Hoosier QTP DOTs or full slick ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Which Hoosier 28" tire do you guys think would work best for use on both of my SCs ?

#18153 28.0/10./16 full slick 10.0 tread 12.0 section width

#17603 28.0/11.5/16 Quick Time Pro DOT slick 10.0 tread 11.8 section width

Both tires are reccomended for use on an 8"-10" wheel and I'm planning to mount them on a stock 7" SC wheel. I'm leaning towards the QTP DOTS because I think they have a softer compound than the full slick.

Here is the spec page listing all the sizes they offer.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/speccat.pdf

David

i agree with the full slick. it will be a softer tire. and i really dont think that they will work that well on a 7" rim. ive got a 10" tire on an 8" rim and its a little wide for that.

David my only experience with the Hoosier QTP was on my Mustang and all I will say about them is they sucked! No traction on the street or track and you definately wouldn't want to get caught out in the rain. I would personaly suggest a good radial tire for the street be it a high quality street tire or drag radial and a real slick for the track. My own experience with drag radials on the street is regardless of brand do not last long enough on the street or work well enough on the track to be worthwhile. My SC went from a best of 1.84 60' on drag radials to a 1.64 60' on MT slicks with no other changes and while I know my car is realitively low powered compared to yours, I believe you will see similar results.

Charles

Last edited:
David my only experience with the Hoosier QTP was on my Mustang and all I will say about them is they sucked! No traction on the street or track and you definately wouldn't want to get caught out in the rain. I would personaly suggest a good radial tire for the street be it a high quality street tire or drag radial and a real slick for the track. My own experience with drag radials on the street is regardless of brand do not last long enough on the street or work well enough on the track to be worthwhile. My SC went from a best of 1.84 60' on drag radials to a 1.64 60' on MT slicks with no other changes and while I know my car is realitively low powered compared to yours, but I believe you will see similar results.

Charles

Charles,

I've got a set of M/T ET drag radials mounted on 17" Cobra Rs that I was using for street tires on the turbo car. They were getting shreaded and wearing out real fast, so I took them off to save the tires for racing on street tire night at the track or when I wasn't going to try to go any quicker than 11.50.

Instead of using up the drag radials I put on the 275/40/17 nitto street tires mounted on the same Cobra R wheels that were on my 91 before switching to the 18" Boyd Cottingtons. The street tires spin a lot easier than the drag radials did, but I'm not street racing so it doesn't really matter.

Since I've already got some drag radials, I probably should go with a full slick.

BTW...has anyone ever attempted to have a set of stock SC wheels widened ? I think there is enough room to go another inch wider (all inboard) without rubbing the rear suspension.

David

I'v thought about getting a set widened and would be majorly interested in if it could be done or not.

on my car with nitro dr's it went best of 2.1 something on MT ETDrags it went best of 1.9 something. This was when the car was stock.

Dave I'm sure you could have someone like stockton wheels widen you're rims but in the end I think it'b be cheaper to just buy a set of aftermarket wheels in the proper width and backspacing.

Jay

Dave I'm sure you could have someone like stockton wheels widen you're rims but in the end I think it'b be cheaper to just buy a set of aftermarket wheels in the proper width and backspacing.

Jay

Jay,

As far as I know...no such wheels exist. Of the ones that are avalible, I would have to switch to longer wheel studs to accomodate spacers or built up center sections in order to clear the disk brake caliper.

I know the stock SC wheels will work with these tires, but they would probably work better if the wheel was 1" wider. Since I'm not planning to use them until spring, I've got a little time to research getting them reworked.

Can anyone confirm that there is enough room to widen the barrel on the inboard side by 1" without having suspension clearance problems ?

David

{edit}

Called this place and they want $150 per wheel plus shipping cost to widen stock SC wheels 1" toward the rear of the wheel.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm

Last edited:
Which Hoosier 28" tire do you guys think would work best for use on both of my SCs ?

