Why has the Whipple Disappeared

Dahoopd

Just wondering why they are no longer available when everyone that has one has done so well with them. I am not asking for any debate of a blower vs. blower thing. Just wondering why they arent available anymore.

The Whipple has never been offered as a kit for an SC.

If you mean the AR, then it's because only one person was doing the kits and AR pretty much cut off overseas activity (Sweden company.)

And the fact that the super coupe community has very little money. The same reason there will never be a 'new' design of heads..

The Whipple has never been offered as a kit for an SC.

If you mean the AR, then it's because only one person was doing the kits and AR pretty much cut off overseas activity (Sweden company.)

Sorry, I meant AR. So why were they cut off. Someone had to be getting them. It doesnt make any sense. If there was a kit that fit the SC, wouldnt they still be available, its not like Ford discontinuing parts.

Wowww

Dont say that to soon :) You never know what is being designed or in the works as of now

Hopefully your designing some videos, pictures, or dyno slips. :cool:

With that said look at MP, not enough business and he's rolling back production.

Last edited:
Ask Dave. My guess would be they just aren't worth the hassle when you see what is available from Magnum Powers.

Ask Dave. My guess would be they just aren't worth the hassle when you see what is available from Magnum Powers.

That is a true statement. From my experence fabricating parts, some parts are fairly easy to make and give a good return for the effort. Others seem to be a lot of work with little return. Over the years I have been watching a lot of guys working to produce parts for the community disappear do to a lack of profitability. There is also a factor of lilibilty to consider to the builder of high performace parts as well as just having time to do the work. Right now building parts is finiancing my SC habit but I have to split the time between working on my own car and working on parts. There is always going to be people that will spend the money to have something custom (whipple, AR, turbo) but the majority will want something for the least amount of money and custom blowers aint the cheapest route, but will always be the most efficent. The whipple was one of the first blowers fitted to a SC but not made into a kit. It will be intresting to see if the owner of that big whipple makes good HP from it in the near future.

Ken

Dahoopd said:
If there was a kit that fit the SC, wouldnt they still be available, its not like Ford discontinuing parts.
XR7Dave was the one that offered a "custom-built AR "kit" for the SC, but AFAIK could no longer obtain the blowers at a reasonable cost. Still, the following statement is probably closer to the truth...

Mike8675309 said:
Did you guys sleep through (what I call) the "blower wars"? Dave withstood no end of grief and criticism over that kit! Go back and read some of the threads on it.

Toms-SC said:
And the fact that the super coupe community has very little money.
And, I'd like to add spend what they have on near-useless parts that provide minimal or NO gains in performance. Meanwhile, guys who are working hard to bring parts to our community that really DO improve performance are suffering from lack of sales and heavy criticism on cost :rolleyes:

{I'm in a really BAD mood today so I'm going to continue...}

Toms-SC said:
With that said look at MP, not enough business and he's rolling back production.
Right on. MP has some really good stuff for the SC, but sales are suffering. Why? I certainly don't understand it :(. People don't seem to have a problem dropping cash for a "screaming demon" coil pack, 75mm TB, aftermarket MAF, or cold-air kit (all useless items on a near-stock SC), yet (as an example) WON'T spend a measly amount on a custom-designed chin spoiler which would help ANY SC (which BTW has been tested and proven to lower temps). It boggles the mind :eek:

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms-SC
And the fact that the super coupe community has very little money. The same reason there will never be a 'new' design of heads..

Wowww

Dont say that to soon :) You never know what is being designed or in the works as of now
Y'know what? Despite the fact that you're running as fast as you are, I have learned NOTHING from you! Same goes for Rich. It's all smoke & mirrors with you two guys.

I have learned sooooo much from the many members here who SHARE their knowledge and experience. They discuss the problems they encounter, ideas they have, and work collectively to further our knowledge (which no doubt you have benefitted from), but you have not given anything back to this community (except maybe attitude).

If there is a new head design or "other" things in the works, we sure won't learn it from you!

Amen Paul93SC. Over the next coming years the SC community is really going to dry up. I'd suggest getting what you want, now.

" ... yet (as an example) WON'T spend a measly amount on a custom-designed chin spoiler which would help ANY SC (which BTW has been tested and proven to lower temps). It boggles the mind"

I put the MP chin spolier on my '90 SC. With the OEM air dam and the "under" part of the bumper cover missing because the original owner ripped it off backing off a curb (after he lowered the car), I had nothing to push air up from under the car.

With the chin spoiler I'm running 190 degrees around town. It will hit 200 degrees when I'm beating on it but come right back to 190 when I back to just cruising at normal road speeds.

Before the chin spoiler I was seeing temps close to 240 sometimes. It makes a big difference. A great product for the money.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Amen Paul93SC. Over the next coming years the SC community is really going to dry up. I'd suggest getting what you want, now.

