Help!!!

nlfootball42

I have a 95 sc with 62k on it and it has a problem that i just cant figure out. if you start it for the first time of the day it starts on the first couple cranks, but if you get it up to operating temperature, shut it off, and then try to start it again it just cranks and cranks over and eventually starts very roughly and sends a puff of black smoke out the exhaust. I just changed the oxygen sensors, cam position sensor, plugs, and installed new high flow cats. the head gaskets are fine because i block tested the coolant. it seems like the car is getting to much fuel only after it is warmed up and it is flooding it out, but i have no clue what to even check now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no personal experience with this, but others have suggested replacing the crank sensor on cars with symptoms like yours. I'm sure others will chime in and confirm/clarify.

JD

just a thought

My 95' was having this problem fairly regular and after I cleaned,*fiddled* with the MAF a little it seems to have gone away. At least a place to check.

I have no personal experience with this, but others have suggested replacing the crank sensor on cars with symptoms like yours. I'm sure others will chime in and confirm/clarify.

JD

yea maybe try a new crank sensor. but first get some heat sink from a computer store and apply it to the underside of the DIS (grey piece by the a/c compressor) or u may need a new or good used one.

could be a bad colent temp senser.telling computer the engine is still cold when it is at operating temp.

Could be lots of things, but one that comes to mind is a leaky injector. After you shut the car off, one (or more) injectors leaks fuel into its intake port. That makes it really rich when you go to start it up again.

In the morning when the engine is cold, it needs lots of extra fuel anyway, so it starts easier than when hot.

There are some tests you can do with a fuel pressure gauge to see what's happening.

problem

i had the same problem on my 93. turned out to be a bad connection on the maf. at one time someone had put an extra gasket on the connector and although it seemed to be tight there was an intermittent connection. i removed the extra gasket and used a black cable tie to secure it---problem solved for me

Back