars for mine so I did not feel bad about it. I tried to tap it but the metal was so soft it did not do so well with that either.

Shifter

I didn't like the metric thread on my B&M Ripper............................so?

I cut off the threaded portion from the upper piece.

I drilled the base out after removing the rubber isolator.

I then cut the head off a 3/8" bolt standard thread bolt, welded it in place.

I now have a nice white Hurst five speed shift ball on my car.

I don't think I want to go through all that trouble for a shift knob. I just want this stupid thing to fit like it's supposed to. The mustang thread is definitely the correct thread, right? I'm afraid that if I buy a mustang knob that it won't fit either.

The stock knob fits on just fine. The ripper uses the stock upper shift lever so the threads are unchanged. My problem is with the Hurst T-handle shift knob and just a general thread size confusion.

That's probably what i will end up buying since there aren't a ton of choices that actually look good.

Back