I would disagree Tom. I dont see the community drying up. There are still many die hard SC lovers out there. I dont plan to go anywhere, are you?. Theres always someone who steps into to fill the void left by others in parts. The fact is that I see a lot of SC guys get down on the SC because they want fast cars like the big dogs. If its all about going fast they should get into a V8 & lighter car more suited to racing. I want a fast car too but want it to be more street than strip like yourself, a ballance. Might not be as many die hard Thunderbird guy as I would like to see but I still see a thriving SC community down the road.

Ken

Last edited:
I can tell you what the problem is.

You port your factory 89-93 blower....
Maybe upgrade to a 94-95 blower
Then you go get an Magnasun S port..
Then you get an MPII
Then you get an MPIII
Then you get an MPX

Everytime that guy upgrades he needs to sell his old one to recoupe a small fraction of his initial investment. So someone is buying all those older not latest and greatest blowers. The market eventually goes stagnent.

If everyone currently producing custom parts for the SC just stopped producing others would take their place. Maybe not another MP but individuals and enthusiasts yes.

As for getting AR's that has always been an issue because you just cant legitimately get them.

It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of hits on a product for Double Deez. The way he and Charles have gone about sales of production are opposites of one another. Charles invests his money on potential products, then sells the products once his money is already invested. As for Double Deez, he takes the people that are interested and tells them to pay half now, then the other half when it was done, or whatever. As a generalization, he doesn't have HIS money invested since the funds are supported by the individual consumer for the kits. GIMME MONEY AND I'LL BUILD IT FO YOOUUU, SON....Stuff like that.

The way Charles set his deal up was inefficient. There were only stock blowers available at a time, then all of a sudden the MPII is produced. Cool, a new blower....EVERYONE GEET OOONNEEE, and since it was the first aftermarket blower for an SC produced, it was successful. Then the MPIII came out, then soon after the MPX came out.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Initially introduce a product that is at its peak potential, not offer it in stages. If the MPX was available in place of the MPII YEARS ago, he would have sold an abundance and they would still be selling.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem facing companies like MP is the mature declining market. Back in the mid 90s these cars were top of the line Ford products and the people buying them had more disposable income than people buying the cars today.

David

so ask what you want and I will answer....

Y'know what? Despite the fact that you're running as fast as you are, I have learned NOTHING from you! Same goes for Rich. It's all smoke & mirrors with you two guys.

I have learned sooooo much from the many members here who SHARE their knowledge and experience. They discuss the problems they encounter, ideas they have, and work collectively to further our knowledge (which no doubt you have benefitted from), but you have not given anything back to this community (except maybe attitude).

If there is a new head design or "other" things in the works, we sure won't learn it from you![/QUOTE]
You are not really talking about me now are you???
I have had a "open book" outlook for as long as I have been here. I have helped many of the people around here. My door to my shop and home have been open to ANYONE that has needed to visit..
Please show me where in ANY thread that I have not been open with what I have been doing...
Now as far as heads go, there are heads that are out there for our cars, all you have to do is step up and spend the bucks to get a set...
I know that something must have set you off, but please don't throw me into the same class as some others that won't or CAN'T prove or tell anything.....Rich

I think the biggest problem facing companies like MP is the mature declining market. Back in the mid 90s these cars were top of the line Ford products and the people buying them had more disposable income than people buying the cars today.

David

Good point David

I talked with Charles after my runs with in depth detail of my M90 how we built it he told me there is no market for SC stuff no more its dieing off. He had thought's of building a raised intake for one other car in hopes of gaining sales to buld more but the big picture is the cost to build them is more than he can get back out of them. The fact is the SC you can go out and buy now days at $800.00 to $1,000 and the people just dont have the funds to buy high dollor performance blowers, front mounts, raised intakes

MP's big market is in the Lightnings, Saleens, Mustangs and they make a big money off the performance parts he builds for them. I think the AR's the cost to built the kit and the amount of intrest in people wanting to buy them is very few to over come the cost and the builder takes a big loss

Last edited:
The market is dry for Charles cause of how he introduced his parts there is no need to have the S-port,MpI,MpII,MpIII,and MPX.You can't design/sell 5different blowers for SC's and expect them all to sell a whole bunch of unit's.Granted they all have there place on our cars.But when you can get easy 12's out of an MpII.Why then would you be looking for an upgrade(When most people only want 12's or sometimes 13's)?Also Jim why are you or why should you be a spokes person for Mp?I mean all you have is Charles's blower inlet(modified at that)and maybe his CIA.If anyone one should be a speaker box fo him it should be Kevin(which has a bunch of his parts) yeah "he's only in the 10's" right now but when the track's back open he should be in the 9's without any one off parts (minus what pulley set-ups Charles has made for him and hell at least they're serp. style and not cogged)and his combo is out there for anyone to see hell he posted his cam card on here.So if anyone one should be representing Mp it should be Kevin.A person who always posts up video's of his runs and shows up to the shootout to prove what himself and his car is all about without any excuses.

Jay

Last edited:
Back