94-95 blower on an 89-93

Evan_90SC

I might be getting a good deal on a 94/95 blower and inlet... The question I have is if I put the 94/95 blower on my 90, will I need new injectors so that don't blow up the headgaskets? I have done searches and found that people seem to lean both ways on this issue. Some people say bigger injectors aren't needed, and others say that they are. I already have a flowmaster exhaust and CAI, so the blower upgrade is my next step. :cool:

No, you don't need them. You will end up with an extra vacuum line (for the bypass valve) that you will need to block off. I don't think the change was made until '91. It's an easy bolt on for decent power. I did this on my '89 and now that supercharger sits on my '92. It doesn't take much though to start running out of injectors... i.e. porting the supercharger, OD the supercharger, etc... But if you're running a stock gen 2 M90 ('94-'95) with at most the '89-'93 pulley, you won't need new injectors.

I'd say you might be ok if you run the stock 94 pully but you will be on the edge with the 30's, but if you install the older pully to OD the blower then you will need bigger injectors and obviously a bigger MAF, and at that point a chip is highly recommended. Some may argue the chip, but I can assure you you will be dumping alot of potential power. I'm hoping some day soon to get on a dyno and prove just how much.

42's would be a good step if you dont plan much bigger upgrades for awhile.

Just FYI, I've got 42's on my car with the newer blower OD'd with the old stock pully, and my car is seeing injector duty cycles at 80% at WOT. I'd pretty much bet I'd be seeing 100% with the stock 30's. Also, my car at WOT is pulling in over 900kg/h of air, which means I would be very close to pegging the stock MAF.

Last edited:
I'd say you might be ok if you run the stock 94 pully but you will be on the edge with the 30's, but if you install the older pully to OD the blower then you will need bigger injectors and obviously a bigger MAF, and at that point a chip is highly recommended. Some may argue the chip, but I can ensure you you will be dumping alot of potential power.

I disagree. I ran a ported gen 2 M90 with a 5% OD pulley (roughly 8% OD) 70mm TB and 76mm MAF before I needed larger injectors. Yes, I was on the "edge" and my tune reflected it having the rev limiter set at about 5k. If you're leaving the MAF and TB the same and running at most a stock early style pulley, you'll be fine. That amount of air is within what the MAF can account for as well as what the injectors can supply fuel for. But if you go any more than that, you will need to look at injectors. A MAF would be a good idea at the same time since a tune is pretty much required when you start changing how the air is metered and how the fuel is delivered. You do both at the same time, you can get it tuned just once.

I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing. Although my first step was the supercharger, not the exhaust. On my '89 I was running an early pulley on a '95 supercharger with stock exhaust. I ran it for 20k before I decided to part that car out and install all the performance goodies onto my '92. I've been there and done that.

if he gets a 95 MAF and 95 injectors would he still need to get it tuned since they are paired from the factory or am i off on this?

I disagree. I ran a ported gen 2 M90 with a 5% OD pulley (roughly 8% OD) 70mm TB and 76mm MAF before I needed larger injectors. Yes, I was on the "edge" and my tune reflected it having the rev limiter set at about 5k. If you're leaving the MAF and TB the same and running at most a stock early style pulley, you'll be fine. That amount of air is within what the MAF can account for as well as what the injectors can supply fuel for. But if you go any more than that, you will need to look at injectors. A MAF would be a good idea at the same time since a tune is pretty much required when you start changing how the air is metered and how the fuel is delivered. You do both at the same time, you can get it tuned just once.

I have done exactly what you are thinking of doing. Although my first step was the supercharger, not the exhaust. On my '89 I was running an early pulley on a '95 supercharger with stock exhaust. I ran it for 20k before I decided to part that car out and install all the performance goodies onto my '92. I've been there and done that.

Then explain to me why I'm seeing over 80% injector duty cycle with 42's with my setup????? which is basically nothing other than the 94 blower with 3% OD. I shudder to think how lean the car would be with only running 30's when running flat out, and yes I only limit my RPM's to 5000 since I have an auto.

if he gets a 95 MAF and 95 injectors would he still need to get it tuned since they are paired from the factory or am i off on this?

