Vibration from rear end

blueblur89

I have a 89 5 spd and when I let off the throttle with it in gear (engine slowing down car) I get a rather harsh vibration which I believe is coming from somewhere in the back end. If I push the clutch in, it goes away. It also doesn't make any noise when driving at a steady speed or accelerating. I got under the car the other day and didn't see anything obvious (driveshaft universals seemed good). Anybody have any ideas?

I sometimes get vibrations from the rear end. I find it's usually within minutes before shatting....

check the bolts on the driveshaft where in bolts to the rear. there's four 12 point bolts if im remembering right. if they came lose they might do that

Similar problem...

I just went through a similar problem on my 1979 Ranchero, Felt like a pinion bearing going bad. I don't have a press so I took it to a shop. They found the rear universal joint had frozen in place and gotten VERY stiff. replaced it and the problem is gone!! I had them replace the front one too, just to be safe. I figure $100 was a lot better then a rearend rebuild!! Not a shake in the car now up to 85!! No vibrations, just nice and smooth.
So check the U-joints!! Mine were both solid if you checked them by hand.
Lance

The same thing happened on one of my SCs. I took it and put it on a lift. It seems one of the bolts that holds the rear end to the frame had come out. This caused the driveshaft angle to change when torque was applied, thus causing a very noticable vibration. I replaced the bolt and that took care of it. There are two bolts there and they are pretty long, one on each side of the pumpkin; if you are missing one or its loose it should be pretty obvious.

Back