emissions FAILED!!!!

bcr2886

OK just got back from the (clean air car check) fu@*ers) anyway I failed just replaced the o2 and maf. hydrocarbons are supposed to be under 1.40 mine were 4.56 (failed) if i remeber right thats what the cats take care of right?

also oxides of nitrogen are supposed to be under 3.00 mine tested at 5.27 (what causes this is tis controlled by the cats to) my cats are 5 years old and the cars had 70xxx miles put on it in that time it has 183xxx on it all oriignal (the sc was replaced before i got it with a little under 90xxx on it. anyway

my carbon monoxide was 18.70 and it passed it only has to be under 20.00 and i'm good( actually passed that one

is my cats the cause of my failure???????

any help greatly appreciated!!!!!!

thank you!

you have EGR on your car? I think that controls Hc's. Or possibly o2 sensors. I know its one of those 2, its been a while since I was an emmisions inspector.

But new cats usually clear everything up for a while, but why not have it checked out and fixed properly and probably get better gas mileage too. :D

thanks for the try!

well thanks mike but after some research on the topic i came up with this

egr valve main function is to lower nitrogen oxides

the cats main function is to lower hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide

thanks again for trying though

I just went through this nightmare in August with my "only" problem being NOx.

You are right, EGR's purpose is to lower NOx. Cats can either be classified as two-way cats or as three way cats. The two-way cats have only one stage of catalyst which takes care of both HC and CO. The three-way cats have a second stage of catalyst which controls NOx.

I think my 93SC stick originally had 3 cats, a two-way cat in each down tube and a special NOx cat at the Y in front of the resonator. I have replaced the entire exhaust and included new Catco three-way cats in the down tubes. Even so, my NOx is still running higher than when stock probably due to my new cats being installed farther back than the stock cats and therefore running cooler. My new cats are on either side of the manual tranny.

Even so, I got MORE VARIATION among my 4 tests (3 failures and one pass) via different testing stations than before and after I put in the new cats. I FAILED right after putting in the new cats. Then did nothing but go to another tester (recommended) and passed.

Go figure - what an ffing pain in the ass!

Jon

Try this!

I put on some Hi-flo cats 2 years ago and since then I have failed the emmission test twice. Both times the SC was High on Nox. The guy who did the test disconnected the Octane sensor. We ran the test again and it passed. This worked twice for me so it's at least worth a shot.....

Back