I believe the eec can adjust for one step up in injector and maf size, pretty sure that's what D. Dalke says.

So you took the pulley off the early model blower and put it on the 94/95 blower...? And ran it with the stock injectors...? My car is only for the street, not the track, so I'll never be running it very hard.

All I want to do is put the newer blower on, with the pulley off my 90, and be able to run the car with no problems, and get the horsepower gain. I just wanted to make sure that by doing the newer blower, having the CAI, and flowmaster exhaust, that I won't encounter any problems and I will get a gain in power. Does this sound reasonable? :rolleyes: My car came with a CAI...and I've never looked at it very closely, but would it just have the stock MAF on it?...If I just did the newer blower with early pulley, with the flowmaster and stock MAF, (if that's what I have), would I have to get a tune?

Last edited:
your looking at about a 3% overdrive on the supercharger. one thing to think about instead of replacing the blower pulley is to change the jackshaft pulley to an aluminum 5% overdrive unit. not only is it easier to change (4 bolts instead of using a puller) but s/c belt slippage is not an issue and it's alot lighter which is less rataional mass and thats power to the wheels instead of spinning a chunk of steel.

your looking at about a 3% overdrive on the supercharger. one thing to think about instead of replacing the blower pulley is to change the jackshaft pulley to an aluminum 5% overdrive unit. not only is it easier to change (4 bolts instead of using a puller) but s/c belt slippage is not an issue and it's alot lighter which is less rataional mass and thats power to the wheels instead of spinning a chunk of steel.

If he puts a 5% jackshaft pulley which will be about 8% od as you mentioned he's need to install an i/c fan to help lower the higher air temps. caused by the blower spinning faster, the eec will pull timing as the air temps go up. You're not going to have any belt slip with the early style blower pulley but I would still install an i/c fan, lower air temps. equals more hp, just look at the difference in these cars in the summer and the winter, they wake up big time in the cold weather.

Last edited:
I think what '90 SC is looking for is
1) ease of installation and
2) least amount of out of pocket expenses.​

Sure, injectors, MAF would be good...so would a jackshaft pulley, but I think people are getting off the point here. The question is, can you run a '94-'95 supercharger on an earlier model SC without upgrading anything else.

The short answer is "yes," but with limitations. You can't effectively run anything more than an early style pulley as you will encounter higher ACT temps which in turn requires more fuel to counteract detonation. More fuel means larger injectors. No porting on the supercharger...that will allow more airflow...more air needs more fuel...pretty simple there. Same goes for MAF and TB as well.

'90 SC,

My SC is pretty much a street only car. We lost our only 1/4 mile track a couple years ago, and nothing has been done since. Up until a year and a half ago (Got sick) it was driven daily. It would be still except I had another car given to me. I don't race my SC other than at most 1x per year, on average (that's going to the track). Now, just because I don't race it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Believe it or not, daily driving is tougher on it than racing it occassionally. So just because it's not a "race" car, it can still be abused like one.

You will be able to bolt on the supercharger and pulley without needing a tune. It's not like you'll be bolting on an MPX with a MP inlet plenum. The '94-'95 supercharger is just more efficient than the earlier style (coated rotors and gearing are why). The main reason for increase hp is for slightly more airflow and slightly less parasitic drag. Those two things combine for maybe 20 hp if you're lucky. My '89 ran a best of 15.2 with the '95 supercharger on it with virtually no other mods. It's not going to turn you SC into a race car by any means.

fturner,

I have no idea why you are running 80% duty cycle with 42s. I haven't taken a look at your member page yet to see what your other mods are. I'm not running that much duty cycle on my 42s yet and I'm running a 10% pulley now pushing about 15 psi through an IC that the fan didn't work the last time I had it tuned. Maybe your ACT temps are through the roof or maybe you've got one of those factory freak M90s that produces 20 lbs of boost on only a 5% pulley. I don't know enough about your application to know why you're having issues with that. We've got a dozen or so SCs around here, and only one of them is a freak, producing 20 lbs of boost on only a 5% pulley. Hhis supercharger has been ported though. He's got open exhaust and a very nice 2x IC. His ACT temps are still through the roof so bad that Dave D had a hard time tuning him. In the end, I think it is still leaving significant power on the table.