#17603 28.0/11.5/16 Quick Time Pro DOT slick 10.0 tread 11.8 section width

David

When I ran 9.989et at 135mph and 10.56et it was with these Hoosier darg slicks on 95LX tbird wheels they worked fine. I think you can get a good deal on a set from Summit Racing. Make sure you get the light weight tubes for them if your car is lowerd you may have to roll in the top inside finder lip. When the car launches off the line thats when it rubs it

Sounds like you getting ready to put that beast into the lower 10's? I would also get 95LX tbird wheels and get some light weight GoodYear or Hoosier front runners the wheels and tire are light

Jim,

I'm not clear on your answer...are you using the Quick Time Pro DOT slicks, or the non DOT Full Slick ?

David

PS: I'm not planning to use tubes.

Jay,

As far as I know...no such wheels exist. Of the ones that are avalible, I would have to switch to longer wheel studs to accomodate spacers or built up center sections in order to clear the disk brake caliper.

I know the stock SC wheels will work with these tires, but they would probably work better if the wheel was 1" wider. Since I'm not planning to use them until spring, I've got a little time to research getting them reworked.

Can anyone confirm that there is enough room to widen the barrel on the inboard side by 1" without having suspension clearance problems ?

David

{edit}

Called this place and they want $150 per wheel plus shipping cost to widen stock SC wheels 1" toward the rear of the wheel.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm

You mean like this? 18x8 down to 18x5 and 16x7.5 stang wheels to 16x9.
I also found some new wheels in summit 17" would clear cobra brakes and MT and Hoosier sell skinnys and slicks in 17".

Attachments

• wheelssmall.jpg
    wheelssmall.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,443
Oh yeah and I'll post a pick of the 16's with the 28x10x16 full hoosier slick for you after I mount one.

Attachments

• wheels2.jpg
    wheels2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,397
Hoosiers do not have good slicks. Their bias ply tires have a high sidewall rate of movement, which leads into unloading. By the time you put enough air in them to prevent so much sidewall movement, you don't have very much contact patch or uniform pattern.

MT is the best full bias ply slick available. It still isn't a great tire, since it's bias ply, but it's the closest to reasonable.

I really recommend you trying the slick radials. It's worth a tenth and you keep your tread width throughout the whole run. They wont grow either.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...radial&N=700+115+4294854917&Ntk=KeywordSearch
mtt-3078r_w.jpg

Is it safe to run a 11.5 wide slick on a stock SC rim without a tube......

my Camaro has MT ET streets with no tube...but I have 48 screws in them to keep them on the rim

dave, I would say neither if you plan on using stock sc wheels. both are too wide for the wheel. yes it will mount and yes it will go down the track. I would not run that on a light car like mine let alone your heavy cars. you will get better traction with a narrower tire on that rim plus a safer less wiggly ride down the track. a 28X10.5 ET street will do much better than either of them on a 7 inch wheel.

I really wish you would invest in a set of good wheels. you will be so happy with them, not only from the increased performance but from the increased stability. Especially since i know you don't like the wiggle on the top end.

I know you don't want to spend the money for a set to only use a couple times a year. but if you get a set i know you will think it was money well spent.

dave, I would say neither if you plan on using stock sc wheels. both are too wide for the wheel. yes it will mount and yes it will go down the track. I would not run that on a light car like mine let alone your heavy cars. you will get better traction with a narrower tire on that rim plus a safer less wiggly ride down the track. a 28X10.5 ET street will do much better than either of them on a 7 inch wheel.

I really wish you would invest in a set of good wheels. you will be so happy with them, not only from the increased performance but from the increased stability. Especially since i know you don't like the wiggle on the top end.

I know you don't want to spend the money for a set to only use a couple times a year. but if you get a set i know you will think it was money well spent.

Kevin,

If I could buy a set of wheels that will bolt on to the fronts and rear without having to change to long wheel studs, I would buy them. Seems like every thing out there is either for a 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle or doesn't have the proper backspacing. I know there are a couple places that will custom build whatever you want, but I'm not racing the cars often enough to justify that.

I'll take another look at the M/Ts.

Casey,

I never knew there was such a thing as a radial slick...I love racing on drag radials, because they feel just like street tires on the top end. I assume these radial slicks would be equally stable.

David

Back