Q about Re-installing aftermarket roller rockers...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im doing a headgasket job on the 89. When i did the engine I installed the motorsport 1.73 roller rockers. I shimmed them properly and got longer pushrods.

My question is, now that I just need to put them back in there and not see if they need to be shimmed...can I just tighten them to a certain torque or do I still need to go rocker by rocker and turning the crank. Any help appreciated, thanks!

I had some harland adj. rockers and had to shim them. Make sure your bolt is long enough to thread into the head. Or you will pull the threads out.

That didnt help you with your question but just thought id add my .02

Doug

Im doing a headgasket job on the 89. When i did the engine I installed the motorsport 1.73 roller rockers. I shimmed them properly and got longer pushrods.

My question is, now that I just need to put them back in there and not see if they need to be shimmed...can I just tighten them to a certain torque or do I still need to go rocker by rocker and turning the crank. Any help appreciated, thanks!

If you just need to reinstall them and have already installed them and established the proper rocker arm to valve tip geomtrey.Then yes you should be able to just install them and torque them down to specs and be good to go.

P.S.I still got those SC rims and tires if you want them 50 bucks come and get'em.

Jay

Did you have the heads shaved? I am wondering why you got longer pushrods if you had to shim the rockers. Generally you need to shim if the pushrods are too long due to machine work.

It also depends on the thickness of the HG. There should not be THAT much of an installed difference, but if you shaved the heads and used a different gasket, then you nned to re shiim them.

Chris

Just for piece of mind I would redue them all.I would hate to find out when the engine is reasembled that you have to tear it down again.It doesnt take all that long to do.Just my 02 cents worth.:D

I would agree with Greg. There is too much money in a buildup to take a chance for a few extra minutes of effort.

Back