The only thing I would add to this setup right now would be an IC fan. That will help an overtaxed IC to begin with keep the temps within reason. You will not see a significant increase in temps from a stock '94-'94 pulley to a stock '89-'93 pulley. And still, no tune required.

okay, what i ment to say was the jackshaft instead of the s/c pulley. but i understand that you are right about the i/c fan. i think that it should be on all single i/c no matter what power level from stock on up.

I think what '90 SC is looking for is
1) ease of installation and
2) least amount of out of pocket expenses.​

Sure, injectors, MAF would be good...so would a jackshaft pulley, but I think people are getting off the point here. The question is, can you run a '94-'95 supercharger on an earlier model SC without upgrading anything else.

The short answer is "yes," but with limitations. You can't effectively run anything more than an early style pulley as you will encounter higher ACT temps which in turn requires more fuel to counteract detonation. More fuel means larger injectors. No porting on the supercharger...that will allow more airflow...more air needs more fuel...pretty simple there. Same goes for MAF and TB as well.

'90 SC,

My SC is pretty much a street only car. We lost our only 1/4 mile track a couple years ago, and nothing has been done since. Up until a year and a half ago (Got sick) it was driven daily. It would be still except I had another car given to me. I don't race my SC other than at most 1x per year, on average (that's going to the track). Now, just because I don't race it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Believe it or not, daily driving is tougher on it than racing it occassionally. So just because it's not a "race" car, it can still be abused like one.

You will be able to bolt on the supercharger and pulley without needing a tune. It's not like you'll be bolting on an MPX with a MP inlet plenum. The '94-'95 supercharger is just more efficient than the earlier style (coated rotors and gearing are why). The main reason for increase hp is for slightly more airflow and slightly less parasitic drag. Those two things combine for maybe 20 hp if you're lucky. My '89 ran a best of 15.2 with the '95 supercharger on it with virtually no other mods. It's not going to turn you SC into a race car by any means.

Yeah you pretty much hit it perfectly...I'm just looking for a little horsepower gain, and I might be able to get a good deal on a 94/95 blower, so I thought that I should seize the opportunity. That is all I am going to be doing with the engine for awhile. I'm not going to be going crazy with it, so all that this thread was for, was for me to make sure what I want to do is going to be ok, without doing any damage to the engine later down the road. From everyone's great input, I've concluded that putting on the 94/95 blower will be fine, with no other modifications needed for my car. I would definetly spend more money and put in new injectors, IC fan, and all that other stuff, IF I was going to be going crazy with my engine, but I'm not. Doing all that would turn the car into more of a "race" car, and that's not what I want or intended to do. Thanks everyone for all your input! I'm really excited to hopefully get this blower and make this all work! Any more input or stories are greatly appreciated. I'll keep you all posted on what happens next. Thanks again!

Don't run the earlier style pully then, otherwise I really hope you've got good HG's . Dave D highly recommends running 36's at least with an 3% OD'd later style blower, and I can see why. All it would take is one WOT run to pass someone on a nice cool night, run out of injector and peg your MAF = kiss your motor by.

007 - With my current setup I bury the boost gauge by 4700 rpm's which I expect is normal for a 3% OD'd later blower. I also went through my datalogs again and I have actually drawn in enough air to peg a stock MAF. I'm also not running an IC fan at this time, but my ACT's very rarely ever go over 100, and thats only after about 30 seconds of WOT. I will be installing a fan soon though. I'm also advising him on what to do to keep his motor together, and lower the risk of blowing something... cause that would be more expensive, unless motor rebuilds are cheaper these days than a set of 36/42 injectors.

If 30# injectors where good enough to handle a later style blower, then why did Ford upgrade to 36's and run a much richer AFR for WOT?

Last edited:
Don't run the earlier style pully then, otherwise I really hope you've got good HG's . Dave D highly recommends running 36's at least with an 3% OD'd later style blower, and I can see why. All it would take is one WOT run to pass someone on a nice cool night, run out of injector and peg your MAF = kiss your motor by.

Well I don't plan on ever running WOT for an extended period of time, if at all for that matter. So if I just run the 94/95 pulley will that make things better? I was under the impression that it would be better to run the 89-93 pulley on the 94/95 blower. If all that it does is create extra power, then I don't need to do that, and I'll just run the 94/95 pulley. I guess what I'm wondering is... is it more risky to run the early pulley than the newer pulley? Plus if I have a bigger MAF will that make things better?

Well I don't plan on ever running WOT for an extended period of time, if at all for that matter. So if I just run the 94/95 pulley will that make things better? I was under the impression that it would be better to run the 89-93 pulley on the 94/95 blower. If all that it does is create extra power, then I don't need to do that, and I'll just run the 94/95 pulley. I guess what I'm wondering is... is it more risky to run the early pulley than the newer pulley? Plus if I have a bigger MAF will that make things better?

Just put the 94/95 blower on and run it with whatever pulley it comes with to see how much boost it makes. If you keep the boost down to about 14 pounds it will be fine. If it only makes 12 or 13 pounds, put the stock early model pulley on it.

Early model pulley is slightly smaller than the late model pulley....installing it on the late model blower will spin it about 3% faster than the larger diameter late model pulley.

David

Last edited:
Well I don't plan on ever running WOT for an extended period of time, if at all for that matter.
I'm not trying to be smart here but if you're not going to run hard at all why bother installing a different supercharger at all? I wouldn't think there will be a very noticeable seat of the pants improvement for just normal driving. I'm just guessing, maybe someone else knows.

Kurt

007 - With my current setup I bury the boost gauge by 4700 rpm's which I expect is normal for a 3% OD'd later blower.

I'd say that's not common. Like I state before, there's only one guy around here easily pegging his boost gauge with a '94+ supercharger. His case just happens to be one of those freaks as I assume yours is too. Your supercharger is "mildly ported" according to your member page as well as your heads. So comparing what you run with what a completely stock '94-'95 supercharger runs in out the window. I don't even peg my boost guage with a 10% pulley on my late model supercharger. And I didn't even on stock heads an only a 5% pulley. In fact, I only put about 13.6 PSI out at peak either way. Oh, and the stock boost gauges aren't that accurate to begin with. I'm going from dyno numbers, not the gauge.

I'm not arguing that what you're saying is not valid. Your points are valid and will simply ensure longer performance from an engine. However, once you say that you "need" items X, Y and Z in order to install item A, that is not always the case. Would it be better to install larger injectors and MAF as well as a double IC at least with a fan? Sure, but when you add up the cost you're talking over $1k to a guy that probably doesn't just have that money laying around. I don't, that's for sure! That alone can scare someone and intimidate them basically into selling their SC because it's not worth the hassle. When in fact, they can do what they want to do, but there's a slight margin of risk involved. I took that into consideration when I purchased my '95 supercharger. It worked well on 2 different cars and ported extensively with 5% OD before I maxed out my 30lb injectors. I had my rev limiter set (not by the foot, but by programming) at 5k rpm and that was at or near 100% duty cycle. But I had more mods too.

I stand by what I said before: install the supercharger and AT MOST use the early style pulley. There are limitations to my advice of using the later style supercharger. Anything more than stock (which is what you have) then injectors become a neccessity, not a luxury.

PS, you must have the BEST stock IC that was ever made by not seeing over 100* ACT temps with your single core IC from the factory with no fan. That is truely amazing! My custom build double IC with fan barely manage to keep inlet temps under 95*F (recorded on pull #4 on the dyno that day, ambient of 76*F)...or are you talking *C? That makes a BIG difference there and quite misleading down here below the border.

Well considering I was doing the datalogging with outside temps being around 32F.. hence the reason for the fan(s) going in before spring gets here.

I'd say you'd be totally fine with the late model blower and early pulley with no other mods.I know someone that went 13.0 while still using stock 30lb injectors (I definetly wouldn't be running them with his setup but his motor is still alive)So you should have no issues with what you're trying to do.

Jay

Back